Not Scheduled di vinci pre op question....very scared - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

di vinci pre op question....very scared di vinci pre op question....very scared

Unread 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM
di vinci pre op question....very scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1873 View Post
Hi, I am going to have the DeVinci hysterectomy in January...date will be scheduled this week. This is going to sound so odd, but here it goes...
1. Do you have to do a bowel cleanse pre-op
2. I am not afraid of the surgery itself...but of the IV's..I have a HUGE fear of needles..I have pulled away from a nurse giving me an IV and scratched my hand (nurses are not happy with you after that). I now tell the nurses to get someone in the room to hold my arm/hand down, and i tell them I am scared. Is there anything they can give me so the IV does not hurt when inserted (i am totally ok after it is in).
3. Do you get an epidural for the DiVinci Hysterectomy? or just an IV?
4. last question...how long did you stay off work...my work is requiring a dr release back

Thanks for all of your help. I will continue cruzing this site =)
Good luck! I too fear needles & that was the worst part of the procedure for me (I also had do Vinchi). My dr did bowel prep for 2 reasons. First it kept the entire bowel system out of the way during surgery. Secondly she feels the first bowel mmt is easier with less intake. I am really glad I did the bowel prep before surgery. I am planning on returning to work in 2 weeks. Surgery was Monday & I feel really good today.

Really hoping your doctor can help with the IV anxiety. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Re: di vinci pre op question....very scared

yikes, i never though of the first mmt after the surgery...I guess that would make the clense worth it....I really dont have a problem doing the clense. i do however a nervous about the iv...hard to believe i have to kids =) Do they give you an epidural?
Unread 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM

I have my surgery set for January 5th. I've already had a hysterectomy, now I'm having surgery for cysts and endo. My dr. is having me do only liquids and jello day before surgery and a fleet enema b/f bedtime. The nurse says that this will allow the bottom of my intestines to be cleaned out so I won't have anything in there after surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM

My daVinci hysterectomy is Dec. 14. I do have to do a "bowel prep". Day before surgery: 2 Dulcolax tablets in the morning, Miralax (255 g) mixed with 64 oz. of clear liquid at night. Drink 1 8 oz. glass of mixture every 15 min. until finished. This should take about 2 hrs. ~ Wow...I will do this on Tuesday.
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:40 PM

The fear of the unknown is the worst part, for sure! I had my da Vinci done on Nov 22nd. I didnt have to do any bowel prep at all, according to my doctor, but chose to eat easy to digest soft foods and start my stool softener a few days before. I dont mind IVs so that wasnt an issue for me. Try not watching, going to your happy place, concentrate on your breathing and ask for the most confident/experienced person if they have to do it. I had two IVs - one in each hand- was given some medicine to relax me and some antibiotics before they wheeled me into the OR. I remember looking around the room and seeing some of the equipment and nurses, sliding over to the OR table, having a mask put over my nose and mouth and the nurse telling me 'good thoughts'. Not too stressful at all. I didnt have an epidural. I had to go back to work a couple of times for a few hours each at two weeks and it did me in! My doctor gave me 4 weeks on my FMLA paperwork, but I work part time and plan on going back at 3 weeks. Take as long as you can. It seems like the recovery for me has been a few steps forward and a couple steps back. Good luck to you! Try to do some positive self-talk. You will do just fine.
Unread 12-11-2011, 03:59 PM

I had Davinci 8 weeks ago....

Yes I had bowel prep. A full 24 hours before hand.
No on the epidural
As for the IV ask them to give you a happy relaxer before hand. or something to make you sleepy then do the IV...

Good Luck and

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register