Any problems with ovaries after surgery? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any problems with ovaries after surgery? Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

Unread 12-27-2001, 07:43 PM
Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

It really, really depends on your age.

I knew my ovaries were shutting down. I will be 53 next month, and mine were saying 'bye bye'. I hadn't had a real period in a year, as I think I said somewhere in this thread. I'd had hot spells (not bad at all) when I was around 50, and had vaginal dryness.

So far I have noticed absolutely NO difference from before and after my surgery. I think it's because I had already gone through most of menopause.

I think that if a person has healthy ovaries and is relatively young, doctors shouldn't touch them. If they are functioning well, keep them.

In my case, because of my family history and because I was older, I didn't want to have another surgery like this in a few years. And I really didn't want to find out I had ovarian cancer in a few years. I was SICK of having to have pelvic ultrasounds every 6 months-year.

Did you say how old you are? Maybe I missed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2001, 03:11 AM
maryw.......

Your question is directed to women who kept their ovaries, but I wanted to give you my experience even though I had them removed.

Because of my age (52 at the time of surgery), and the fact that I was already menopausal, my doctor decided it would be better to remove the ovaries. It was only AFTER the surgery that I found out I have a blood clotting disorder which prevents me from taking hormones. If I had known that before my surgery, I surely would have kept my ovaries.

Here's an old thread which points out the benefits of keeping at least one ovary, no matter how old they are.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=10987

If your ovaries are healthy and there's no history of ovarian cancer in your family, why not discuss with your doctor the benefits of keeping them. Even if they work for only 2 years afterwards, that's two years that you can avoid HRT.

And ask yourself this: If you weren't having a hysterectomy, would you ask your doctor to remove your ovaries?
Unread 12-28-2001, 05:27 AM

Good point. In my case, I knew I wouldn't be taking HRT and that didn't bother me at all (I have no desire to start hormones or any "natural" supplements). I also knew that I did have probably one good ovary--but I didn't want another surgery AND, I have a family history of breast/uterine/prostate cancer and didn't want to keep worrying. Knowing family history is good, but it sure can be a DRAG!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2001, 11:57 AM
I have been wondering too

I am scheduled for LAVH on Feb. 1. My doctor has advised, because I will be 52 years old in March, that my ovaries be removed, but he is leaving it up to me. I am really on the fence. I do have a family history of cancer (although not ovarian) - both my parents died of cancer and other relatives have had different forms of cancer as well.

I have been on BCP for about five years now and that has kept my periods regulated. To tell you the truth, I have no idea if menopause has begun, because I think the pill may mask the symptoms?? I am not clear on that. At any rate, I realize that removing the ovaries will induce menopause immediately. But again, I am almost 52 and does it make sense to keep ovaries at this stage of the game, in my case?

So many questions.
Unread 12-31-2001, 12:21 PM
ovaries

I am new to this but will be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and kept ovaries. Dr and I were not sure what was going to happen until he went in and looked, but suggested that if they looked good leave them due to the fact that I am only 32 and haven't done well with birth control and didn't want me to have a lot of problems with HRT. Well ovaries looked good and they were left and I haven't had serious problems as of yet, the only slight problem is that the first 2 week I had night sweats but that went away. Hope it helps
Unread 12-31-2001, 12:30 PM

I wonder why you had night sweats when you kept your ovaries. How odd. The uterus doesn't produce any hormones. Oh well. At least they are over. I wonder if your problems could have been a reaction to some medication?

PS--if you kept your ovaries, you shouldn't have any problems. My sister only kept one and she felt great (she was 34 and is now 59). She did go on hormones at 55 because she felt she would look better.
Unread 12-31-2001, 07:27 PM

Ladies

As I have previously mentioned my ovaries went on a little vacation. I was starting peri-menopause when I had my surgery and they have lessened but none the less continued. The night sweats have almost completely disappeared. Wish I could say the same thing for the hair loss, MAJOR mood swings and dizzy spells that are so severe they tend to cause instant migraine strength headaches and naseau.

I am hoping that my upcoming dr's appt will give me some answers.

Best of luck to all!
Unread 12-31-2001, 08:13 PM

Hi!

I'm 35 years old and had my TAH in November of 2001. My doctor told me that unless my ovaries looked damaged or were not functioning right, he would definitely suggest I keep them.

I did keep my ovaries, even though my insides were a mess, my ovaries still functioned well and had no damage from the endo or adeno. I really did not want to have to think about HRT at my age unless it was needed.

I've not experienced any pain from my ovaries since the operation or any other side effects.

My .02? Keep'em if you can!

Good Luck!
Unread 12-31-2001, 09:03 PM

>> The night sweats have almost completely disappeared. Wish I could say the same thing for the hair loss, MAJOR mood swings and dizzy spells that are so severe they tend to cause instant migraine strength headaches and naseau.<<

I don't get that at ALL!! You kept your ovaries and are having so many problems. I hope you get some good answers!
Unread 12-31-2001, 11:15 PM

HI MARY,
I HAVE READ SOME OF THE OTHER POSTS AND I'M GLAD THE OTHER WOMEN HAVE HAD SUCH GREAT LUCK, UNFORTUNATELY I HAVE NOT HAD THE SAME LUCK. IN APRIL I HAD A TAH BUT KEPT MY LEFT OVARY BECAUSE THE DOC SAID IT LOOKED GOOD, I HAD A CYST ON IT BUT HE TOOK CARE OF IT, MY RIGHT ONE WAS REMOVED SEVERAL YEARS AGO. PROBABLY RIGHT AFTER MY SURGERY I BEGAN TO HAVE TROUBLES, I STARTED TO HAVE PAIN GOING TO THE BATHROOM, DURING AND AFTER SEX, AND JUST PLAIN PAIN. I'VE HAD TESTS RUN AND THE BLADDER, ETC. LOOKS FINE SO MY DOCTOR SAID HE HAS HAD OTHER PATIENTS WITH THE SIMILAR PROBLEMS I AM EXPERIENCING AND IT ENDED UP BEING THEIR OVARY CAUSING THE PROBLEMS, I AM SCHEDULED FOR SURGERY ON JAN. 4TH. MY DOCTOR IS GOING TO TRY THE SCOPE BUT MIGHT END UP OPENING ME UP, NOW PLEASE UNDERSTAND, I'M NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU I JUST THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE GOOD TO HEAR THE OTHER SIDE. I MYSELF HAVE HAD SECOND THOUGHTS AND HAVE POSTED SEVERAL LETTERS TOO, I HAVE RECEIVED VERY POSITIVE LETTERS BACK FROM WOMEN WHO HAVE HAD EVERYTHING REMOVED SO THAT HAS HELPED ME AND MADE ME MORE RELAXED ABOUT THE NEXT FEW DAYS, BUT THE DECISION HAS TO BE YOURS, BUT IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR SUPPORT, THIS IS THE PLACE, AS I SAID BEFORE, I HAVE FOUND COMFORT AND YOU WILL TOO. GOOD LUCK AND MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. TRE

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register