TVH on the 23rd and pretty scared. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH on the 23rd and pretty scared. TVH on the 23rd and pretty scared.

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Re: TVH on the 23rd and pretty scared.

Hi Jen (Jenstrad),

What a small world. I have lived in Cayman for 14 years now and still love it. I see we have a lot in common, besides being hyster sisters! I am also from PA and my name is Jen ! Too funny

I really appreciate your feedback and happy to hear that your recovery has went well and you are feeling great!

My emotions have been crazy. I am nervous one moment, and the next I just want to get it over with so I can start my recovery! I live on the NS of the Island and my kids go to school in GT so my husband is really going to be doing a lot of driving back and forth. My doctor has made it sound as though it would be a couple of weeks before I can do the hour drive. We are hoping that some of our friends will help out, but everyone's schedules are so chaotic.

Do you find you are getting exhausted quickly? I am traveling back to PA for XMAS and hoping I will be feeling good by then.

Thank you again for reaching out!

Hugs, Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Re: TVH on the 23rd and pretty scared. Anyone else on this day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Remember that you are not a burden to your friends. That is what they are there for. Allow their help. It makes THEM feel good to help YOU! Accept their help with gratitude and a giant smile. Best wishes on Wednesday!
Good advice! My daughter of 15 is taking foods class at school an was excited to be the chef in our house for a while. We planned out 2 weeks worth of meals, including some frozen entrees for days when she has a busy after school schedule, then went shopping. Friends also brought over some food and - best of all - chocolate!

Everything is working out well. I'm not in nearly as much pain as I expected to be in - in fact almost none, but I do tire easily. I have been able to assist the chef and help myself in the kitchen some when home alone - which is more often than had been anticipated. Since I'm doing so great the DH got me settled on the sofa with books, beverages and snacks, then took some time for himself yesterday with a friend. The daughter also deserted me for an overnight with a friend - leaving me in sole control of the remote control for a few short hours. Great Day!

I know the unknown is scary. I advise you to take as much help as is offered and take the time you need to heal without stress.

Take care and best of luck to you all. See you on the other side.
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Thank you all for your replies. This site has really been wonderful for me and I look forward to updating you all when I am in the post op room on Thursday.
I actually celebrated Thanksgiving this evening with my husband and kids.

Tomorrow is blood work and then finishing up all of the odds and ends. Trying to squeeze in my pedi too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2011, 07:01 AM

My hospital said paint on the toes okay, just not the fingers. I think they secretly look at the nail bed to watch for blue fingers

Waiting is the absolute worst part. I just quit thinking about it ... Denial works sometimes...

Ps Im two + weeks out and you'd never guess I had major surgery after day 6! Good luck!
Unread 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Hey Jen! Wow - we do have a lot in common!! My family moved to Cayman in 1989 when I was 15 and I left Cayman in 1995 - just missed you by a couple of years!

I think you will be fine for travel over Christmas - I went to work for a couple of hours today and it did wipe me out. But I'm only two weeks out...I still listen to my body and rest when I need it. I think that's the most important thing. You will be about a month out by Xmas, and as long as you can have rest periods over your holiday, I think you will be fine. I'm sure you will want to go shopping (of course!!!) - just try to take lots of breaks.

I'm thinking it might be a couple of weeks before you are up to the drive to George Town - that's a long drive from North Side. Probably at least 10 days. The driving isn't so bad, but sometimes bumps in the roads are kind of bothersome. Hopefully the roads have improved from NS since I left!!!

I look forward to hearing about your recovery! Good luck! I will be thinking of you!!!

-Jen
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi I have my TVH on thee 22nd. My kids are 3 & 4. I have help for the first couple of days but I'm really scared about next week! Let's keep in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayva View Post
Starting to get really nervous for this Wednesday... I am doing my best to get organized prior to make sure my hubby doesn't have too hard of a time with managing his work and our 2 kids (2 and 4). I am really hoping my recovery will be fast so I can start to drive them to school in a couple of weeks to help take some pressure off of my husband. We live in the Cayman Islands and do not have any family here to help. It is just us. I am not great at asking friends for help, I am the type of person that like to help others but feel like I am inconveniencing everyone else. I really feel that I am going to need extra help though so my husband doesn't get too stressed out.

