Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

Unread 11-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Re: Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

I will admit that I wish I had waited on my hysterectomy. But then, my fibroids weren't as severe as yours. I had a myomectomy but she could only remove the parts that were protruding into the uterus, not the whole thing. She also did a d&c.

The next month, I had two periods. The second one was heavy and wasn't stopping. I gave in and said yes to the hysterectomy.

Dealing with my emotions and sense of loss (I do wish I could have had another child. My only child is on the autism spectrum but he probably got it from his father as his father has Asperger's. I wouldn't have had another child with the same man so I was hopeful that I could have a healthy, neurotypical child the second time around.)
Well, that can't happen now. Realistically, I knew that the odds of me having another child were slim but I hadn't given up the hope. I didn't have a chance to truly accept it.

Now, I'm heartbroken and wish that I had put off the hysterectomy.

Having said all that, if there was any risk that cancer was present, I would have had no problem saying yes to the surgery.

Many hugs to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcapz11 View Post
no one on this board told me fibroids shrink after menopuase..at 51 i had a partial hysterectomy and kept my ovaries..but they died...and now i have sexual problems where before i didnt...you tell me what quality of life is that? if they can shrink the fibroids let them do it...dont end up like i did..you will not like this at all...sorry but i feel like i need to get the truth out ther of the aftermath of this surgery to women like no one got it out there to me...and that scarey website is one i wish i had found before any other website because they were right...
I'm very sorry to hear that you were not fully informed and that your results were not what you had hoped for. Unfortunately, not all procedures go according to plan and complications can arise. I hope there is a remedy out there for you.

My doctor told me when we first discussed the possibility of hysterectomy (2 years ago) that we could try and wait it out for menopause. Unfortunately, my fibroids continued to grow with menopause nowhere in sight. In my case, the size of my uterus was interfering with other bodily functions and as large as the fibroids were, my doctor told me that even if I did start menopause, the shrinkage would not be enough at that point to solve my problems.

For me, the benefits of hysterectomy far outweighed the risks and my results have been great so far. Each of us must make our choice based on our own circumstances and priorities.

I wish everyone all the best, what ever choice they make.
Unread 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

My doctor told me that yes fibroids do shrink after menopause, but if they are large to begin with, they may not shrink back to tiny. I would ask detailed questions about what shrinkage is reasonable to expect.

I see-sawed back and forth. I had very large fibroids that were mostly asymptomatic. After 3-4 years of thinking, I did go ahead with an SAH. My uterus was 20+ weeks and the whole thing plus fibroids weighed 4 pounds. The recovery has been bumpy. At 3 months out, I'm still having pain and swelling. However, I am also glad that the fibroids are no longer weighing me down mentally and physically. This is major surgery and you do need to be willing to live with the risks of surgery. Your doctor can give you a list. I would also agree with the other posters that it may take a long time to recover. However, for me, I still think it was the right choice and I think I'll eventually get through the recovery in a few more months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM

My doctor also told me that they will probably shrink after menopause. The thing is, we can't predict when menopause will occur. For someone who is 50 or older who was not experiencing unbearable pain or discomfort, waiting may be the best option. At 42, I don't want to wait 6, 8, 10 years to see what will happen, especially since the fibroids are growing.

The bottom line is, as mentioned above, we have to make the decisions we feel are best for our health Ask questions of our doctors and research on our own until we are satisfied with the answers.
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM

Hi-

My story is similar to several on this thread. I am 7 wks post-op. I had a TAH on Oct 11th. My uterus was filled with fibroids, the biggest one was
10cm and the size of a grapefruit. My uterus size was comparable to that of a 5-month pregnant woman. Yeah, I looked a hot mess...LOL...prior to the surgery, I had passed out at work one day. I went to see my PCP where she discovered my iron level was dangerously low. I scheduled an appt. with my ob/gyn and thus the diagnosis was made. I had been having long, painful periods forever with huge clots.

My decision to have a hysterectomy was easy. I wanted my life back. My surgery was at 7:30 it lasted an hr & 15 mins. I woke up in recovery and thought we were getting ready to go in the OR..it went by quickly. I didn't have any pain at all (only the soreness at the incision site). The nurses kept telling me "you have a pain pump" and I told them "I don't need it, I'm not hurting". I felt like they were getting upset because I wasn't using it-I didn't need it. Everyone had told me I was gonna be in so much pain-it didn't happen. I was 100% alert when I made it to my room-like I had a nap and woke up. I didn't go home with any pain meds either. My dr has remarked she's never seen anything like it-a pain-free hysterectomy. I was also glad I had it done b/c she also found 4 polyps on my uterus as well.

My co-worker's wife is struggling. She's had an ectopic pregnancy & hasn't been the same since. They don't have children and she is understandably having a hard time coming to grips with not being able to give her husband a child.

Get 2nd, 3rd opinions if you haven't already. I hope and pray whatever your decision is that the outcome is well. Take care.
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:41 AM

I didn't have a choice either. My health was going downhill fast and my back was killing me all the time. People would stop me to ask if I were ok. It was effecting my other organs and I couldn't wait for menopause. Sex? I was bleeding all the time and tried and uncomfortable so sex wasn't something I had extra energy to have. I think it depends how you look at sex. I have talked to several people who have had a hysterectomy and they all said sex was better after surgery because they felt so much better. I look to the positve. I love the closeness with my hubby not just the sex. So many things we stopped doing because I didn't feel well. I just am looking forward to living again. I am sorry you had such a bad outcome but I think alot of getting better is mind over matter...
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:33 PM

I'm 51 and close to menopause. The thought of living with hormonal migraines, fibroids putting continual pressure on my bladder & bowels, cycles every 2-3 weeks as well as breasts feeling so tender I had to wear 2 bras made me realize my entire quality of life was beginning to dissolve. I am post op 9 days and in LESS discomfort than I have been in for the last 6 months. I was quite content with my decision. I have no idea what the future holds or if I will someday regret this procedure. As for this very day I am glad that I had the surgery.

Each of us have our own story and have to decide how the story journeys forward based upon our own experiences, beliefs & concerns. This is major surgery & a life changing event. Do research & evaluate the pros & cons as you make this decision. Best of luck.
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:50 PM

I also will add my opinion about intimacy. I'm 41 and been married 23 years. I love my husband deeply and really don't consider sexual dysfunction or lack of the big "O" as being a deal breaker for not having surgery.

Our love goes way deeper than sex. Yes, I do have concerns when we do give it a go but its not that important to me, personally. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not getting why some women are so obsessed with sex & the big "O". That is the least important thing I'm worried about, but that is just "me".
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Ditto Looking Up and Keltec,

I'm sure it will be disappointing if libido declines or if there are physical complications, but hell, we have that now!

I find it hard to be very interested in sex when I'm bleeding all the time and it's uncomfortable because of fibroids. Our main concern is that the surgery solves a number of problems and I'm able to resume a 'normal' life after recovery. Feeling better is the main goal, better sex is secondary.
Unread 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltec View Post
I also will add my opinion about intimacy. I'm 41 and been married 23 years. I love my husband deeply and really don't consider sexual dysfunction or lack of the big "O" as being a deal breaker for not having surgery.

Our love goes way deeper than sex. Yes, I do have concerns when we do give it a go but its not that important to me, personally. I guess what I'm saying is I'm not getting why some women are so obsessed with sex & the big "O". That is the least important thing I'm worried about, but that is just "me".
I so agree...tha best thing my hubby said to me when surgery was over was he couldn't wait to be able to go and have fun together like we use too...he is just so happy to have me healthy again!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register