Help! This is not what I signed up for. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! This is not what I signed up for. Help! This is not what I signed up for.

Unread 11-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Help! This is not what I signed up for.

I am 11 days post op today. Saturday I was doing much better only using ibuprofen. i didn't do anything then Sunday I wake up and I hurt just as bad as day 1! I started having problems breathing if sitting or standing I couldn't even talk. So I just didn't move all day. Monday morning I was still hurting but very determined to go to work. I got ready drove for the 1st time the kids to school. After the half mile to school I realized I couldn't drive to work 40 miles away because I could not catch my breathe.

I came home and laid down for a while. After about 30 minutes I called the dr.s office to ask them what to do. They referred me to the ER.

My husband had to go back to work today so I drove myself the miles to the ER. They took me back and immediately began checking for blood clots. At this point I am also having SEVERE pain under my right ribs wrapping around to my back when I breathe. Also my right side where my ovary was is excruciating. My oxygen was low so they put me on 4 liters of oxygen.
They gave me morphine throughout the 9 hours I am here to try to help with the pain.
The CAT scan comes back normal, the chest X-ray is normal, urine is normal but my bloodwork comes back with elevated liver enzymes. Never had this before. So now they do an ultrasound to check my gallbladder, all normal. Even with the morphine the pain under my ribs is still like an 8. They do more ultrasounds and nothing. They tell me that they are releasing me and I need to come back at 8pm to have my liver checked again. Now they are thinking that there is too much tylenol from the vicodin in my system even though the tylenol test they have done shows NO tylenol in my system.
They now give me Toradol and Dilaudid to try to help with the pain because I am almost delirious with pain and discharge me with a prescription for percocet and to come back to get the bloodwork at 8.

I go get the blood drawn and my Dr. calls to tell me that the levels have not changed to go home and come see him Wed.

I am still in horrible pain, can't breathe frustrated more than you can believe but I guess I am not currently dying even though I want to.

This morning I wake up from delirium take more pain pills, I can't even attempt to be upright or I can't breathe. I am now having yellowish discharge. The pain is 100% worse than day 1. Do I call the Dr, go to ER just try to survive until tomorrow? Sorry so long please any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Re: Help! This is not what I signed up for.

If you are in pain, go back to the ER.
They need to assign you a "pain management team,"
A group of professionals dedicated to making sure that you are not in great pain.

I am sorry you are feeling all of this.
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

I talked to my Dr. and I am going back to the ER. He is pretty concerned that it is my gallbladder. He said I can't sit at home in this much pain because I will never get better. I just hate being a "whiner" I wish I could just deal with it. And to top it all of my hormones are all over the place..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

So sorry you are having such a time. Hoping the ER staff is able to figure out what is happening!
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry that your pain has been so intense. Were they able to figure out what was causing you so much pain?
Don't worry about being a "whiner". You are entitled. You should not try to go back to work after only 1 week. I had my TAH on 11/17 and I can't imagine going back to work yet, although it took me a while to get to that feeling. I felt like a loser having my husband doing everything, but he is being a gem. He takes the kids to school and picks them up everyday. I did drive today and now I am paying for it. I have a low grade fever and a lot of pain. I'm trying to wait to call my doctor until tomorrow to see if I feel better.
You know, we as women try to do so much and it is hard to pay attention to ourselves because it is in our nature to take care of others and to ignore our own pains and discomforts. Also, you were probably use to ignoring your own pain before your hysterectomy. Please take care of yourself and allow your husband, family and friends to treat you like a princess during your time of healing. Seriously....lay around the house and read and watch movies while you have the opportunity to. It will help in your recovery. Believe me....I am talking to myself while writing you. I pray that you are okay and that you heal well!
Southernsweets
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM

So I ended up going back to the ER. They admitted me and I have spent the last 2 days in the hospital. Every test except for my blood work comes back normal. My liver enzymes are still elevated but I am feeling much better today. My dr. seems to think that I may have pulled a muscle and it all went downhill from there. They are hopefully going to send me home in a little while. I am sure glad that the horrible pain is past.

Thanks for all of the support.
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM

I am so glad that you went to go get treatment.
I am the same way. I hate to be labeled a "whiner."

The problem is that YOU need to put yourself first.
Your health concerns are of utmost importance, so that you can live pain free.

I am glad that the pain went away.
Unread 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM

I am finally back home!! I am back to about day 3 and lots of pain meds still but I think I am in getting better again.

The Dr. says he thinks I was pushing myself too much and to stop so I don't hurt myself. He is the best and never once acted like I am being a "whiner". He told me even if I was whining he doesn't mind as long as nothing is wrong with me that is detrimental to my health.

I love having a GREAT Dr., husband (overworked right now), kids, family and all off my sisters to keep me going!
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM

I am so glad that you are doing better. I tell you, it is hard for us as women to just sit still. I'm glad you have a great support team at home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register