Cysts: Keep Ovaries or Not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cysts:  Keep Ovaries or Not? Cysts: Keep Ovaries or Not?

Unread 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Cysts: Keep Ovaries or Not?

I am scheduled to have a LSH on December 21st for chronic pelvic pain, bleeding, and endometriosis. I have a history of ovarian cysts and have had two previous surgeries to remove cysts, however both were on the same ovary. The doctor has left the decision of whether to keep one or both ovaries to me. I'm just not sure what to do. The doc is hesistant to remove both ovaries, because I would go into menopause at 38 years old. However, if we leave the ovaries there is a chance of recurrent cysts. She said we could take the one that has had the cysts and leave the other and it would eventually pick up with the hormone production levels. I'm just not sure what to do. I don't want to go into menopause at my age, but also don't want to take the chance of another cyst and possible surgery. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Re: Keep Ovaries or Not?

Keep one if you can. The biggest mistake I made was deciding to remove both of mine. I didn't want any further surgery. I also had problems with cysts. Wish I would have researched more on this site. I learned of this site after the fact.
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Re: Cysts: Keep Ovaries or Not?

teacherlady9901

I'm sorry you find yourself facing surgery but am very glad you've joined and hope you'll benefit from the wealth of information and support here.

My personal choice would be to keep one (or both) but I've not dealt with ovarian cysts. It is a very difficult decision and, ultimately, you must do what is right for you. Hopefully, it won't be too long before others reply with their experiences.

Please check out our <link> Pre-Op Page which is packed with information, and you may also find it very useful to read through other threads on the topic here, in the Pre-Op Support forum. Please also don't hesitate to visit our Endometriosis Support Forum for endo-specific input if you've any concerns.

Sending all good wishes and we're here to support you ~ every step of the way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2011, 12:27 PM

*Hugs* Teacherlady, I had a similar decision to make. I ultimately decided to have both ovaries (both had cysts) removed though I waited until the day of surgery (in pre-op) to tell my Doctor my decision so that I gave myself until the very last moment to back out if I decided I only wanted one removed. I had cysts on both ovaries, though one was MUCH larger than the other one.
I am only a week out from surgery so I can only tell you how I feel now, without much time post op, but I feel like I made the right decision for me! I had ovarian cysts as a teenager (one the size of an orange that burst and required emergency surgery) and they started reoccurring again when I hit perimenopause. I decided that I did not want to have to deal with the pain and possible surgery again due to ovarian cysts. Right now I am really happy about my decision. Best of luck for a speedy and pain free recovery!
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

HI teacherlady,
I have been battling cyst since I was 12 yrs old and would end up having surgeries every couple of years.
I decided to have both ovaries taken and feel much better and I'm glad I made the decision to have them both removed.
I have been experiencing night sweats but not bad and have started supplements to see if that helps.
Good Luck with your decision!
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses and the support. I am so glad that I found this website. I'm still not certain what I am going to do, however I am leaning towards keeping one ovary and letting her take the one that has had the cysyts previously. I am going to talk to my doctor again at the pre-op appointment and go from there. I don't have to decide until the day of the surgery, so at least I am not rushed for a decision.
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:58 PM

I have a history of cysts, especially on the right. I plan on keeping both my ovaries. I really don't want to have another surgery but I REALLY don't want to go into menopause, I'm 37. So my doctor and I have decided to try a low dose BCP to stop the ovulation process. However, if between now and when I finally get my surgery, I have another really bad cyst I may choose to lose the right one. It is such a personal decision. Good luck!

Edited to say: I am fairly healthy, no hypertension and I don't smoke. So my Doctor said I will be fine to be on BCP until menopause. We shall see.
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM

I was faced with this decision and after talking to some friends who'd had similar situations, opted to have both ovaries removed (I'm 41). I looked at it this way - I've been in pain from this since I was 12 - almost 30 years. It's landed me in the ER several times, had one surgical cyst removal, and pain monthly. Remove the whole works, and it will never happen again. Yes, I might have other concerns - but this pain is gone, forever.

That said, if you have one ovary that's been "normal" and the other giving you problems, then it might be a good option to consider keeping the one. I believe if I'd been in your position I'd have done that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register