Unsure about surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsure about surgery Unsure about surgery

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:57 AM
Unsure about surgery

My surgery is tomorrow. A mass on my left ovary. I will be 62 on Thursday. I feel I have been rushed into this. A little scared. I had a cyst removed from the right ovary when I was 16. One when I had my tubes tied at 26. I've had normal and abnormal paps since 1995. In 1996 even had an ultra sound that showed a mass then an MRI that showed nothing. I am post menopausal by 6 years. No periods 'til Sept 2nd then bled for a month straight. Family doctor ordered ultra sound. It showed a 9cm mass. They sent me to a OBGYN. he sent me for a blood test that came back normal and a pap that came back normal. But both doctors say it needs to come out. I was concerned because they did not do an MRI, CT or at least another ultra sound. It's a little late now, I know, but can they be so sure with so little information? They are taking everything except the cervix at 7:30 tomorrow. Bikini cut the doctor says. I guess I need a little reassurance. My husband is having me write up a will by the way. I have learned so much here already. Thanks, everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Re: Unsure about surgery

I'm not a doctor and I can't really answer the question, but if you feel you have been rushed and you still have questions about the surgery you absolutely have the right to cancel the surgery.

Please take a little time to consider your feelings about this. Ask yourself do you fully understand your doctors explanations of why surgery is required. If you really do not then consider cancelling.

If you feel you do understand then try to step outside of yourself and work out are you afraid of the surgery and recovery and is that why you are asking these questions. It is totally ok and natural if that is the case.

I had a moment of doubt on the way to my surgery, nearly turned the car around.

Breathe, think and trust your judgment - and remember, we are here for you.
Unread 11-27-2011, 04:10 PM

I had doubts about my surgery too. I desperately didn't want to do it and even now at 4.5 months out, I can't believe I actually went through with it. I feel like I did it because that's what everybody expected me to do. I had a lot of pain and two doctors recommended hyster. They made it sound very routine, no big deal. It is a very big deal. I thought I can't continue to complain about pain unless I'm prove I'm willing to do something about it. I'm not having an easy recovery and Im so mad at myself for doing it. I wish I had listened to my inner voice. I'm unhappy and in more pain than before. This is not typical and I don't want to worry you - my point is simply to listen to your heart and do what's right for yourself. The self doubts and kicking yourself after the fact aren't fun. Wishing you luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Linda - I had a TAH BSO for my large (12 x 9 x 11 cm) ovarian cyst (also had uterine fibroids). My situation sounds a bit similar to yours, although I am 46 and was not menopausal at the time of surgery. I had an ultrasound and an MRI after discovery of the mass during my annual exam. The MRI did not show much difference in the ovarian cyst than the ultrasound, but found more fibroids. In fact, my gyn onc surgeon said he preferred the ultrasound to the MRI because he thought that it measured the size of the cyst better.

If you wish, you can get another opinion on your situation. Make the decision that is right for you regarding your surgery.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM

You may want to think about this before canceling... you dont want to rush a decision and regret that you did not go through with it.
Unread 11-27-2011, 11:20 PM

It seems that mass has been there for a while and it isn't going anywhere, so why hurry? (unless they suspect cancer)

Another opinion might be worthwhile and a discussion of the options - There are always options - Do nothing is one. I urge you to take all the time you need to be sure this is the decision you want to make. You can take out the parts, but you can never put them back in.
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Well, it's all over now and very good that I went ahead with it. The doctor took a picture for me. My left ovary was enlarged at least two and a half times the size of my uterus. They sent it to the lab for a biopsy but I haven't heard any reports on that yet. Dr. appointment Monday. Will probably find out then. Just seems now that surgery is over the days go by so slowly. Pain really only when I cough. A little burning along the incision, but no redness or discharge. Just resting. Thank you all for your thoughts and replies.
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:07 PM

OldLadyLinda, I'm so happy you took the time to give an update from the other side and that you feel well enough to log on and post! It's the updates that help reassure me as I get ready for the big day.

Sounds like you made a difficult but great decision to have the surgery and I'm happy for you that you don't have that ginormous ovary in there anymore. No matter the biopsy results, it's better out than in.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and great news on Monday.

BeingMaxine
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM

Welcome to the other side, sweetie. It sounds as if it was good you went through with this. I hope news on Monday is good. Let us know!

In the meantime, rest, rest, rest and be the . Listen to your body. No house cleaning, dishes, etc. Your main priority is to heal.

Healing hugs and thoughts....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register