Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:49 PM
Re: Hysterectomy for fibroids, hope I'm making the right choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar06 View Post
I so agree...tha best thing my hubby said to me when surgery was over was he couldn't wait to be able to go and have fun together like we use too...he is just so happy to have me healthy again!!!
That's us! In fact, my husband said the exact same thing. We used to go camping and for day hikes/trips and all kinds of fun stuff. We have friends with a day-sailor and we haven't been out with them in quite some time - the ability to spend all day on the boat with no facilities was rare.

Here's to the future!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 09:26 PM

I understand your scared, read all you can...that's what I did. Also I had a huge fibroid in my 20's and had a myomectomy, it was behind my uterous so that doc was able to take it out (the size of a babys' head). I had two healthy sons with no issues later. Now years later the fibroids came back, i'm 51 but when told there was multiple and I had to worry about bleeding (doc told me yesterday i had about 7 fibroids total) ...I said time to take it all out. I am glad i had the robotic thankfully, can feel good but some days surprised how tired I get but haven't been sleeping the best. I am happy that i won't have to fret over being out for a run or riding my horses and having bad cramping out there, a new chapter for me
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLila View Post
That's us! In fact, my husband said the exact same thing. We used to go camping and for day hikes/trips and all kinds of fun stuff. We have friends with a day-sailor and we haven't been out with them in quite some time - the ability to spend all day on the boat with no facilities was rare.

Here's to the future!
Yea we camp too and I so know what its like not to get to go because of bleeding too heavy. I have a brand new Harley sitting in the garage that I couldn't ride. Its really hard to ride and stop every half hour to make sure your clothes are ok!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 10:10 PM

im so glad i found this site, yakfarmer your story sounds like i could have written, with the exception of the trouble, i've never had any trouble with my fibroids other that the huge size, people asking when i was due...its ironic and cruel that i couldn't have kids due to the size of my fibroids, but they make me look like im ready for the blessed event and day now....im starting to come to terms with having the surgery, although i am scared, this site has been a God send
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM

i forgot to mention, good luck to you, and i look forward to hearing your story, we haven't scheduled my surgery, but i agreed to january as well
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:17 AM

I had a myomectomy 10 years ago and the fibroids came back. My doctor said that waiting it out until menopause was an option (I'm 49) and it's a good strategy for smaller fibroids. Unfortunately, she said that mine are so big that while they would definitely shrink, they would never go away and then you start to run into problems with them causing bleeding after menopause and there would be no way to know whether the bleeding was due to the fibroids or cancer. And since bleeding after menopause is an abnormal sign, I might end up having a lot of procedures to ascertain it wasn't cancer. We also talked about Lupron (would shrink but not go away).

What really 'sold' me on doing the hysterectomy is she said that the biggest comment she hears from her patients after performing a hysterectomy is "I feel so great, I wish I had done this years ago."

I agree - stuff on the internet is very scary. I was feeling particularly down about it one day and ran across a huge thread on another big forum (QVC) when the OP asked for positive stories about having a hysterectomy. There were pages and pages of women who all said they it was the best thing they had ever done and they never felt better in their life. That's when I realized that everyone's experience is different. I know not everyone has such a positive outcome. There are risks with each and everything we do. For example, for all the hoopla and supposed safety with Botox, there are prominent websites where half the posters detail very bad experiences. You always have to weigh the risks vs the possible benefits when you make any body-altering decision.
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM

I had a myomectomy 15 years ago at age 34. My fibroids were very large and I couldn't get pregnant. I now have a 12 year old son, and my fibroids are very large again. I'm now experiencing flooding and extremely bad cramps for a month now. My doctor went over all my options. He said I could try to wait it out, but my sister had heavy periods until age 58, and I can't possibly wait that long! He mentioned Lupron, but said he wouldn't give it to me if I was his sister. UAE - he said because of the size of my fibroids, there would be a good chance it wouldn't be successful. At age 49, I'm not going to have another myomectomy. That surgery was 5 1/2 hrs long and the recovery was difficult. My dr told me the hysterectomy will be an easier recovery in comparison. My c-section was a walk in the park compared to the myo!

I went from thinking I would never have a hysterectomy, I would try herbs, vitamins, progesterone cream, etc. But then the heavy bleeding just won't stop, and I realized that I am not living right now. I want my life back. I want a guarantee that I will never bleed like this again. Sex is a joke for me right now. My poor husband, he's a saint! I have so few days that I'm not bleeding, and on those days, I'm afraid to have sex because I'm afraid I'll start bleeding again!

