Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

Unread 11-30-2011, 09:42 AM
you will know

It's a big decision, but when it's right you will know...like you I had fibroids (pedunculated, interfering with other organs causing multiple other problems along with the monthly trauma of menses) and massive adhesions. Like you I felt compelled to fight for my uterus until my GF (who is a nurse and has known me since our periods first started) said to me "your uterus has never done you any favours". For some reason that helped me alot, thought I'd pass it along in case it helps you too!
I'm a month post-op and feel a little better every day, I feel encouraged at the prospect of reclaiming my body and don't think I'll miss having periods one bit!
All the best!
HUGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Re: Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

*high fives McLila*

And I will add one more thing. I would say to myself the weeks before surgery to keep my mind on WHY I was having this done........................... "My uterus turned on me many years ago for no reason"

Now, I say "Look at my Battle Scar, I won the battle...HA !"
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Thank you so much, all of you. It is so helpful to hear from women who have gone through the same thing. I'm very relieved to hear that, despite the downsides, it was a positive choice for you. Thank you for the hope!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Wow ... I'm glad this is the first site I came to after hearing what you all have seen elsewhere ...

I'm scheduled to have SAH on 12/19. I also have fibroids; have had some for at least 13 years. They were not really bothering me before so I tried to ignore them. I had a tubal ligation in 2009 because I knew I didn't want to be pregnant again ( I have 2 living children, 2 not living). So when my doctor said that the fibroids have grown and that some surgery was needed I decided for the SAH. They are large enoguh that my uterus is pressing on my bladder causing urinary issues. I didn't want to try myomectomy since she said they really do that with women who want to have children and there is possibility of new fibroids growing. The embolization didn't appeal to me because it seems like I have to wait months to see if it works and then there is no guarantee that the fibroids will really shrink. I figured let's just take care of this situation once & for all.

So, it was yesterday that I decided on the surgery & I was great with it. Today, I am still sure but I m not feeling so great about it, hence I am here reading the forum instead of working.

yakfarmer, I think we just have to trust that we are making the right decisions and that our lives will be better for it. My doctor said something that I know to be true. We live with pain & discomfort for so long that we just become used to it and it's not until its gone & we look back and realize how bad it was. There is another way to live and we are entitled to it.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:31 AM

Shalex, I think it's true - the symptoms just keeping getting worse in small stages, so by now I really have no idea what it would be like to feel GOOD. Like you, I feel weird and am sitting here instead of working.
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:45 PM

no one on this board told me fibroids shrink after menopuase..at 51 i had a partial hysterectomy and kept my ovaries..but they died...and now i have sexual problems where before i didnt...you tell me what quality of life is that? if they can shrink the fibroids let them do it...dont end up like i did..you will not like this at all...sorry but i feel like i need to get the truth out ther of the aftermath of this surgery to women like no one got it out there to me...and that scarey website is one i wish i had found before any other website because they were right...
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:51 PM
before you choose...

..i know i will get alot of flack for this..but this board is for opinions and womens experiences with hysterectomies so my voice needs to count for something...a hysterectomy of any kind can change you sexually...i had a partial and now i cannot orgasm..my ovaries are done and drs cannot help me with hrts...knowledge is power...drs wont tell you this...sometimes even other women who have had the same surgeries wont tell you this..they sure didnt tell me...my advice is only if they say the word cancer...fibroids can be shrunk or removed,and yes it may be more risky but your quality if life is worth it..i learned all too late and now my life is hell....just my experience ladies...
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm so sorry your life after your hysterectomy hasn't gone well.....(HUGS). Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and of course, not every woman who has a hysterectomy will have a perfect life.

I'm not trying to give you flack for your feelings. We do need to be reminded that hysterectomies aren't the best choice for every lady but I'm confident that this forum will help many women make the decision they think is best for their specific situation.

Its the patient and the doctors responsibility to communicate thoroughly about the pro's & con's before having such major surgery. I've only stated what my own doctor told me about fibroids shrinking after menopause (mainly they grow because of estrogen and when we go into menopause, estrogen is no longer being produced). I was 31 (I'm 41 now) when mine were found and we were trying told hold out until menopause before making a drastic decision on hysterectomy. But, as I said, mine took a major growth spurt several months back and I had no choice but stop them from growing. The other "options" wasn't what I, personally, wanted to try. The risk factors for Lupron were crazy. Embolism........nope, not going to do that either. Didn't like the thought of having little plastic balls shot through my arteries. Myomectomy, why would I go through having my stomach cut open (for me, bikini cut), recovery would be the same time frame as hysterectomy and then they would still grow back? And I would have to have a hysterectomy later anyway? nope, wasn't gonna do that either.

At 51, wasn't it time for your ovaries to "die"? My mom went through menopause at 41 and was through with it at 42. I've already been hot flashing and having menopausal symptoms for several months before my surgery. Its just another stage in a woman's life. I still have my ovaries and I haven't attempted sex yet so I can't comment on that right now.

Many of the ladies in this forum have had such a horrible quality of life for so long already. They are willing to take that chance for a better one. And yes, there is always a risk of something not going right or not turning out the way you hoped after having such a major surgery.

I wish you the best and I wish all of the ladies that are waiting the best.
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:32 PM

I also appreciate your honesty. I have tried everything else, I think - lupron, embolization, Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture, yoga, diet, castor oil packs - the works. My doctor did talk to me about ovarian failure, but she seemed to feel that it is unusual in younger women. If I were close to menopause, I would TOTALLY wait it out. Or if the fibroids were smaller. I'm sorry it was such a painful experience for you. My mom had a large fibroid in her early 50s and the doc told her just to wait until menopause, which did take care of it. I wish more doctors were more aware of this. Like I said earlier, if this happened to men, I bet they would have figured out a better treatment than 'just take the whole thing out'.

I'm glad you have weighed in - this is not something to take lightly, and I value your comment.
Unread 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfarmer View Post
There are some SERIOUSLY scary sites out there! One told me that I would become a crippled husk with no joy left in life. How is that helpful????
Oh honey I ran into a few of those sites..they are beyond scary!!! Right down to the point of saying I was doomed for thinking of a hysterectomy. I put it off for two years. I am sorry now I did that because it put my health at serious jepardy. I am two days out of surgery and I agree. Once you get in a good place with this it goes so smooth. I had terrible back aches. It had gotten to the point I couldn't stand and wash a sink full of dishes. I even went to the dr to treat me for backaches. Want me to give you some good news...my back hasn't hurt in two days!!! passing gas not so fun and standing up quickly is a no no but I am good!!! Hubby already says my color is better...he told me after surgery that I was givin a new begaining to life and to make the most of it...that is just what I plan on doing...good luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register