Any problems with ovaries after surgery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any problems with ovaries after surgery? Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

Unread 12-31-2001, 11:39 PM
ovaries

I'm almost three weeks post-op. Had a TVH. I'm only 33 so my Dr. said he'd leave my ovaries if they were healthy and he was able to. I read a book called "Hysterectomy Before and After", by Winnifred B. Cutler,Ph.D. and according to the book even when your ovaries are left there's a 50% chance they'll live and a 50% they won't. The uterus is a vital part of the "symphony". The uterus produces prostagldins that control functions of the ovaries therefore their can be a deficit at first because the ovaries can kind of go into shock, but generally will continue to function normally over a period of time. The book does state that even "old" ovaries, if healthy are definetly worth keeping. I have had some trouble with hot flashes. They're starting to subside a bit, but I'm still having some trouble with insomnia, obviously considering it is 1:37 a.m. I go to my Dr. in a week for my post-op check up and they will see then if I need any estrogen then. I hoping not to have to take anything. Maybe one more week will help my ovaries kick back in 100%
KayeKaye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Any problems with ovaries after surgery?

Boy, it sure seems like AGE has a lot to do with decisions. I am just so glad I didn't have to make this decision earlier.

However, my ovaries didn't work right until my late 30's anyway. My periods were a mess and I had extremely horrible cramps. I delivered my first (surprise) baby three weeks before my 36th birthday and had another one at 39, and another surprise at 46. I must be just a late bloomer.

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and felt great from the start. I guess my ovaries had already shut down, but according the blood tests the doctor did right before surgery, they were running perfectly. So, who knows? I wonder how accurate hormonal blood tests are!

When it comes to "female problems"-- all I can say is that "we" (everyone) sure don't know much. I have read Dr. Lee's books and other books, and they don't apply to me. I have filled out online questionnaires, and THEY don't apply to me. We are all individuals and what is truth for one person, doesn't appear to be for another.

Makes it hard, doesn't it? I guess the bottom line is to just pray and move ahead with whatever you (and your doctor, if he/she is competent) feel is right.
Unread 01-01-2002, 01:07 PM

The decision of whether or not to keep your ovaries is one of the hardest. For me, it was harder than the decision to have the hyst.

Initially, I instructed my doctor to "Take it all out". Then, after finding this place, talking to others who'd had hysts before me and just reading up on the issue, I didn't know any more. In my case, I had to take into consideration the fact that my paternal grand-mother died of ovarian cancer and that my father's sister and a few of his cousins have breast cancer and the fact that there is a HUGE history of cardio/vascular desease in both my mother's and father's family.

After menopause, women's risk for heart attacks increases dramatically. HRT has been shown to reduce this risk. However, there is a slight increase in the risk of breast cancer with HRT. And, to further complicate things for me, because of the risk of stroke, I may not have been able to take HRT at all.

I'm now over a year post-op and I kept my ovaries. I'm one of those ladies who's ovaries were affected by surgery. First, they went on strike for 3 months. Then, when they came back to work, they were a little rusty and that resulted in extreme PMS. To further complicate things, they sometimes forgot to work and, for a few months, I had peri-menopausal symptoms, including night sweats, hot flashes and that awful whooshy feeling.

Finally, all seems to have settled and I no longer experience any of these symptoms. I'm soooo happy that I kept my ovaries, because, at 45, I still have several years where they can benefit me - my mom was in her late 50's when she went through memopause

BTW, did you know that our ovaries continue to produce those wonderful hormones even after menopause? I figure that it is a easier to supplement our natural hormones than to replace them entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2002, 02:01 PM

Newest studies have been showing that HRT is NOT the big help people thought it was for women and heart problems. I have been following this very carefully for years because my mom died of cancer, but had major heart problems. Of course, we all know that 'studies' seem to change each year!

For me, it wasn't a big decision to get rid of it all--but I was older. I thank the Lord I didn't have to make this decision ten years ago.

I seem to have a similar family history to Dany. My dad's mom died of ovarian/uterine cancer. Both her sons (my dad & uncle) died of prostate cancer which they got in their early 60's. My father managed to live 17 years with his, but he was very agressive in his treatment. Had he been alive, he would have urged me to get my ovaries out. I know that my cousin also has had some 'female' problems--but I haven't spoken with her in more than 20 years, so I don't know what the problems have been. My mom died of breast cancer (she got it at 44) and her sister got breast cancer at 75 (doing well).

My aunt got estrogen-dependent breast cancer from 35 years of hormones. However, she loved being on hormones and was glad she used them. She felt they kept her young. Interestingly enough, she stopped the hormones cold turkey at 75 when she got the cancer, and has used nothing for the past five years. She still looks and acts fantastic and didn't notice a difference when she got off of them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register