ovaries or no ovaries! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ovaries or no ovaries! ovaries or no ovaries!

Unread 11-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Re: ovaries or no ovaries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapz11 View Post
i am going to warn as many women as i can that once your ovaries are gone (or 'compromised') sex will not be the same..i had a partial and it left me without my orgasms...you decide what the trade off i s...if i had known that was going to happen i would have never agreed to the surgery fibroids or not...there are ways to shrink fibroids that i was unaware of...please do research..my life is a living hell now..
and i would hate for anyone to go thru what i am because no one cared enough to warn them...
8 women in my family have had their ovaries removed with no issues with orgasms and I've known plenty more than that outside of my family. The nerve pathways to orgasm are roughly the same for most women if you reach it clitorally, the nerve pathways if you reach it other ways could also be compromised if the surgery cut some of these nerves. But the ovaries have nothing to do with orgasm on their own.

What does your doctor say about this? I don't think this is a normal side-effect of having your ovaries removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 02:40 PM

yes the ovaries do have to do with sex and orgasms because that is where the hormones come from and if they are compromised it affects that adversley...almost every doctor i have seen since they surgery says its menopause brought on by the surgery...but that doesnt change the facts...no nerves were cut becuase everthing was fine for 3 months afterwards and then everything started to diminish..because of hormones dying out because of compromised ovary function brought on by the surgery...happy your family and friends didnt experience this but i am not lying about it and its affect on my life...i would give anything to have not had this surgery..anything...
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM

While it's true that testosterone dictates libido (sex drive) and estrogen helps with response and the ability to orgasm, and removing the ovaries does drastically drop the levels of both of these hormones and premature ovarian failure in women who keep their ovaries can also cause problems in this area, *most* women are able to find a combination of HRTs which helps restore sexual function post-surgery. However, finding that right combination can take quite a while, and if you don't have a supportive, knowledgeable DR working with you it can be well nigh impossible.

So, it's important for women contemplating surgery to have a dialog with their DRs about hormone replacement options that may be available to them either if the ovaries are removed or if they fail to work after surgery. The ones in the toughest shape are women who are not allowed to use HRT for medical reasons (history of blood clots, certain cancers, endometriosis come to mind).

It's also important, imho, to go into surgery secure in the knowledge that you have exhausted all non-surgical options first and that surgery is your last and best hope of a healthy, normal life. While most surgeries go well and recoveries are not complicated, bad things can happen to good people, and the ones who know they did the best thing for their health find it much easier to accept the sometimes non-optimal consequences of surgery. Be aware of the worst possible outcomes, hope for the best, and know that the odds are with you, as are our thoughts.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 05:40 AM

NAN65,

Glad you made this decision..good luck with your surgery and hope you recover fast.

Gursie
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapz11 View Post
yes the ovaries do have to do with sex and orgasms because that is where the hormones come from and if they are compromised it affects that adversley...almost every doctor i have seen since they surgery says its menopause brought on by the surgery...but that doesnt change the facts...no nerves were cut becuase everthing was fine for 3 months afterwards and then everything started to diminish..because of hormones dying out because of compromised ovary function brought on by the surgery...happy your family and friends didnt experience this but i am not lying about it and its affect on my life...i would give anything to have not had this surgery..anything...
Oh no, I'm not saying you are lying about it. I hate that has been the case for you. I went a couple of years being anorgasmic due to high blood pressure and it was the most depressing time of my life. I've also struggled due to nerve problems from my back.

I'm sorry you are dealing with such adverse side effects from your hysterectomy. hugs
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:40 PM

How does age effect this decision? I am 51 and having surgery soon, 12/2011. I'm still having trouble deciding on should I keep ovaries. I believe I'm in early menopause. I had an ablasion that stopped bleeding so I can't tell for sure. I think I'm having very mild hot flashes. No other signs of menepause. Dr. said it's up to me as I have no ovary problems or ovarian cancer history. At my age of 51 my mom says take it all out why risk ovarian cancer. She had cervical cancer.
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM

I am scheduled for surgery December 15, around the corner (Yikes). I just joined today. The articles have been helpful. I am in the same dilemma.
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Had my pre op today and we had the same discussion about what to do. He said if they (or at least one) is healthy and look good then we will keep them (or one). If they are too far gone then he will take them both. I too keep going back and forth on what to do... but I figure I will leave it up to my ovaries, lol. I started on B.C.P. in July and I tell you it made me have cold sweats all the time, it was horrible. I was thinking uuugghh, is this a look at menopause, eek! Good luck!

Kim
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Well ladies tomorrow morning is the big day!!! I am going to keep my ovaries, unless they are in bad shape. I know how some feel as far as going back and forth...I love that I have the final say before surgery! But when I made that final decision, I made it final, meaning no more doubts or second guessing, I have to be at peace with this and I am.

I appreciate beyond any real words the input of past experiences and the concerns that I can relate to. Good luck to each of you...Catch me in the post op forum soon!
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:43 PM

yes,i am in the same boat, it's up to me , been having alot of metapause symptoms already, im 46, decided to have a full hysterectomy and tummy tuck, ive been on natural hormones for a year and a half , definately help the hot flashes, not sure if they caused my uterus to grow and the fybroids, i decided to have a full hysterectomy, hope im making right decision, doc said i will be on hormones for life, wish me luck!he also said if we take it all out than the hormones are safer!best of luck hystersisters.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register