Scheduled LAVH confused by the information here - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

confused by the information here confused by the information here

Unread 11-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Re: confused by the information here

I would say it would be very hard if not impossible to return to work after 3 days. I work from home and went back to work part time one week post op. Granted I work from home, but even that was hard. I was spent after 4 hours. I am at week 2 post op now working full time. Even though I can work 8 hours now, I am right back to bed at 8.5 hours. I cannot even imagine commuting and working. My doctor gave me permission to work after 1 week only cause I work from home. As others have said the vaginal area can get VERY sore and I also start to feel pressure at the end of my work day. Good luck with your decision!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 11:22 PM

My doc told me no driving for 7 days (unless I was feeling GREAT day 5, decided to drive day 6...or if I wasn't feeling great day 7, delay it). I had mine 3 weeks ago tomorrow evening....you're going to be uncomfortable, healing, etc. I'd suggest at least a week off. At least. The more vigorous your job, the longer I'd suggest.
Unread 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM

I had a LAVH on 11/9 I haven't been able to leave the house and it's been 7 days. I can get up and move around with minimal pain but could NOT imagine returning to work so quickly. People recover on their own time. What my GYN told me was that if I do nothing but take care of myself for two weeks, I will have a faster recovery. By week four I can start to work out again and by week 6 I should be fully recovered. You shouldn't even drive a car 1 week post-op. And what I read in another forum is if you can stomp your foot on the ground with no pain, you are cleared to drive. IMO if you push yourself too hard, you can risk other issues that would wind up putting you through more. PLUS.. it's been 7 days and i'm still swollen and bloated. Couldn't imagine putting on my work clothes right now. I took 6 weeks off work-- I will decide when I am ready to go back if any sooner. But my health is #1.

Good luck to you ((HUGS))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM

I'm really glad you're re-thinking the amount of time you will probably need off work. It's not just a matter of pain, either.... although in my case there was a good deal of pain. (My surgery was abdominal, though, with a hip-to-hip incision because of an additional procedure.)

The other thing I'm talking about is fatigue. You may be completely overwhelmed with exhaustion for a while. Even the simplest medical procedures mean physical trauma to your body, and it needs rest to heal fully.

Here's hoping your surgery goes well and you're able to go back to work in a couple of weeks.
Unread 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM

I had a laparoscopic cystectomy/oophorectomy on 8 NOV and will be having a total hysterectomy in Januaury. My surgeon told me I could be back at work in 3 days after the first surgery. That just did not sound right to me, so I arranged to take off 2 weeks, and I am glad I did. Also, the post-op instructions I received stated no driving for at least 7 days.

I am not a wimp. I am 51, in good physical shape (32 years in the military, retired 2010). I work at a desk job, and the point someone else made about the strain of sitting up for extended periods is valid. I have an incision just above my pubic area through which they removed the cyst and ovary. It is still pretty bruised and tender more than a week post-op. Your procedure sounds more involved and you will probably need at least 2 weeks to recover.

Several people warned me not to make the mistake of going back to work too soon. If you can take the time off, do it. I have also been circumspect about my surgery. I work as a civilian in a predominantly military organization, and the men really don't have a need or a desire to know about my "female stuff."

I wish you all the best for a successful surgery and a speedy (though not rushed) recovery.
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:02 AM

I personally know someone that I work with who had her hysterectomy (LAVH) on Friday and she came back to work on Monday. She didn't even let anyone in the office know she was having this surgery and she did just fine. SHe ONLY told me when I announced that I was having a hysterectomy (she didnt want anyone to know and was inspired that I announced that I was having one)

She was shocked when her doctor told her that she could go back to work Monday. We also have desk jobs. I told her that I personally felt that was too soon and that I would NEVER go back to work before a follow-up appt. I am personally taking the fully 4-6 weeks off my doctor recommended EVEN if I do not need it.
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:20 PM

I had a LAVH June 15 and went back to work at 3-1/2 weeks post op (desk job) and then only worked 1/2 days for 1 week. I can't imagine having gone back to work after only 3 days.

You're going to be extremely sore, swollen and very tired for the first few weeks! You will probably have issues with constipation that first week out from surgery - which is very common but can make for some very uncomfortable days! I wasn't allowed to drive the first 2 weeks. No "real" working out until week 12. No bending, lifting, pushing, pulling, straining, twisting etc for 6 weeks! I am surprised your doc told you you could go back to work so soon. We don't have the bikini cut of those that had a TAH, but we still had an organ removed. You will also lose your cervix, so you will have an internal incision with stitches that will need time to heal properly.

Remember one thing - you only have one chance to heal properly. So please plan on taking the time to do so! Good luck to you!!
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM

I work in a dental office,im an assistant/ everything else, I move around alot, alot of bending , twisting,picking up ,putting down
my plan is a month off,plan is Davinci ,cervix and uterus removed~~ now after all is said and done dont know what I will be coming home with, 2 C-sections and a tubal ligation dont know what the will find, but trust him completely, Im not nervous ,just waiting to get it over with.2 weeks Post-Op I will be going with the DH and our 3 dogs to florida (driving) well Im sure at least for the drive down I wont be in any shape to drive, hopefully when we get back I will be able to get back to work. It will be 4 weeks, so that is the plan, will see how the plan works
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:43 PM

My doctor told me no driving as long as I'm on narcotic pain meds, which was just for the first few hours after surgery.

Everyone heals very differently. I had my surgery on Tuesday and I have been feeling extremely well the past two days.

Yesterday I managed the pain I had with Toradol and today I only took an ibuprofen when I woke up at 10 am. Am I ready to go back? No. The doctor has me on at least 4 weeks leave, but I have very few restrictions. The biggest ones are no lifting anything over ten pounds or any kind of vaginal insertion for six weeks post op.

Tommorrow is going to be the first day that I will be spending any great deal of time out of the house, but I'm not going to push it either.

All I can say is go by how you feel after surgery, but don't push it. Remember you only have one shot in getting your healing right so don't go back to work until you are ready and your doctor clears you to do so.
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:59 PM

I got my FMLA papers back from the doctors office and it said I wouldnt return till after Dec 31st - so technically, I'm looking at five to five and a half weeks of work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register