Everyone has to make the decision that is right for them. I know now that this is the only choice for me. Am I scared? Heck, yes!! But I'm trying to look forward to next summer when I can actually wear a bathing suit for the first time in a few years, and go swimming with my son! I'll have my life back!
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakfarmer View Post
I've been reading the threads and am glad to see so much support and advice here. I have had fibroids for many years. In my early 20s they became a little dramatic - I had severe bleeding, blood transfusions, crippling pain, lots of painkillers, a DVT, rounds of blood thinners - anemia, fatigue, pain. At the time I was told hysterectomy was my only choice but, in a big hospital with no insurance, I didn't exactly feel like I was getting personalized care. I was diagnosed with 'innumerable' fibroids, some very large, and a 24 wk uterus.

I found other options and used them. I had Luron injections, which helped for a while. When they enlarged again I had UAE when it was still quite new. It was successful and I enjoyed many years of normal, pain free periods.

But. If you're here, you probably know how it goes. I'm now 36, and they came back, huger than ever. The docs at first recommended another UAE but after the MRI they thought the rate of growth was troubling, and might be masking cancer.

My only hesitation is about my symptoms. I wouldn't say it's a walk in the park or anything - heavy bleeding, bad pain, constant back pain, discomfort and pressure from the big old mass of gunk in my insides - but it's NOTHING like it was before. I was dying the first time I sought treatment. Now I'm just in pain and a little tired. It makes it seem less cut and dried.

Of course, this is how the bad symptoms started before - my period is just a little heavier and longer every single month. I do NOT want to go through any of that again.

But I'm having a really hard emotional time letting go. My fiance and I tried and failed to have a baby, and I think that's ok with us, but this is just so final. And my uterus. I fought so hard to keep it. It feels like such a major part of me (and hey, right now it IS taking up enough space for several, lesser organs!). I don't think I'd feel like this about my tonsils or even a kidney. I'm out of other options, and I feel like I can't take the chance living with this, hoping it's not cancer, hoping they don't get bigger, hoping I don't get more DVTS or endure more transfusions. I HOPE my quality of life after this will be better, but I'm afraid. The internet does not help, btw.

This got so long, sorry. Hopefully one of you has been through this and will be able to understand. Thanks for being here.
Hi,

This was one of the hardest decisions I've made but I was in the same boat as you. I knew my quality of life was not going to improve (however I was not planning on having anymore children) so I decided to have the hysterectomy after looking at all my options. Once my dr was in, he saw endometriosis that was pretty bad and cleaned it all up. I also had adenomyosis and fibroids. I had the perfect storm for horrible periods and a lifestyle that was very complex. I lost almost a week to two weeks of my life every month because of the pain, heavy bleeding, and then recovery from blood loss. I am glad I had the surgery, It was the best decision I ever made. I will be 4 weeks post op (kept my ovaries and tubes) and no period. It's great.

If you want to have kids why not talk to your surgeon and have your eggs harvested?
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie0613 View Post
I had a myomectomy 10 years ago and the fibroids came back. My doctor said that waiting it out until menopause was an option (I'm 49) and it's a good strategy for smaller fibroids. Unfortunately, she said that mine are so big that while they would definitely shrink, they would never go away and then you start to run into problems with them causing bleeding after menopause and there would be no way to know whether the bleeding was due to the fibroids or cancer. And since bleeding after menopause is an abnormal sign, I might end up having a lot of procedures to ascertain it wasn't cancer. We also talked about Lupron (would shrink but not go away).

What really 'sold' me on doing the hysterectomy is she said that the biggest comment she hears from her patients after performing a hysterectomy is "I feel so great, I wish I had done this years ago."

I agree - stuff on the internet is very scary. I was feeling particularly down about it one day and ran across a huge thread on another big forum (QVC) when the OP asked for positive stories about having a hysterectomy. There were pages and pages of women who all said they it was the best thing they had ever done and they never felt better in their life. That's when I realized that everyone's experience is different. I know not everyone has such a positive outcome. There are risks with each and everything we do. For example, for all the hoopla and supposed safety with Botox, there are prominent websites where half the posters detail very bad experiences. You always have to weigh the risks vs the possible benefits when you make any body-altering decision.
My situation is an almost exact copy of yours... a myo 11 years ago yielded an 8-inch fibroid. I was fine for the last 10 years, and now I have a 20-week uterus with numerous big and small fibroids. I can't stand my quality of life anymore. I am already "sick" and my uterus isn't helping me any. I figure it's time to cast it out. Sure, I'm nervous and scared, but I've been suffering too long. I'll have to close my eyes and say my hail marys and take the chance.

All my best to all my sisters here who're in the same boat -- {{{hugs}}}

And a heartfelt thank you to all the ones who've been through it and have come here to bolster our spines. Thank you!!
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM

prayers and light for tomorrow indrani

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register