I would like to hear what you are doing to get prepared and to see if you are just as nervous as me? I do plan to treat myself to a pedicure beforehand, since I will be staring at my feet for a while!
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:06 PM

I am 9+ years post-op (for this one.) I did a lot of the same things these ladies did - made sure the fridge and freezer were stocked with easy to prepare foods, cleaned the house, gassed up the car. I also got books and DVDs and magazines together, although I wasn't able to read for quite a while. I pulled out my favorite pillows and cases, as well as relaxing pillow spray. Make sure your hubby does have a list of people to text or call, and that they have his number in case they don't hear from him and they want to check on you. You don't want them calling your number and bugging you until you're ready to talk. Make sure all the rx's are filled, like these ladies said, as well as stool softeners, or other OTC items you might need. Set up a system with your husband so you can actually get some rest, maybe a bell to ring or you can text him from the bedroom when you need or want something. After one of my recent surgeries, we hired a dog walker so my husband didn't have to worry about getting the dog out for a long walk during the day, it was one fewer thing for him to worry about, especially when I was home alone. And make sure things are where you can reach them, not too high up or too low down on shelves or in closets, you don't want to have to bend or stretch in the beginning. I have always made a playlist with soothing music on it and take that into pre-op with me. The time I'm in there alone, I have something to listen to and not just lay there and panic while waiting. Maybe even get a journal so you can "talk" about how you're feeling even if you don't feel like/have anyone right there to talk to. Good luck - deep breaths - listen to your body and let it heal! Oh, and I think I actually lost weight, even though I was sitting on my butt for about 8 weeks. Something about the hormones, maybe?
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:26 PM

EllaAngel,

I hear you loud and clear and I will look forward to having recovery chats with you! Good luck

Portia, thank you for your advice. I hope I take after you with the weight loss too!

Now I am just focusing on beating this cold before wednesday
Unread 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM

Hi! Had my hysterectomy back in early August, late on a Friday. It turned into the hyst plus a sacrocolpopexy plus a few other procedures - had more going on in there than both me and my MDs knew about or realized. The thing that helped me the most in preparation, besides all of the other GREAT suggestions for planning here, was to visualize what would happen post-surgery and what I would do and work towards, day by day. What will the experience be like in the hospital? How will you work towards being able to go home? And once you're home, what will you do? I know a lot of this is predicated on how well you are doing, but visualizing where you want to be, and when, and what you want to be doing, is one way to carry you through this.

For instance, my goals were something like (starting post-surgery):

Day 1: walk, shake off the anesthesia, start solid food, go home, rest
Day 2: rest, walk a bit, watch TV, read, sleep
Day 3: Day 2 plus work a bit on the computer - sit up in the chair
Day 4: do 3-4 hours at home on the computer (job) through the day, rest, sleep
Day 5: continue to build from there

I stayed away from the office for a week then went back full time (my job is mentally but not physically stressful). Also started driving 2 days after surgery (Sunday, with a short trip to the grocery, with NO pain meds on board). I had my surgery via DaVinci, so I didn't have to deal with a large incision, and my doctor was supportive of me doing whatever I felt up to doing. I also kept my ovaries, so I didn't have to deal with hormonal issues. This is all in the vein of 'your mileage may vary' - I came roaring back from this surgery at light speed, and please do know that EVERYONE's rate is DIFFERENT because we all have different procedures and different ways of healing.

I did not have the 'melt down' I'd had 6 days post-surgery with an earlier procedure (a shoulder replacement) and I believe it's because I was a lot gentler on myself wrt expectations. If I didn't feel like doing something, I didn't - the body knows!

Did you ever have children? I remember doing the same thing during the birth. The contractions hurt like... well, they hurt a LOT and as I'm breathing, feeling my blood pressure drop as I'm going into transition, I remember thinking that in a little while, I would be past this and walking around the halls with a new healthy baby asleep somewhere on the floor. It would all be just fine. This really helped me.

Good thoughts and prayers to you and all of the 'sistahs' heading down this road - you will feel so much better on the other side!
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:07 PM

I was extremely nervous before my surgery because I have PTSD from childhood abuse from my mom and an abusive marriage. The thought of me not having control of what would happen to my body petrified me. It got so bad that 4 days before my surgery I had to have the Dr. give me anxiety meds.

My surgery was on October 25th. Everything was fine. My Dr. found a ton of Endometriosis and was surprised I was able to wait as long as I did. The day of surgery once I was awake, I already felt better even when the pain medicine drip started to wear off. It was a total different pain. To me it just felt like I had a hard abdominal workout.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register