oh boy...6 days post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

oh boy...6 days post op oh boy...6 days post op

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Re: oh boy...6 days post op

Lol scared... Yup im doin the same thing... Ow ow ow! Until it passes and cant help but try to get away from my bowel (back up lol). Ive had these gas pains before with previous surgeries (c sections, hernia repair, gall bladder removal) but they were localized mostly up between my shoulder blades.. Still brutal tho omg! Ive always been hyper-sensitive when it comes to girlie stuff (pap tests etc) the pain is always so bad.. Yet i can have hernia repair and have sex that same night lol. Im tough in all other areas but this one.. Im a wimp *sigh*. Its gettin better... Tears come to my eyes but at least im not screaming out so much.. Prob cuz the gas isnt as bad.. Its getting less and less.. Hopefully it stays that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Feeling your pains - literally. Was thrilled when the gas pains stopped around day 5. Had first "real" BM today - day 9. Shooting a tennis ball out of a garden hose sums it up well! I am feeling really good now! Turned down broccoli soup yesterday out of fear that the gas would return :0)
Unread 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberkitten42 View Post
hi everyone. Just wanted to give a quick thank u to all who replied. Today is a little better altho when i had a BM this morning i darn near passed out from the pain. I can't help but envision a tennis ball shooting throw a garden hose..that's kinda the feeling i have..a huge gas bubble or bm moving through the tract. Man this is brutal! Not nearly as bad as yesterday tho. I literally spent yesterday on my hands/knees in my bed watching tv lol I've been overdosing on the Oval tablets (only supposed to have 3 daily but i'm up to 5)..i'm trying to not take any more than that.
The doc gave me different meds yesterday. I didn't see or get to talk to her but i spoke to the receptionist who called the doc at the hosp and the doc called in a prescription to the pharmacy for me. I'm taking Naproxen but because it's an NSAID (and i can't take those orally) i'm taking them rectally...every 12 hrs. It's supposed to help with inflammation. This is what she wanted me to go home with...that and Tylenol but since it was another doctor that discharged me, he changed the meds (not sure why) Anyway, the Tylenol 3's i went home with was just compounding my bloating and gas issue..hopefully this Naproxen will help..it's been almost 24 hrs on this stuff now so we'll see...
I went to the hosp this morning to have my staples removed..all looks good there. Incision is slightly pink at one end but nothing to be concerned about at this point..i'll keep an eye out. Wow, the bruising is incredible tho! Didn't notice how bruised it was until i got under those bright lights!
Anyway..i'm feelin great today...FORCING myself to not overdo it. I know how easily that can happen for me. I HATE sitting around doing nothing..i have anxiety so this drives me batty. I'm constantly fighting the urge to jump up and do something..ughhh! Gonna be a LONNNNNNG 8 weeks!
Anyway...thx again for your replies guys...its comforting to know i'm not alone..and i even got a chuckle out of some of em lol ))))
Hope u're all healing well!

Lisa

Hi yes the gas pains are horrendous!!---- Are you sure you don't have hemorroids compounding the pain at the rectum??-- I had a TAH on NOV 8. I did not have any vaginal bleeding whatsoever, so it is typical with our procedure but vaginal bleeding can happen; as long as, it is not bright red, excessive and painful, then we should be fine. I took lots of Milk of Magnesiun for the constipation and gas pain ( although it is more of a laxative verses stool softener). Also, I drink plenty of fluids and walk a little. It's great that your incision is not so painful; mines are still sore/tender

I hope you continue your iron pills or you eat very well to build up your blood level because it is a part of your healing process. Possibly your healing could be delayed if you remain markedly anemic!--- Sounds like you are on the road to a good recovery!! much blessings!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes - can relate so much to what you've said!

The gas pains for me were worse than the surgical pain, and lasted about 2 1/2 weeks.
Mind you, I didn't help matters because I ate broccoli, cabbage, etc.

It will pass - literally. Everything is so much more bearable once the gas ceases to be a problem.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM

BIG update.. Pls read!

Hey ladies.. Just thought id share with u...

