The great cervix debate? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The great cervix debate? The great cervix debate?

Unread 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM
The great cervix debate?

My goodness it's hard to find a definitive answer anywhere out there - so many arguments for or against keeping the cervix.

Today my doc gave me the option and my instinct was "if it aint broke, don't fix it" but the more I read online, even here, the more confused I am.

Anyone else facing this decision? How are you leaning? I think that the medical "facts" out there support both decisions, so I'm just kind of looking for personal opinions/feelings/concerns. I still have a little time to change my mind, although it looks like I'm getting fast-tracked YAY and will likely have surgery in about 2 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Re: The great cervix debate?

I'm having the same trouble deciding. Worried about sexual changes mostly. Wish it was cut and dry =(
Unread 11-23-2011, 11:38 PM

I am too having trouble deciding...i am tired of having 'girl' problems so for that i am all for it...but i thought i read somewhere that your sexual feeling is changed...i dont want that department changed...ugh...why dont men have to go through this....ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2011, 12:10 AM

ok so i was searching on line...on pros and cons on keeping cervex, and came across this article on sexual function and cervix removal....the artical is dated 2007, but i believe it made me actually feel a bit better on my dr's decision on removing mine....thought i would share. it said sex will feel a bit different the first few times but after that you will not notice the difference...

Per the artical.....""So ladies, the answers are truly simple. Even though a total hysterectomy often includes the removal of the cervix and the sewing closed of the vagina the surgery will not inhibit sexual intercourse or sexual climax. If you are having trouble achieving climax it is more than likely due to a decrease in progesterone or estrogen levels and can be corrected with the proper hormone replacement therapy""

I hope this helps...it made me feel a bit better =)
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:04 AM

I think if men went through this a whole lot of things would be different. For one, endometrial biopsy would involve general anasthesia. Or at least demerol. That was HORRID.

I'm starting to lean towards changing my mind on the cervix thing. It's hard to judge, though. I have a feeling that someday I may care about sex again (my poor husband) but right now I'm thinking nothing is ever, ever traveling that route again. I've been violated by way too many pieces of equipment.
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:51 AM

from what my said, if they didnt remove my cervix, I could still have mini periods,I have done enough of that for a life time, so take what you need, and I will deal with it after..
I have had 2 c-sections and my tubes tied, so dont know what kind of scaring he will find,that will determine alot..
everyone have a wonderful thanksgiving... My blessing to all of you xoxoxoxox
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:14 AM

For me it was an easy decision. Take it out...no more paps, no more risk of cervical cancer. My sexual pleasure does not come from there so not gonna miss it. I did lots of reading before I made the decision, and the conclusion I came to was it really has no purpose after childbirth. I did keep my ovaries, as they still have a purpose.

My friend had everything removed over a year ago, she still has icky draining and has to wear panty liners constantly. I had my surgery last week and so far have not had any bleeding or drainage whatsoever.

I look forward to my six week mark when I can resume sexual activities and confirm that I can achieve orgasm without those lady parts I had removed.

Good luck with your decision Sista!
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:13 PM

I have chosen to have mine removed. I have had about 4 abnormal Pap smears over the years and although they seem to correct themselves, I just don't want to chance future problems with it. It seems like the best choice for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register