LSH 11-22-11, just told something very disturbing... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH 11-22-11, just told something very disturbing... LSH 11-22-11, just told something very disturbing...

Unread 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM
LSH 11-22-11, just told something very disturbing...

Hi all,

I am having an LSH done this coming Tuesday. I chose a surgeon based on my OR rotation during nursing school. I observed this particular surgeon doing several gyn surgeries and I know him to be very good. I also observed one of his partners doing gyn surgery and it was mortifying. During the surgeries he performed that I witnessed, he told inappropriate jokes, guffawed, cut up, etc. That's not so bad, but at one point, as he was being helped into his gown, he pointed at the woman's genitals (she was prepped and unconscious) and made remarks about them - how she had shaved, the size of her labia, etc. I was utterly mortified. The surg techs just laughed it off, as I'm sure they either enjoy participating in it, or don't dare say anything. I also have more history with this guy. While in labor with my 4th son (I had a midwife who is part of this doctor's practice) he kept coming into the room and making remarks such as "things are going kind of slow in here, the OR is open if you need it" - essentially he was being a freaking arsehole. My labor was progressing perfectly well - he is just one of 'those kinds' of doctors.

Anyway, I was speaking to my surgeon's coordinator a couple of days ago and she told me that Dr. X (the bad one) would be "assisting" my surgeon - she acted as if I were so lucky to be getting a "two-fer". I didn't say anything to her, but all I could think was "OH HELL TO THE NO HE WON'T BE." I just wonder if it is within my rights to refuse to have this other doctor in on my surgery. Preop is tomorrow, and I guess I will just be up-front with my doctor. It's very awkward though, being that they're colleagues. But I feel VERY, VERY uncomfortable with this other doctor. I absolutely do not like him and absolutely do not want him anywhere near me, whether I am conscious or not.

What would you do? I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM
Re: LSH 11-22-11, just told something very disturbing...

I think I'd say I'd witnessed some unprofessional conduct on his part and ask for a different assistant. I haven't had that experience but I did request no students or residents, and that felt awkward. I don't see any way around speaking up. One thought, some surgeons video the whole surgery. Partly for defense later, I'm told. Perhaps you could request that? The offensive Dr surely would behave if recorded? It's a thought. Shame on that surgeon. Good luck, let us know how the pre op goes.
Unread 11-17-2011, 11:06 PM

I would totally NOT want that surgeon any where near me!! How unprofessional is he?? Sounds like a real jerk and you have every right and reason to request him NOT be in on your surgery. I also like the idea of having your surgery on video. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Based on your experience when you were in labor, I think it's perfectly within your rights to request he not be part of the surgical team.

All you need to say is that you had a bad feeling about him when he had contact with you before and that you wouldn't be comfortable with him in the OR. It is very important to be able to trust your surgeon and the OR team, and that includes being able to "uninvite" someone, so to speak.

I hope all goes well for you.
Unread 11-18-2011, 01:41 AM

Yes, you can ask that he not be there. And stand firm!
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Definitely tell them. Just say I don't want him there. Plain and simple. If necessary, say you are uncomfortable with him and you don't want him in the room. They can find someone else to be there. I have had to ask for certain docs not to be on my case also. Stand firm and say no way
I have done that and I really was hesitant at first. I had this happen for another surgery where I said I didn't want a certain doc in on the surgery and day of surgery, he comes over to me prior and says he will be there. My mom went to the nurse and said, "Either he isn't in, or she won" be there. I guess the docs can just look at each other and have fun." Of course, I was panicking totally so the nurse called her director who went to the doctor and told him that the other one wasn't allowed to be there.The anesthesiologist and the OR nurse helped by assuring me they wouldn;t be allowing him in either. It worked out perfectly for me. Good luck.
Unread 11-18-2011, 06:56 AM

You have every right to request he does not assist in your surgery without explaination. Just simply tell whomever that you do not want said Dr. to be the assisting Dr. The sooner you do this the better it will be for you and it will also allow your surgeon to make arrangements to have someone else assist him. Good luck.
Tracy
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:50 AM

I appreciate everyone's input! I have preop at 10:50 today... I just have to work up the nerve to lay it out, plain and simple, that I don't want him in there. I will post and let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.
Unread 11-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Speak up and don't be intimidated by doctors. They are not untouchable. He sounds like a total idiot! I met one like him before and cancelled my surgery.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM

My surgeon was one of the best parts of my surgery. I had told him about a previous surgery I had where they just slapped a mask on me instead of telling me they were knocking me out and I was startled when I came too so he had me talk to the anesthesiologist and in the operating room he stood and held my hand till I was out and his caring made such a difference. I was kind of a jerk when I came to about the catheter but I think he is probably used to that. But his kindness made such a difference, I wouldn't have a surgery with a doc I wasn't comfortable with Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register