How long will I need hrt? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long will I need hrt? How long will I need hrt?

Unread 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
How long will I need hrt?

I was wondering if or how long I will need HRT. I had a total hysterectomy 5 years ago. Was on Premarin.3 andcut it down and finally weaned off but the hot flashes are horrible. I am sweating and actually drips from my face when I am changing patients dressings and I am soaked at night. I want to go back on them. I do not smoke, nor drink alcohol and minimal caffiene. Any suggestions>??? I am so tired of being hot and sweating!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Re: How long will I need hrt?

Hi,

Everyone has different needs when it comes to how much or how long to be on HRT. My doctor says some need it for 10 years, perhaps a little longer, depends how old you are when you had your ovaries removed.

Women who go through natural menopause with their ovaries and uteruses have some estrogen well up into their 70's and the winding down of the ovaries naturally is slow and goes many years. Menopause starts naturally with some in their 40's all through to 70's. So five years on HRT is not long when you think about it.

I would get back on it if I was miserable and it was interfering with my daily life. You can take the lowest dose that you can manage on, and maybe later down the road you can see if you still need it or not. Hot flashes and sweats have always been a big indication that one needs HRT.

I was on it for 7 years and am now off. I was not ready at 5 years. The weaning off for me was long , over a year I would say. I started mid range after my surgery, then went on low dose and was on that for over a year, maybe two.

Hang in there

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register