My belly is so swollen | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My belly is so swollen My belly is so swollen

Unread 11-24-2011, 03:49 PM
My belly is so swollen

I had surgery on Monday and it seemed to go pretty well. I came home on Tuesday night. Yesterday I was in a lot of pain and stayed in bed the majority of the day. Today I am swollen and it seems to have spread down to my pelvic area. Is this normal? My belly is swollen but I don't remember it being that far down yesterday.. Does this make any sense? I am afraid I may have done too much today. I am having a hard time sitting around doing nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2011, 04:10 PM
Re: My belly is so swollen

I had a lot of swelling and still do at 3 months. Since you're only a few days out, pain and swelling would not surprise me, even though they are definitely not fun! I was wearing underwear 2 sizes too big for the first 4-5 weeks because of the swelling. Now I down to just 1 size too big.

I think the big concerns are heavy bleeding and fever. The fever is an indication of infection. I would say to put an ice pack on the swelling to see if that helps. I have 4 icepacks in my freezer that I rotate.

However, you also know your body and it is good to monitor changes. My doctor's office has a nurse advice line for questions, and your's may have one as well. Your insurance company may also have a nurse advice line. Those can be great resources if you want to check with a medical professional.
Unread 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM

4 1/2 months and still swelling up to my bra band. Still can't wear any underpants and only able to wear yoga pants. None of my doctors prepared me for this. Hang in there and listen to your body. If your alarm bells are going off, call your doctor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2011, 11:01 AM

I'm still swollen at 8 months though softer now, not so solid! Still wearing comfy elasticised trousers or skirts which is my best advice. Not everyone will be swollen for months though, so fingers crossed you'll be one of the luckier ones
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM

Thank you for all the responses. I am so lost with all of this. It seems three weeks ago I was running like crazy no idea that I would be here today. I started to bleed. I have never been sick in my life. I knew something was wrong because the only time something was off was the four times I was pregnant. I scheduled an appointment and went to the doctor.
My doctor felt that it was probably just forties hormones. I told her that I was scared to death and I didn't think so. I just became a grandmother and I don’t want to miss one day of her life. I can’t imagine not being here. I am sure most of you understand what I am talking about. Becoming a grandmother has been the most wonderful experience in my life. I crave her twenty four seven. I can’t wait to see her. If I could quit my job and stay home with her I would. Unfortunately, I have about 15 years before I can do that. So, I demanded a biopsy because I was so afraid of cancer. My doctor did not think it was necessary; however, I was so emotional that she agreed to do it. She told me she would call me in a couple days. She called me a few days later and told me I had uterine cancer and I needed to see an oncologist. I was fortunate because I am a division manager of one of the largest healthcare companies in the US and one of my coworkers called and had me scheduled the next morning. So my surgery was last week.
I unfortunately, do not have a nursing degree but have a degree in business. I am an emotional wreck right now. I am waiting for the results of the lymph node sampling. It has been a week. My oncologist said that it would probably be today when they got the results back due to the holiday. I can’t think of anything else, so scared…. Needed to vent this…
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Oh ashepuppy hang in there, you were on the case so quickly you must surely have a great chance that all will now be OK, & on the bright side you can spend lots of your recovery with your granddaughter. You're so blessed to have her & your 4 children. Come back to us when oncologist gives results - meantime rest & try not to be scared. You & your colleagues have done everything right. Love to you & good strong positive thoughts from Devonshire xx xx
Unread 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Ashepuppy, check with your doctor. You may have more swelling than most if you had lymph nodes removed as it affects the lymphatic drainage.
Sorry to hear of your awful experience. I had my hysterectomy because of precancerous changes and that was scary enough.
Praying the results of your lymph node sampling is clear and you have many years ahead to enjoy your grand-daughter.
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:26 PM

My belly is still very swollen and as soon as I eat I get VERY sharp pains down there. If I sit up for a long period of time, I get pressure down to my bottom area. I spoke with my doc and she said everything went fine with my hysterectomy and said I should talk to my reg doc about any bowel issues. Anyone else have this problem?
Very stressed and depressed ..... surgery was Oct 17,2011
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:40 PM

I want to know how to get the doctors to stop tossing you back and forth. The reg dr sends me to the gyn who sends me to the gastro. And the circle starts all over again. I am swollen, have mood swings, cry alot, dont give a *ef*, no sleep, bowels dont work...I def understand where you are coming from. Dont worry, until they tell you to worry. No one understands how I feel, or why I am borderline from slapping someone. Kinda funny. Is there a dr who specializes in only recovery from the surgery?
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:51 PM
My belly is so swollen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHP365 View Post
I want to know how to get the doctors to stop tossing you back and forth. The reg dr sends me to the gyn who sends me to the gastro. And the circle starts all over again. I am swollen, have mood swings, cry alot, dont give a *ef*, no sleep, bowels dont work...I def understand where you are coming from. Dont worry, until they tell you to worry. No one understands how I feel, or why I am borderline from slapping someone. Kinda funny. Is there a dr who specializes in only recovery from the surgery?
I hear you sister! My GYN and PCP are both surprised I'm still swelling hugely, can't sleep past 2:00 am, and having horrible pain in my hips/pelvic area/groin. I'm crying a little less but that's not saying much since I was crying for days at a time. I feel so abnormal and everyone around me is looking at me like "shouldn't you be feeling better by now?!"

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register