Scheduled TAH Please Help! Am now confused! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please Help! Am now confused! Please Help! Am now confused!

Unread 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Please Help! Am now confused!

Hi! I am new here and am scheduled for a TAH on December the 12th due to many large fibroids that are blocking my ovaries(do not know if they need to come out yet).
I was bleeding heavy for the past 3 months, but now the bleeding has stopped and am getting symptoms of a period but then nothing is there. Just a yellow and then a light brown discharge. I am now 6 weeks late. Just confused now
Not sure if I went into menopause all of a sudden or should I still go ahead with the operation?(I am 50 btw). The doctor that called and scheduled it told me that she don't think I would just go right into menopause all at once. Am confused now....My mother in Law seems to think that I just stopped all at once. Is it possible to just go right into menopause without 1st skipping months??? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Re: Please Help! Am now confused!

Wish someone would help! Just want to know if anyone has ever heard of anyone just going right into menopause after bleeding heavy for a few months? Please....anyone???
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM

If you are confused, you are always free to get a second opinion from another doctor. Your doctor will not/should not be 'put out' by that.

It is always better to be sure than always have that nagging feeling of 'did I make a mistake?"

As for your question, I'm not sure, which is why I suggest getting a second (or even a third) opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM

Thanks for your response and am going to get another opinion if I do not get my period by the 11th of December. Will then just cancel the surgery and have more tests done. This is so confusing lol.
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:56 PM

I'm 43 and after having a very heavy period continuously for 9 months, I just stopped and didn't have one for 4 months. Then it started again. I originally started having periods very early (at age 9) so the dr thought it might be early onset. But then I started again, with a vengence.

I am now more than 3 months post op and am thrilled that I chose to have my TAH. Other than a few swelling and constipation issues, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Other than getting a little more tired more easily, I am back to normal.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Periods are weird - which is why most of us are here.

One woman had a fibroid block her cervix and prevent her flow from leaving her uterus. I'm sure there are a number of reasons for the strangeness you are experiencing.

Get a second opinion for sure, but I would go with a doctor's experience and expertise over my mother-in-law's guesswork - and my mother-in-law (whom I love dearly) is a medical transcriptionist.

Fibroids are tricksters and depending on how many you have and how large they are, menopause may not reduce their size or take care of any other issues that caused your doctor to recommend, and you to seek, hysterectomy.

I assume you didn't enter into this decision lightly, so don't make the mistake of reversing it lightly, either. Take the time to get all the information you can then follow the best plan for you to protect your health.
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM

I have a friend who would stop for months only to start again. I think it happens, but do get a second opinion for your peace of mind. Good luck.
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM

bee7778 -

I would say that getting a 2nd opinion. Who's to say that your fibroids aren't causing more issues with your ovaries and that has caused the change in discharge?

If you haven't discussed with your current dr. You may want to do that as well.

Unread 11-21-2011, 04:13 AM

Thank you so much for all your replies. I greatly appreciate all the support.
I suppose I am just confused due to what my mother in law keeps telling me and how she is fearful of operations etc...
I will be meeting up with the doctor that is going to perform the operation soon and will talk it all over with her. This is one of the best hospitals around and the doctors are great!
Just lucky that they also have financial aid, since I have no insurance at this time and need all the help I can get.
I had other options as well but, chose hysterectomy since I did not want anymore periods ever again.
In fact...I was looking forward to it all until my period started playing tricks on me. I still get that yellow or brownish discharge, some pelvic pain and lower back pain, just that the period is hiding right now.
Just hope it does not decide to do what it did the other month. Kept poring out for the 1st 2 days and sent me to the ER. Will keep everyone updated on my decision and health. You all seem so nice and look forward to speaking with you all again.
Unread 11-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Have decided to go ahead with surgery on December the 12th. Period just started back up and am in pain Still waiting for the doctor to call me back... Just a little scared though. Hope I don't have any complications. I had a C section before with my 1st child and was just fine after. I heard that this is not as easy as a C section.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register