ovaries or no ovaries! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries or no ovaries! ovaries or no ovaries!

Unread 11-23-2011, 01:07 AM
ovaries or no ovaries!

Hi I just joined and I have to admit I am so overwhelmed! I am not really nervous...my date is...Dec. 6. But when I went to my primary for clearance for surgery she thought I was getting a total hysterectomy (My ob doctor said it was a partial, meaning uterus and cervix). My primary was happy to hear that and recommended that to get it over with because I don't need it. So I called my ob and he said it is up to me of course, but my ovaries are fine, one have a few very small cysts and the other a bit atrophied. I do not have any family history of ovarian cancer. His concern is the surgical menopause.
I have pretty much decided to leave the ovaries, but I keep second guessing myself. Is this normal to be so uncertain one minute and sure the next about all of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Re: ovaries or no ovaries!

Just to clarify, a partial hysterectomy is removal of just the body of the uterus, leaving the cervix in place. It has nothing to do with the ovaries either way. A total hysterectomy is removal of the entire uterus, including the cervix. Again, no mention of the ovaries. Removal of the ovaries and tubes is a separate procedure called a bilateral (if it's both sides) salpingo-oophorectomy.

That said, whether or not you keep your ovaries is a very individual decision. We generally recommend keeping them if they are healthy and if you do not have a family history of ovarian cancer. Look at the risks of removing them versus how you feel if you keep them and decide which is best for you. Keep in mind, though, that for some women, removal of the uterus causes the ovaries to stop functioning, either temporarily or permanently, so it's best to have talked with your DR about what your options would be if that happens to you and you find the symptoms intolerable.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Keep your ovaries...worst decision of my life to have a hyster and them removed...instant menopause has been a nightmare for past 5 years for me and I still cant get my hormones straight. I cant tolerate much of any form of HRT either, natural or not. Just my opinion though.

Gursie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I made the decision to have the doc take the ovaries because first, they'd given me problems my whole life - cysts, pain, problems - and second because I just had that feeling that if we didn't take them now, we'd regret it later. No cancer history in my family. He tried twice to talk me out of it, because I'm 41 and surgical menopause can be brutal, but left the decision to me.

So far, my menopause symptoms are - really nothing. I'm taking some natural stuff, no HRT.. But I realize I'm far from typical.

IF my ovaries had been "normal" - or at least not causing major problems - I almost certainly would have elected to keep them.

And yes - it's normal to feel like there's a game of ping-pong going on in your head and heart over all of this! It's a BIG (and very permanent) decision - take your time, get some feedback, even a second opinion, but in the end do what's right for you!
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM

My Dr. suggested and I agree with him to keep my ovaries as long as they look healthy when he does the LSH on 12/1. I have no history of ovarian cancer in my family and I really don't want to go into instant menopause at the age of 42. As long as you don't have any major issues with them, I would keep them. My opinion of course, hope this helps. Good luck with your decision and please keep me posted. Hugs.
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks everyone! I love feeling like I am not alone. I now know that I am having a full hysterectomy if he is taking the cervix as well. Thanks for clarifying that. Glad I don't have to take a test...LOL! It gives me strength to take charge of my body. We live in a time when we are expected to. Unlike the women before us. I trust my doctor but there was a time we didn't get second opinions, we didn't want to second guess our doctor. These replies really are helping me. Thanks again!!!
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:58 PM

I was fine after my total hyster too until about 8 months later. Seemed overnight I lost all my hormones. I have 4 other friends and family members and the same thing happened to them. We all had our hyster's around the same time as well. They too are going nuts and all their symptoms started around 9 months AFTER their hyster's. I felt great right after mine as well. I look like Im 80 years old (not kidding) have no hair, sagging face/skin, anxiety, horrible stomach issues, daily migraines, and tons of other symptoms... and i didnt have any of these before. If I could only do it over again.

Gursie
Unread 11-23-2011, 01:02 PM

I am in almost the same boat. My LSH is 12/21 and the doc has left the decision on whether to keep the ovaries to me. She recommends keeping them, but I do have a history of cysts on one ovary and have had two previous surgeries to remove them. The doc is concerned about surgical menopause and so am I. I am leaning towards keeping one and having the other remove that has had the cysts. It is such a difficult decision and I have heard o many differing opinions.
Good luck with your decision and your surgery.
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM

I am 48 years old. I had everything removed in October (uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries). My doctor left it up to me, and I chose to take my ovaries out. After he got in there, he said that they were both in pretty bad shape anyway, so it was a good decision.

I am 5 weeks post op today. So far, I really haven't had too many symptoms. I do deal with night sweats at night, but I was already dealing with them before the surgery, so to me it's not a big deal.

I can't take HRT because I am Factor V Leiden (blood clotting disorder), so I am making sure that I am taking a good multi-vitamin, Calcium with Vitamin D, and I've also started taking some Fish Oil.

I am excited to add exercise back in after my 8 week check-up.

Anyway, from my experience, not having my ovaries has not been a horrible thing. I feel SO much better than I did before the surgery! I had endometriosis and large fibroids and was in a great deal of pain. The pain is gone and I'm so glad I had this surgery!

Beth
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Beth, so glad you had a good outcome..but again, you are early in recovery still and your hormones are still prob available in storage I hope you always feel this good though. My doctor warned me that it will take up to 1 year for your hormones to shift, etc. and sure enough, Mine was 8 months...a friend of mine was around 9 months too. I know Im not the only person either. I have read several postings where everyone felt great right after surgery, then the bottom dropped out months later. Not trying to be a debbie downer..just want you to be prepared.

Im sure having that fibroid removed was a big relief. It really depends what the docs find when they do the surgery. If something doesnt look good, just instruct the doc to remove the ovaries if really necessary (before surgery)

Gursie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register