Scheduled dVH/RALH Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime? Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime?

Unread 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime?

I am 51 yrs old and in pre-menopause. I been able to handle symptoms very well without drugs so far. But I have a robotic-hyst scheduled for next Tuesday. I am having very heavy bleeding after sex - have removed couple benign plyops but no fibroids or cancer/disease were noticable with ultrasound. There is another plyop in uterus near major artery now causing major bleeding. I like the idea of removing uterus/cervix to eliminate uterine and cervical cancer worries. I decided to keep my ovaries so it is not an INSTANT menopause. I can normally handle pain very well and just do not like to take drugs on a normal basis. My concern: I don't like the idea of "becoming mentally unstable" and needing to take drugs/hormones for extended period of time to "be myself"! If I keep ovaries, will I need to be on hormone therapy for years or for a lifetime! Surgery is Tuesday and I am now at the point of "freaking out"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Re: Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime?

Hi Unfortunately, none of us have a crystal ball, so we don't have any way to know. If you keep your ovaries, they may continue to work exactly the same as they are now, and you might go through your 'regular' natural menopause either when you would have without the surgery or perhaps a little earlier (average is about 3 years earlier).

However, they also might not continue to work the same way. Depending on how much of your ovaries' blood supply comes from the uterine artery, which varies from woman to woman, your ovaries could shut down, either temporarily (until they can establish a new blood supply) or permanently, as in sudden menopause. In that case, whether or not you'll need HRT depends on how severe your symptoms are, and there's no way to know that until it happens. For me, they are so severe I cannot go without HRT - I'd have to be confined to a long-term care facility if I did because I could not care for myself.

For me, it helps to not regard HRTs as "drugs" but as replacements for what my body was making on its own before, just the way diabetics need to use insulin to replace what their bodies aren't making for them. I use bioidentical patches, and it is really not a big deal to change a patch twice a week, especially knowing what would happen if I didn't. I plan to stay on my HRTs for life unless/until someone can prove they are doing more harm than good, which is unlikely imho.

Good luck with your surgery! I hope your ovaries continue to provide you with free estrogen for years to come.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Re: Keeping ovaries - will I need to take hormones for lifetime?

Like surferbabe said, there are no guarantees when we go into this surgery. My ovaries are definitely still working and I've had no menopausal symptoms since my surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register