Scheduled dVH/RALH Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci? Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci?

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:02 PM
Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci?

Hello,
I'm 30 years old and scheduled for a da Vinci hysterectomy on January 10th. (Keeping my ovaries.) I've had issues with very long painful periods, frequent spotting and migraines for about 5 years now. The results of a recent saline infused trans-vaginal ultrasound show that I probably have adenomyosis.

My biggest concern is the loss of sexual function after a hysterectomy. I've read so many horror stories online, and it freaked me out. I'm scared to death of losing intimacy with my husband.

I was wondering if the outlook in this particular area was better for patients with less invasive surgeries? Maybe there's less risk of damage to nerves? I already went to the da Vinci stories and read through them. They were helpful, but most of them were posted either days or weeks after the procedure. I was hoping to find a few stories from people six months to a year (or more) out. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Re: Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci?

I'm very curious to hear, too. My Da Vinci is in 4 days (eep!), I'm 31, and hoping that aspect of my life changes for the better. Very anxious about that... Hope someone has some input for us...
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Yes, me too. I'm also wondering if age at the time of the hysterectomy is a factor. Hopefully we'll get a response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2011, 04:17 PM

I think that you should ask your doctor directly if your ovaries are coming out or not. If he/she takes them out, can you have HRT?
Ask this BEFORE your hysterectomy.

Of course, a hysterectomy is better than cancer any day.

On the other hand, it effects us all differently after the hysterectomy.

My orgasms are not the same. They are really different. I do not climax as quickly as I used to. It takes me longer to achieve an orgasm.

I had granulation (an area that did not heal well) at my vaginal cuff.

It caused pain and bleeding during and after intercourse.

Not everyone has this, so you probably won't.

Right after my hysterectomy and oophorectomy, I went through "instant menopause."
No libido.

It took a few months, but my libido returned. The doctor said that I was getting testosterone from other muscles. Maybe my exercise routine.

My libido went crazy, to my DH's delight.

I also have lost 35 or so pounds. That only helped me in the health and sexuality department.

This is just my story, so keep in mind everyone is different.

Good Luck and remember to "pamper the princess." YOU.
Unread 11-19-2011, 04:23 PM

Thank you for sharing your story! The doctor has told me already that I am keeping my ovaries. They are both healthy and not affected by whatever funky stuff is going on inside my uterus. I'm glad to hear that things have worked out for you in the long run.
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM

I hope your surgery went well today, kbid!
Unread 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM

This is an interesting subject... People's body's are so different, even though we're all the same species. :P After a hysterectomy, I would say its best to incorporate your clitoris more for stimulation to reach climax during sex. Also, don't think about the hysterectomy, possible sexual dysfunctions, the other what-if's, as those will make you nervous and make the sex just as bad. I think it's kind of mind over matter at first, because you don't know what to expect (just like the surgery itself.) I'm 5 1/2 months out. I'm not back 100% in bed, but I just take a different approach to make it 100% as good. The first 5-8 minutes are what can be painful for me. I've started using a personal lubricant and choosing a female dominant position to begin, both to control speed and you could use as tease. Just by adding that to the routine, it has made the sexual transition easier.
Unread 11-22-2011, 05:53 PM

I had a TVH 4 1/2 months ago, kept ovaries. I notice no difference in my natural lubrication, sex feels a little different for me with the cervix gone, DH says he notices no difference in how it feels for him. The orgasm is definitely different. I no longer have the strong uterine contractions and I miss that. Sometimes the orgasm is very short and weak and I wonder "did I have one?". That being said, I can still have them and they're not difficult to archive. Libido should stay the same if you keep your ovaries. Me & DH aren't back to normal in bed yet as I still have pain and that slows me down significantly. I think the key is to not stress, be patient and don't rush it.
Unread 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Sexual function (long term) after da Vinci?

My da Vinci is December 16. Since I am 51 and nearing menopause the ovaries aren't helping me much. Anyone 50-ish care to respond about sex after daVinci?
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandspice View Post
I had a TVH 4 1/2 months ago, kept ovaries. I notice no difference in my natural lubrication, sex feels a little different for me with the cervix gone, DH says he notices no difference in how it feels for him. The orgasm is definitely different. I no longer have the strong uterine contractions and I miss that. Sometimes the orgasm is very short and weak and I wonder "did I have one?". That being said, I can still have them and they're not difficult to archive. Libido should stay the same if you keep your ovaries. Me & DH aren't back to normal in bed yet as I still have pain and that slows me down significantly. I think the key is to not stress, be patient and don't rush it.
I had my hysto in February.
We are just now "getting back to normal," whatever that is.
I think the two granulation problems that I have had are healed, so no more bleeding or pain during or after intercourse.

My libido (without HRT or ovaries) is better than it ever was since we got married. We are 55, so there aren't any kids at home to "change the mood."
My orgasms are not as good, I can only say that they are a little different.
I think as we age, all of this changes a bit, hysterectomy or not. Menopause sets in.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register