Just Not Ready... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just Not Ready... Just Not Ready...

Unread 11-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Re: Just Not Ready...

Oh my, men! I LOVE the idea of asking the Dr. to "chat" with our hubbies in recovery/post op=mine just don't "get it" either-but do they ever?
I'm nervous also-I chickened out two years ago actually in preop and now I so wish I had it done then, as it's more complicated now-my Dr. too said I could be back at work in two weeks if I wanted and it can be completed robotically, but I'm telling him I have approval to be off 2-6 weeks, as I do-I hope that anyone here gets all the time they need to recover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 10:27 AM

Gotta love the men!! I asked my hubby last night if he knew what to ask the Dr. He said I am going to ask how you are and what restrictions you have. I said, also ask him what he took and what he left!! He says, well that be in the paperwork that they will give you!! LOL I said No, my restrictions will be in the paperwork that I will get but I NEED to KNOW what he took and what he left!! They are too funny! I am so stressed out right now with dealing with a family crisis that I really am looking forward to some quiet and "me" time. So exhausted right now. Good luck ladies with your surgery. All the best.
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM

I'm slowly getting ready. I think the busyness has helped me as my surgery date is getting closer. I'm scheduled for Dec. 12--a week before Christmas. My family is thinking I'll be up and around to do all the Christmas visiting. I don't see that happening and now the family wants to come over to celebrate at my house if I can't make it out. UGH. I don't think I'm going to want to be entertaining or seeing anyone 2 weeks after my surgery. Or will I???? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to tell everyone that I really don't want a crowd waiting for me at the hospital. Any suggestions for this????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJoM View Post
I'm slowly getting ready. I think the busyness has helped me as my surgery date is getting closer. I'm scheduled for Dec. 12--a week before Christmas. My family is thinking I'll be up and around to do all the Christmas visiting. I don't see that happening and now the family wants to come over to celebrate at my house if I can't make it out. UGH. I don't think I'm going to want to be entertaining or seeing anyone 2 weeks after my surgery. Or will I???? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to tell everyone that I really don't want a crowd waiting for me at the hospital. Any suggestions for this????
Maybe you will feel better than you expect!! Everyone is different in their recovery. Just wait to see how you feel.
As far as the hospital, I would just say that you are going to be "medicated" and sleeping most of the time and that people should visit you at home and not at the hospital.
Good luck with your surgery on the 12th. I can't believe my day is almost here!! Hugs.
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJoM View Post
My surgery was 9 days before Thanksgiving. I did absolutely nothing to prepare as we were invited to our friend's house and was told they would host the whole thing. It was wonderful! We arrived just before noon and left around 9:00 pm. My friend had her spare room ready for me and I was able to take a much needed nap mid afternoon while everyone else visited. I was also wiped out the whole next day.

Although my recovery has been very easy so far, I would never have been up to hosting anyone, let alone a small crowd. My advice - JUST SAY NO!

Have the clan get together in one location - not your house - that you can visit as you feel up to it. Stay an hour or 10 or don't go at all.

I know your family means well. My dad wanted to show up with his tool belt and do some unfinished work on our house - the last thing I wanted or needed. Much to his disappointment, I had to tell him no. This is your recovery and you have every right to insist that people respect your wishes.

Best of luck!
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM

I know in the past I have told the nurse I wanted no visitors or calls, and that worked out great!
I know what you mean, I've had some stress at work and I am actually thinking I am looking forward to a break from work even though I will be recovering and all-good luck to everyone!
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Just Not Ready...

