dVH/RALH three days post op - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

three days post op three days post op

Unread 12-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Re: three days post op and I'll never poop again

I started on the stool softeners several days before surgery. I actually had a small BM at 2 days post op. I have continued on stool softeners and took some miralax. I don't like prunes so have been eating dried apricots. I guess I was a little too effective because I got the runs for a while yesterday but felt so much better too. So today it's back to stool softeners and apricots but I've stopped the miralax for now.

I also have been trying to eat lots of fiber. I have been eating hot cereal with ground flax added.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2011, 02:42 PM

me and my dog ate 2 pecan-coconut cream pies when we were alone at home.i guess it could be a stool softner.i ate it for medicinal purposes only.me and the dog...LOL
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:26 PM

I am not sure what all has been suggested, but I had a bowel movement 2 days after surgery using ClearLax, which is Walmarts brand of MiraLax. I have never been real "regular", so I use it all the time. I hope you find something to work. That is worst feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2011, 06:43 PM

My slow digestion freaked me out the night before surgery; the bowel prep didn't work when I expected it to. Didn't start till a couple hours before the procedure and even then I wasn't "done"... doctor assured me it was no big deal.

Surgery was Monday 8am... I had a catheter till Tues am which was out for a few hours but my bladder was still asleep - filling up but not emptying. Re-inserted catheter for awhile and finally peed normally around 36 hours after surgery.

As for the poop - nothing happened till Thursday am, and I swear that whatever came out was what was left from Sunday night before surgery. Nothing again until Friday at exactly 7pm when I had my first official post-op poop... it was wonderful!!!!! So, that was almost 3.5 days and I had focused on all the fiber foods I could swallow during that time: figs, chick peas, chunky apple sauce, oatmeal, and lots and lots of liquids.

Be patient... give yourself plenty of time to relax in the bathroom... take in a couple of good magazines and you'll feel relief soon!
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Day 6 I almost went to the ER- I was ready to burst!!! Then day 7 was spent on the toilet. However- if you have any fever at all- you better get on an antibiotic right away! Call your doc
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
three days post op

Day three after surgery: I am feeling a lot better. Still quite sore, but better. I did not have a successful bm until this morning. No pain with it though. I have been taking colace; prune juice also helps. Before the bm, my tummy was so painful. Felt like there was tons of gas built up plus the pressure from the surgery alone. Just taking things hour by hour. Good luck to all
Unread 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM

So are the 'sisters' saying it's ok to take the pain meds and also the laxatives. I tried to switch to only Motrin-types... but does the body just need to 'get back to normal' on its own? Just not sure what to do...
Thanks to everyone
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:26 AM

I'm personally getting quite cranky. It's been 6 days since surgery and I'm convinced my doctor sewed up my anus when doing the posterior repair! I have to go so bad and can do nothing but pass gas! I've taken the stool softeners, a laxative, eaten enough fruit to cause an elephant to have explosive diarrhea! Water is a main staple as well. Still, nothing. I'm sooo over it! My boyfriend is about to take me to the drug store where I'll make the sales lady cry with the amount of enimas and suppositories I'm about to purchase! If this does not work I will go back to the doctor and throw my empty boxes at him!
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM

Some of these posts have made me laugh so hard my stomach hurts, and it hurts enough already as we all recognize!! ...thanks for sharing the information and the humor in all of this. Somehow we will all get through it - and in this thread we know what that means!
joanie
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM

I am 3 weeks post op, had Endometriosis removed from my colon. I too, thought the same thing...there is hope girls! Poop will come!!! I drank prune juice and began taking OTC meds instead of narcotics, that helps a lot. After the first poop, it was all down hill from there! Hang in there! Oh, take fiber, I love the gummies. Most importantly, put food in that is easy to get out. By that, I mean, don't eat foods that are painful to poop out, for example, no cheese, popcorn, you know what I mean girls. I ate lots of soup, things that didn't make me feel so full and bloated...it took me a week to go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register