Can DH fill my RX for painkillers? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can DH fill my RX for painkillers? Can DH fill my RX for painkillers?

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Can DH fill my RX for painkillers?

I assume when I leave the hospital I will be given RX for painkillers. Will the drugstore give them to someone other than the patient? I certainly won't be able to go out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Re: Can DH fill my RX for painkillers?

My husband has never had a problem picking up pain medication for me. I imagine it might be different for each pharmacy though. We've always gone to Walgreen's. Does your pharmacy have a drive-thru? If so, you could pick them up on your way home from the hospital, and give the pharmacist a little wave while your husband takes care of it.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM

I live in the middle of New York City and will be taking a taxi home. I can't go to the pharmacy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:34 PM

My husband has picked them up without me in the car several times without a problem. One time my brother picked up pain meds for my mother, and they just called her to confirm that she knew about it before they gave him the prescription. Hopefully they can accommodate you.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM

My procedure is Tuesday, I did preop yesterday, and my surgeon gave me a scrip for my pain meds then. I just picked them up at the pharmacy and they will be waiting for me at home. If you have time, you should ask your doctor to give you the scrip now. They can't call in or fax narcs though so you will have to bring a paper scrip to the pharm.
Unread 11-19-2011, 03:49 PM

In our state, you have to show your drivers license to pick up a narcotic medication, but I pick up Rx pain meds for my husband all the time.
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Some rx.s will and some wont! I had to go myself for tylenol w codine at 3 days post op i was beyond mad over that the ride alone about killed me
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:16 PM

I was hooked to a morphine drip while in hospital. I used it twice the first day (more as preventative than anything). Otherwise I was given Tylenol and Advil for pain. And that was all I needed after my surgery just 5 days ago.

Good luck with your surgery. So far, mine has been uneventful
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:35 PM

It should not be a problem for your dh to pick up your meds for you. I have never had a problem. Discuss with your doctor and pharmacy before.
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Does the hospital where you are having your surgery have a Discharge Pharmacy, or an Outpatient Pharmacy on the premises? If they do, they may be able to send you home with the medication rather than just a prescription for it.

If you need to fill a prescription for pain meds at a pharmacy outside the hospital where you're having your surgery, legally it is up to the pharmacist's discretion whether or not someone else can pick up your prescription for a controlled substance. Most times they will allow it if your DH can tell them your birth date (which he'd better remember anyway or he's in trouble! ) and address (which is presumably the same as his).

By the way, legally, a doctor CAN phone a prescription for up to 5 days' worth of Schedule II, III or V pain meds to a pharmacy as long as they follow that up by mailing in a hard copy within 72 hours, though not all doctors are willing to do that since it's more work for them. But it is something to consider asking about if you want to get the meds ahead of time and don't want to drive to your doctor's office to pick up the prescription.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register