Post op 12 days...Things I think you might want! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post op 12 days...Things I think you might want! Post op 12 days...Things I think you might want!

Unread 12-23-2001, 08:32 AM
Post op 12 days...Things I think you might want!

Ok, girls...I have survived 12 days now from post op and really things are getting better. The first 4 days home were rough, but after I had the staples removed, all is much better! Here are a few things I suggest for you who will be having surgery.

#1 Pillows...at home these are a wonderful comfort. I put a full size pillow under my knees while laying on my back to release the pulling from my belly incision and insides. While laying on my side, I took a small pillow and put under my tummy (I'm a plus sized gal). This seemed to stop my belly from falling to the bed and causing pain. Also while laying on my side, a small pillow between my thighs. For some reason, this also relieved my belly pain.

#2 Know for sure if you can take tylenol with your prescription. I didn't realize it and after 3 days in bed, my body ached so bad from being in bed that I could no longer rest. Once I found out that I could take the tylenol in addition to my pain killers, it eased the aches and pains and I was able to lie down.

#3 Your phone.....not only to contact your family and friends, but doggone it, if you feel crappy, call your doctor! I wish I had...when I went to see him at 1 week post op, I was a crying mess and begged for sleeping pills to help me sleep at night. He said he wished I had called before. (me too!)

I probably had too high of expectations after the surgery. Please remember that you will be exhausted and need to take good care of your body and your mental health!! If you enjoy movies, have someone rent you several to watch in the days after. The same goes for a good book. I found that needle work really lifted my spirits. Whatever you do, do it because it makes you feel good! You probably won't get another 4-6 weeks to pamper yourself, so do it right!

Good luck to all of you! It will be worth it, and when you are up to it, remember to join us on the post op side!

S,
Mindylou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2001, 09:43 AM

Great tips Mindylou!!
Thank you for sharing these with the LIW's.
Wishing you all the best with your recovery!
As well as a peaceful, painfree, pampered christmas!!
Holiday Hugs
Maria
Unread 12-23-2001, 09:46 PM
Loved post op 12 days... Things I think you might want!

Your message was great and took all your advice. I feel the same way.

Thank you for having someone else feel the same way.

Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2001, 11:06 PM

Mindylou, thanks for your survival message after 12 days. Your suggestions sound realistic. I'm going to print out a copy to refer to closer to my surgery date (moved due to change to 2nd opinion dr).

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better, and wish you a continued, speedy recovery.
Unread 12-24-2001, 07:35 AM

Hi Mindylou!

It is always great to get tips from someone who's been there! I am glad you are feeling better now and recovering well!

s to you and thank you for sharing some great ideas!
Unread 12-24-2001, 06:25 PM

Mindylou's ideas are all right-on! I would add a heating pad - IN the hospital - make it your very first request! It took care of all the lower back pain I would have felt for the five days I was in the hospital.

Remember everyone heals at different rates. I am lucky because I've done incredibly well, but I have met others who had surgery the same day who are barely walking. Listen to your body! And do not hesitate to say, "That's enough! I'm lying down."

Don't let anyone tell you what you SHOULD feel like - tell them what you DO feel like!
Unread 12-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Amen Mindy!

You've done a great post Mindy. You and I share the same surgery date. I agree 100% with everything you wrote. I'm so excited to be post. That waiting was definitely the worst part of all and after I got my staples out Friday my belly definitely feels a good bit better. No more pulling. I still use my tummy binder though (I'm a plus size too) it has helped a great deal. I just have a hard time sitting back and letting the DH and DS take over. My boys are good about chasing me back to the sofa or bed. I think they might just be "pillow police" in training.

To all of you LIW.........hang tough and hang around this site! There is no better support to be found. My sisters here have truly made this a better experience! To all of you both pre and post I want to wish you and your families a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and a WONDERFUL NEW YEAR!!!!!

:caroler: :santa: :snowman2:
Unread 12-25-2001, 08:10 PM

1 week postop here... (so forgive any typos. The laptop is on the thighs--cause there's no lap when you're lying in bed LOL!)

I keep a wooden tray on the other side of the bed (I don't have to share this bed, and for once I'm glad). On it are my Rx's, a bottle of water, some plastic cups, some plain crackers, the tv remote, my cordless phone, a small clock, pen, paper...stuff a person who's recovering and who lives alone might need right at arm's reach. (I even had some prunes there for a while--haha!)

So besides the pillows (great idea--I'd learned that from a back injury long ago), heating pad (just don't fall asleep with it), and all that... try keeping what you need close by so you don't have to keep getting up.

One final suggestion: I swear by a product called NoQweez (tm). They're wristbands designed to prevent motion sickness, but they work for nausea (and sometimes migraines) also. I reach for them before medication.

Whoozi/Jillian
TVH/BSO
endometriosis/adenomyosis
Unread 12-26-2001, 04:39 PM
Very good ideas. The ONE thing I wish I had taken...

to the castle was facial moisturizer! for 2 days I didn't get a shower (I had spinchter/rectal repairs that were more serious than my TVH and couldn't strain those stiches). I had brought my entire makeup kit in case I wanted to make up, but couldn't because I was a lizard skin! especially around my eyes where they were taped shut during surgery. My eyelids were saggy baggy dry and peeling. it was so bad I coated them in vaseline for 3 days straight when I got home!

If I had it to do over, I would have emptied my entire vanity top into my suitcase. you know the rule, if you don't pack it, you'll need it!!!
Unread 12-27-2001, 12:10 PM

I found that a body pillow is good when in bed when lying on your side. It seemed to support your whole body. Another must is the hot water bottle.

Angel 101

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register