Any problems with ovaries after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any problems with ovaries after surgery? Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

Unread 12-22-2001, 11:50 AM
Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

Hi there, I have 2 weeks to go to Surgery (Jan 8th). Need to decide whether to keep ovaries or not - Dr. says due to all the pain I have had better to take them out to prevent future problems, but I know that there are some good things coming from the ovaries even after natural menopaus. I am thinking of either keeping the ovaries if they are 100%+ healthy to get the benefits of natural HRT & natural menopaus (albeit earlier), or taking the ovaries out to avoid any future problems and starting HRT right away. Has anyone who kept ovaries had any pain from adhesions, or have the ovaries shut down or caused any problems (in other words is anyone sorry that they didn't have ovaries out and/or did you need HRT supplements even while keeping ovaries). Your opinions and experience is much appreciated. This decision is very difficult particularily since the Dr says either decision is the right one, just depends how I feel - and I can't decide which is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2001, 03:25 PM

Hi Mary!

This is a big decision. And a personal one. I did not have a choice with my ovaries (both were removed), but if I did, I would have definitely kept them as long as they were healthy! No doubt in my mind -- unless the DR was recommending otherwise for other specific reasons.

You may find varying responses from those who have kept ovaries; I think most of them have been very positive experiences. As you know, there are some that have problems.

Just wanted to share with you my opinion and my experience; I had to have both ovaries removed, and I know that everything will be fine eventually, but right now I am in a struggle trying to get my hormones in balance. Again, however, I would have kept them if they were healthy.

Best of luck - I know you will make the decision that is right for you.

Unread 12-22-2001, 05:52 PM

I had a TAH at 38 (a year ago) for fibroids, kept the ovaries. As far as I can tell they are still working fine, and I hope they will be for many years. I'm glad I kept them. After 23 years on BCPs it's a surprisingly freeing feeling to not have to take *anything* every day - just to be healthy on my own. If I'd had endo, major PMS, cysts, or a strong family history of ovarian cancer, I may have had them out, but so far they haven't caused me any trouble, so they got to stay.

Something you may want to throw into the equation when you're figuring what to do is the age your mom went through menopause - which may (more or less) be about when you do. My mom says about 55, so I had 17 years left. You mentioned "earlier" menopause after a hyst... I haven't heard anything to convince me that's necessarily the case. (There *may* be studies proving it, I just haven't heard about them.)

I know it wouldn't be any fun, but I also kinda figured if they become a problem later I can have them out them, but there's no putting 'em back if you have 'em out now.

Best of luck with your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2001, 08:41 PM
Keeping ovaries

Hi I haven't had my surgery yet. I have the ade and my doctor isn't taking my ovaries but he said that around the time of the month that I would normally have my period he said I would feel some discomfort but nothing like now. The reason is that they are still releasing eggs. Hope this helps
Unread 12-23-2001, 07:04 AM
Kept ovaries

I kept my ovaries and they're working fine. My doctor planned all along for me to keep them (I had just turned 40) and so that was fine with me. Uterus and cervix were removed, ovaries were left. So far, no problems
Unread 12-23-2001, 07:14 AM

I'm only 2 1/2 wks. post & kept my ovaries. May be too soon to tell, but so far so good. I did have a couple of days this past week when I felt a bit emotional, but it could also have had something to do with overdoing things and lack of sleep. My doctor strongly advised me to keep my ovaries, but it all depends on your body and the reason for having your hyst. I'm sure more sisters on here will be able to give you more pros & cons. Personally, I think that if you can keep your ovaries it's better for you. I'm just thankful I don't have to go through the instant menopause like some have had to do, especially when just having to get over losing my uterus. Good luck with everything!
Unread 12-27-2001, 09:40 AM

Dear Mary,

If your ovaries are healthy & you have no family history of ovarian cancer, you should strongy consider keeping them.

While there is no 100% guarantee that, if left behind, the ovaries would remain trouble-free forever, there IS a 100% guarantee that REMOVING them would throw you into instant menopause.

My doc gave me the option of keeping my healthy ovaries or losing them at age 42 (before these message forums were around). He actually said: *as long as I'm in there*. THAT was his *reason* for suggesting to remove them... grrrr. Anyway, it was dumb luck that I chose to keep them. They are still puttering along just fine.

Just sign me,
A happy ovary snob in Colorado
Unread 12-27-2001, 04:17 PM

I am NOT advocating taking out ovaries "just because"--but I had everything removed and I feel exactly the same as I did beforehand, except calmer (no cancer worries!). Not everyone who has ovaries out experiences horrible things. My doctor was surprised that I didn't have problems, but I felt great after surgery and still do (2.5 weeks post-op).

My entire surgical and post-op experience has been wonderful. Since I had it done vaginally and I had repair work done (I was too large due to big babies), I do feel some stinging occasionally, but it's nothing.

The only bad time was when I took generic vicodan and it made me sick. Now I just use tylenol or motrin if I've been overdoing it, which I have.
Unread 12-27-2001, 05:30 PM
Mary

Hi there and hugs! My own personall opinion is if the ovaries are healthy then leave them. I am 14 weeks post from a LQAVH/RSO. I lost one ovary due to endeo but managed to keep the left one. I have had no problems what so ever and am so glad that I managed to keep one. I did not want to go on any form of HRT and wanted menopause to be as natural as I could possibly manage.
Unless there is a family history of ovarian cancer etc then I would opt to keep them. Hope this helps hugs Vicki
Unread 12-27-2001, 07:33 PM
no problems at first....

Mary

Hello and happy holidays! I had a TAH on 8/27 and kept my ovaries. They worked great for the first few months, then they went on vacation! They were gone for about 2 months and then they came back. I feel better than when they were "gone", now I am just waiting for them to settle in and "unpack" from their vacation. I am waiting to see my doctor to find out about HRT.

Sometimes I wish I had asked to have them removed. My doctor was originally planning to take out one of them. Post-op he said they were perfectly healthy and so he left them. I guess I am experiencing the post-op shock I've heard ovaries sometimes go through.

I hope this has helped you and not scared you. Everybody is different and their bodies react differently.

Best of luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register