Lol I'm thinking I've found some like minded women. Husbands - mine is getting color coded index cards with questions for doctor. I will flash card prep him prior ( and he will ignore me). Holidays and family I've given up on trying to make anyone understand. I'm the only female in the family with over-full time job and I get thanksgiving AND Christmas. They "drop by and bring stuff". It's my own fault. This year may be slightly different with surgery 2 weeks before holiday. I'm dancing my jigs when no ones looking and gonna try and stay comfortably checked out for a bit. Things will pile up and not get done, but I have faith hubby will come through if I index card the heck outa him when we get home. This is the stuff dreams are made of - index cards (big ones) and sharpie markers with lists and notes. Apparently men respond to this method of communication. Must be some sports like way of talking! It works. No nagging, asking or bargaining. Just cards. Even my 18&20 year olds get it. Lol. Pathetically I too, am ready for surgery over work for a few weeks. Horrid. one day at a time and laughing a little each day!
Unread 11-29-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embee28 View Post
Lol I'm thinking I've found some like minded women. Husbands - mine is getting color coded index cards with questions for doctor. I will flash card prep him prior ( and he will ignore me). Holidays and family I've given up on trying to make anyone understand. I'm the only female in the family with over-full time job and I get thanksgiving AND Christmas. They "drop by and bring stuff". It's my own fault. This year may be slightly different with surgery 2 weeks before holiday. I'm dancing my jigs when no ones looking and gonna try and stay comfortably checked out for a bit. Things will pile up and not get done, but I have faith hubby will come through if I index card the heck outa him when we get home. This is the stuff dreams are made of - index cards (big ones) and sharpie markers with lists and notes. Apparently men respond to this method of communication. Must be some sports like way of talking! It works. No nagging, asking or bargaining. Just cards. Even my 18&20 year olds get it. Lol. Pathetically I too, am ready for surgery over work for a few weeks. Horrid. one day at a time and laughing a little each day!
I love the index cards concept!! I will have to try that on hubby! I can relate, so looking forward to a mini-vacation, I just want some quiet time and a nap!! Good luck to you! Hugs.
Unread 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM

Hi, I can so empathize with your feelings. After having a second opinion for hysterectomy for what was suspected fibroids for the last two years, I was informed a month ago that there are no fibroids but I have adenomyosis instead. My husband being in the military stationed in another state, it is quite possible he may deploy in late Jan. or early Feb. So, if I am going to have assistance during this surgery, I must do it quickly (I also have two children in middle school). So we're in the process of scheduling my surgery one week from today - acck! I just found this out yesterday. I am trying hard not to let everything get to me and NOT to become overwhelmed. I am also type 2 diabetic, and I know first hand that the effects of stress are very damaging and wreak havoc on my blood sugar.

I think what was most distressing to me was hearing the doctor tell me yesterday that I needed to stop my exercising, because I'm simply too anemic. She told me I could cause heart failure (I've been riding my stationary bike approx. 8 miles/day), trying to stay as healthy as I can (and trust me, I'm not that healthy!), to prepare for the surgery. GREAT! I just felt sooo defeated yesterday when she told me that. But I am lifting my chin and holding it high - I am ready to get this thing done after exploring all my options and getting a second opinion. I'm just too darn anemic, and that is affecting EVERY aspect of my health, right down to my cognitive abilities. Grrrrr.

So, one week! I will make a list, prioritize, cook and freeze a little one day, shop a little another day, clean a little another day and also do some rest. As someone who has lost a dear sister and best friend unexpectedly in a routine back surgery, I know there are no guarantees with surgery ever, no matter how simple. So I will also love on my girls and husband a LOT one day beforehand : )

What doesn't get done will not bring the world crashing down. We will be ok and this will be my mantra. I wish you the best, and LOTS of peace before this procedure. Think the BEST!! A little talk with the man upstairs can also do a world of good. I look forward to following you and your results here - and pray for the best of outcomes for us all about to do this!
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:40 AM

I have to say I share the same feelings. I want to do so much, I do not have the desire or drive to do much of anything. I did get my shopping done, will try to wrap, been trying to keep up on laundry and so on. My surgery is 12/13 and I want to prepare more but... SIGH. Good luck to you, and those having surgery tomorrow. I too am scared... hope all goes wonderful and it is a new life for you all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register