Not Scheduled di vinci pre op question....very scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

di vinci pre op question....very scared di vinci pre op question....very scared

Unread 11-22-2011, 03:44 PM
di vinci pre op question....very scared

Hi, I am going to have the DeVinci hysterectomy in January...date will be scheduled this week. This is going to sound so odd, but here it goes...
1. Do you have to do a bowel cleanse pre-op
2. I am not afraid of the surgery itself...but of the IV's..I have a HUGE fear of needles..I have pulled away from a nurse giving me an IV and scratched my hand (nurses are not happy with you after that). I now tell the nurses to get someone in the room to hold my arm/hand down, and i tell them I am scared. Is there anything they can give me so the IV does not hurt when inserted (i am totally ok after it is in).
3. Do you get an epidural for the DiVinci Hysterectomy? or just an IV?
4. last question...how long did you stay off work...my work is requiring a dr release back

Thanks for all of your help. I will continue cruzing this site =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Re: di vinci pre op question....very scared

Hi At your pre op visit, I would ask to speak with the anesthesiologist before the surgery. At the hospital I use that means they call you at home the night before, which works fine. Tell the anesthesiologist you are terrified of IVs and don't want to hurt yourself accidentally while they're inserting yours and could he/she please have them give you something beforehand if possible? They may be able to do that. Best to ask ahead of time, though, rather than waiting until it's happening and you are completely stressed out.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Hi...i had my hysterectomy on Oct. 10. I am six weeks post op and have been back to work for almost 2 days! I say almost because I couldn't stay all day. I did have to do a bowl prep and I had general anesthesia. Maybe they can give you a pill to relax you but I am not sure. I had cancer and it had spread a little so the Dr. took some lymph nodes as well. I think that is why it is taking me a longer time to recuperate. I had FMLA and my Dr. gave me 8 weeks so I had to be released to go back 2 weeks early. I go back for an 8 week post op in a few weeks. This site has helped me tremendously! Good luck on your surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2011, 04:25 PM

I haven't had my hysterectomy yet (it's tomorrow) but my preop appt was yesterday. I can answer #1 - as it relates to MY case... I don't have any bowel prep at home...but when I get to the hospital, I get to do an enema. A wee bit creeped by that, but oh well! At least it will be over soon!
Unread 11-22-2011, 04:26 PM

I think the bowel cleanse is up to the Dr. I did not have to have one. I had the DvH on Oct. 4. As far as the needles go, I had a friend who asked them to put the IV in after they put her under and that worked well for her, so I would talk to the nurses or your Dr. before hand, I am sure they will work with you. I was off from work for three weeks, but my job and boss are wonderful and let me work whatever I was comfortable with. The first day back I only worked two hours. If I wouldn't have been able to do that, I probably wouldn't have come back to work until week 5or 6.
Good Luck!
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:18 PM

I also believe every doctor is different. I didn't have a bowel prep. Just the "dont eat or drink anything after midnight". As far as the IV -yes I am terrified of needles because I have tiny veins they can never find. I was told I had to have two IV's because of the way they lay you during the da Vinci surgery. They did put my other one in after I was out. The first one they used lidocaine to numb the area and I never felt that IV. I will be praying for you.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:28 PM

I am having da Vinci surger next week - the nurse handed me the paperwork on the bowel prep, the doctor said, "No no no...you don't have to do that...take some laxatives and milk of magnesia, do a soft diet for two days, and you're good." BUT! every doctor is different. You need to ask YOUR doctor what he or she requires.
I have had 6 weeks to prepare - I spent a lot of that time doing my homework, researching everything about the surgery, the methods, etc, etc, etc. That's what helps me find my comfort level. I can roll with the punches from here.
No one likes needles, but they are an unavoidable evil. If you are terribly phobic, you might ask the doc about something to ease your anxiety. My doc offered me some valium or a sleep aid to manage my stress, but I didn't take him up on it. I may regret that later, but I have his phone number if that changes.
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM

My surgery isnt till January. Im definately writing a list of questions to ask my dr. My biggest fear and I mean fear is the Iv. I will definately ask my dr if he can help me with this.....i hope he can
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:48 PM

My experience is no bowel prep, he says it is a dr.s preference and he only does it if he thinks there is something near the intestines. I hate needles as well and as the other post said, they numbed the area before putting in the catheter and the other one was put in while I was out. I am one week post op tomorrow and feeling great! Only took pain meds for two days, then only ibuprofen. Best of luck
Unread 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement...it truly means alot and helps me

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register