ovaries or no ovaries! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries or no ovaries! ovaries or no ovaries!

Unread 11-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Re: ovaries or no ovaries!

I choose to keep my overies because they looked fine & going into surgical menopause is very hard on the body. It is better to allow your body to do it naturally. I had a TAH and had my tubes removed, only leaving the overies behind.

You need to make the choice for yourself, depending on your family history, what sort of shape the overies are in & just your own personal feelings on it.

I wish you all the best in the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Gursie - I have a friend who went through natural menopause several years ago - she has never really experienced menopausal symptoms at all! I have another friend who had a hysterectomy and ovaries removed and experienced menopause right out of the surgery room! There are so many different factors that make us all so different -- it's probably not a good idea to compare to others.

I'm content to take the one-day-at-a-time approach and hope for the best! I do appreciate this list, though, and the support offered through the many people who have gone before me.

Thanks! And, Happy Thanksgiving!

Beth
Unread 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM

Natural menopause and surgical menopause are two different things completely...Im just giving my views, what happend to me and 4 other women who im very close with..all surgical menopause. You can also search the forums and find Im not the only person this has happend to. Good to research all options beforehand and make your own choice.
Im aware of the different factors, and how this outcome will prob be different for each of us...The one-day-at-a time approach is great. I totally agree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherlady9901 View Post
I am in almost the same boat. My LSH is 12/21 and the doc has left the decision on whether to keep the ovaries to me. She recommends keeping them, but I do have a history of cysts on one ovary and have had two previous surgeries to remove them. The doc is concerned about surgical menopause and so am I. I am leaning towards keeping one and having the other remove that has had the cysts. It is such a difficult decision and I have heard o many differing opinions.
Good luck with your decision and your surgery.
My dilemma exactly. Hoping I can keep at least one.
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:39 PM

I had one ovary removed in Feb. due to constant pain, cysts, and a good bit of endo. I'm having the other one removed during my hysterectomy so that any remaining endo will (hopefully) die off without the estrogen. I also have a family history of ovarian cancer plus other things that could lead to it (few periods, several rounds of fertility drugs, etc).
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM

This is a very INDIVIDUAL decision. I chose to have mine out because of my Dr.'s recommendation (I was almost 50), and also because I was hoping that menopause would ease the very severe migraines that I have had most of my life.

Although my migraines have not disappeared, they have vastly diminished with menopause.

However, if I was younger, I would have probably chose to keep my ovaries.
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:48 PM

I am choosing to have mine removed. I've dealt with menopausal symptoms because of low estrogen since I was 15 years old and have had to be on HRT for the better part of 16 years. Because of my own experience, I knew this was a decision that was right for me.

I am having a hysterectomy at this time in my life because my ovaries hurt all the time, I don't ovulate on my own and just build up useless and painful cysts that don't burst and go away. This is why my ovaries being left behind could prove to be problematic and require removal later.

This is a risk I'm willing to take even though all estrogen production will be stopped in my body. My doctor is not upset about my choice but understands why I wouldn't want to have another surgery later. I've heard of women who have similar ovarian issues who kept their ovaries behind only to grow massive and painful cysts that required large incisional removal of them later. My fears are with this possibility.

You must weigh what you are going through that is making you need/want a hysterectomy and ask yourself based on your family history, health history and ability to endure the type of surgery that might be required later in addition to whether or not you want to go instantly into chemical menopause. So many things to be thought about with this decision.

Not one decision is right for all of us. Not all women will react the same way to the loss of ovaries. Some think it's the best decision they ever made, others feel it was the worst decision. I'd say trust your doctor entirely with the decision but I decided against keeping them once she told me all the details about the possibility of going back in.

Weigh the risk/benefit factor.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Thank you all so much for your responses. What a process this has been and without hystersisters and all of your concern and advice I don't know what state of mind I would be in. I am less than a week away from my surgery. I am keeping my ovaries, unless the doctor finds they are in bad enough shape to take them.

My reasons for keeping them are because I really don't have any problems with them, they do have very small cysts according to the ultrasound. And I ache a little. But no real problem. I figure they can be taken out later but can't be put back. I realize the pros and cons thanks to all of you, that is so helpful!!!

I hope all of you are blessed and I just want to say I appreciate all of the responses to my concerns.
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:39 PM

i am going to warn as many women as i can that once your ovaries are gone (or 'compromised') sex will not be the same..i had a partial and it left me without my orgasms...you decide what the trade off i s...if i had known that was going to happen i would have never agreed to the surgery fibroids or not...there are ways to shrink fibroids that i was unaware of...please do research..my life is a living hell now..
and i would hate for anyone to go thru what i am because no one cared enough to warn them...
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM

I had my TAH/BSO 17 months ago, and honestly, sex has been better than ever. I have had no problems with "o's", in fact, they are better than ever now. DH and I were like newlyweds once we were given the go ahead after my surgery. And it is still good.

I have had other recovery issues, but problems with sex is not one of them. Lets be careful not to assume that everyone who has their ovaries removed with have problems in the area of sex.

There is always a chance that sex will not be the same, but there is also a chance that it will be just as good or even better.

The best decision is one made with you and your doctor deciding what is in your best interest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register