TAH...how long? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH...how long? TAH...how long?

Unread 11-27-2011, 09:43 AM
TAH...how long?

My Hyster is Wednesday and is a TAH. My doc suggested 2 or 2 1/2 hours for surgery and another hour or more in recovery. For those TAH sisters, how long in surgery and recovery and before you were in a room? Just want to see what average is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Re: TAH...how long?

Had a TAH which lasted 1 1/2 hours was in recovery for 2 hours. Went in on a Tues and came home on Thurs. Best wishes!!
Unread 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM

My TAH lasted 1 1/2 hours, and I was in recovery for about 2 1/2 hours before they put me in my room. I went in to the hospital on Tuesday morning and came home Friday afternoon.

(((Hugs)))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2011, 04:26 AM

I'm not sure how long my surgery was - pelvic wash, removal of cervix, uterus, tubes and ovaries via a vertical incision - but I went to theatre at about 1/4 to 11 a.m. and woke up in recovery at 1.30 p.m. There were no complications.

Was wheeled to my room by about 2 p.m. - was already in "my" hospital bed when I woke up, hooked up to the catheter, and when I got to my room I guess they attached me to the PDA pump, but I didn't need it for a while.

I was in hospital for 5 days, which is the norm here in NZ for the surgery I had.
It went well. My hospital care was outstandingly good, I thought!
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM

My surgery was 3 hours and 1 hour recovery. You wouldn't know if it's 1 or 10 hours when your out!! Last thing I remembered was laughing and then I was in recovery . Best of luck and get lots of rest!!
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Thank you. I just wanted to give hubby a range of possibilities.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Same as above - surgery 2-1/2 hours (was expected to be less but had a pre-surgery surgery - one of my fibroids was positioned perfectly in the way of hyster, so had a myomecotmy first) In recovery for about 2 hours - anesthesia hits me hard and I'm hard to bring out of it. Like Nomorepain67 said - you aren't going to notice or care, but your husband will. At a bare minimum 2 hours total, average around 4 hours, more if there are complications.

Best wishes for Wednesday!
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM

Doc comes out to speak with family shortly after, while I am still in recovery, true?
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM

My Dr. kept my family informed at all times. I was by myself so they had to call my family by phone. They were informed from the time I was wheeled into the OR until I was in my own room. I was told my Dr or the Hospital called about 7 times.
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM

Yes, they will probably speak to your family in the waiting room while you are in recovery. My doc spoke to my DH and my MIL and told them everything was fine and all was benign. DH wanted to see me, but doc said I was still in recovery and it would be a couple of hours still.

I remember the recovery nurses telling me everything was benign while I was in recovery. Then, they asked me about my pain. My doc visited me the next day in my hospital room, and told me again everything was benign and the surgery went well.

(((Hugs)))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register