I decided yesterday to go to the hospital tp have myself checked out. The pain i was feeling was just too intense and wasnt getting any better.. In fact it was getting worse. When my husband came home from work to check on me he found me on the bed on all fours.. Crying. Crying ISNT something i do.. No matter what im going thru so that alerted him right away that this had to be more serious than just *gas*

Well.. Here i am now back in the hospital :-(. They did a CT scan last night and found an abscess near the cervical stump. Its not huge at this point so the doc feels that a good 48 hrs on IV antibiotics *should* take care of it. If it doesnt tho, shell need to go in and drain it. In the meantime i cant eat/drink anything in case it DOES rupture on its own which would force me back into surgery immediately :-(

Just wanted to reinforce that having things checked out isnt a bad idea. Im the worst for *sucking it up* and suffering thru the pain.. If it hadnt been for hubby being adamant that he was bringing me in .. I dont know what would have happened other than the abscess would have eventually ruptured which would have put my life at risk :-(
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Cyberkitten42
Oh my goodness! I'm glad your husband forced you to have it checked out. Will keep you in my thoughts and send good vibes for a surgery free recovery.

Hugs
Connie
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberkitten42 View Post
omg...i have questions...can't seem to find the answers here anywhere and i'm desperate.
I'm in AGONY
My surg was last thursday. I should add that it was done via abdominal incision (which is HUGE! 23 staples! wasn't expecting that) I had everything removed except the ovaries. I had an epidural so for the first 24 hrs post op i wasn't out of bed at all..my legs were still numb. On day 2 i started getting out of bed and moving around a bit. 48 hrs after the surgery i was discharged from hospital. I had a bowel movement that morning..was eating well (no vomiting)..no extreme pain. I was sent home with Tylenol 3's for pain to be taken every 6 hrs.
Once home i took it very easy..didn't do much at all. Everything was going well...still eating..altho now i was getting more tender in the surgical area..more pain moving around. I found myself taking the tylenol every 4 hrs instead of 6..this seemed to help
Since the surgery i had been dealing with intense gas pains..the nurses at the hospital said this was because of the gas they put in to inflate the belly during surgery. Plus i'm sure the Tylenol 3's didn't help..they're constipating (and to make matters worse they discovered my Iron was critically low so i was sent home with a prescription for iron tablets which i did take daily but stopped 2 days ago because they're also very constipating and i didn't need anything else aggravating my situation) As each day went on..this gas got worse. Then yesterday out of the blue i started having intense pain in my bowels. I could feel a wave of gas move through which caused a cramp...when that gas hit my rectum i was almost in tears from the pain. Once it passed out the pain was gone...until the next wave.
WTH is this?? it's been over 24 hrs of dealing with this gas. The swelling in my abdomen HAS come down a little but i'm still swollen. I'm not passing as much gas but omg when i do i just want to die. I can feel every wave and contraction through my bowels but the worse part is when it hits the rectum and forces it's way out..the cramping is unbelieveable. I'm taking oval chewable tablets 3 times/day as per instructions. I'm now taking Senokot stool softeners 2 times/day. I had a bowel movement on tuesday and after starting a regular dosage of the oval and senokot yesterday i had a huge BM this morning. I'm not constipated..the BM was formed and soft...but there was alot of it. Sorry this really is wayyyy TMI It was normal in color but ended up dark green (from the iron tablets i was taking) So now i'm sitting here waiting for the next wave of gas to pass through me (which hasn't since my BM an hour ago)
Is this normal???? I should add that physically i AM feeling better..the incisional area isn't so tender and i'm moving around with less pain..in fact i can honestly say i'm starting to feel great. I've switched to Tylenol 1's (started that very early this morning) I feel great other than this gas.
Also...i haven't bled a single drop since the surgery..not even a colored discharge. Is this normal? Everywhere i've read says to expect spotting, bleeding or discharge. I've had ZILCH...not even in the hospital right afterwards. Is something wrong?
I can relate to the gas pressure, I felt the same way, my Dr sent me home with prescribed stool softner, I was taking it as directed but it was still painful. I was also on pain pills and iron pills. I am now 4wks post op, I no longer have the gas pain or cramps but I am still taking the stool softner because I am still taking the iron pill.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register