Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Unread 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

I am having daily nausea, low level headaches, night sweats, hot flashes, cold flashes, trouble staying asleep. I am 10 weeks post op today. I was prescribed 0.1 Vivelle dot. I am so afraid of taking it. Do the benefits out weigh the risks? I am afraid of blood clots and cancer. I am getting pretty miserable and I have come so close to just sticking one of these dots on to see what happens. I have been taking Ibuprofen and this helps with the headache, but I will be going back to work soon. I have to get sleep. Can anyone on this please ease my mind about trying it? Am I being irrational? please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Re: Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

I am one of many women who have been using estrogen for years. The symptoms you're having are probably going to get worse. If you really start to do some reading and research, you'll discover that there are probably more risks in NOT using estrogen replacement than in using it. For me, feeling dried out, uninterested in sex, depressed, foggy headed, sleep deprived, anxiety ridden, and like a 90 year old woman are not worth it!

I had been using estrogen for years when I started reading all of the horrible health scares attributed to using it. I decided to do a trial without it. I felt so bad I came running back. There are so many options for replacement now. If one doesn't suit you, there are many more to try. I do feel that a transdermal method, such as the patch, are one of the best options. It is the least problematic for the liver.

You haven't got anything to lose. Put the patch on. Clean your skin well and wipe it with alcohol first. Give yourself a day or two and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised. If you're not, you can always take the patch off. I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM

E2Me2, I just put the patch on for the first time a few minutes ago! I am going to try it and see. I am so tired of my Nausea and Headache all day long. These hot flashes are enough to drive me nut! Makes concentrating difficult when all you can think about is air conditioning. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for responding. I used to ask my mother all these questions. She had a hysterectomy many years ago at the age of 29. She recently passed away this year. I have no one else in my family that has had a hysterectomy. I am so thankful for hystersisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 04:52 AM

Me too! Fingers crossed for you!
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:37 PM

I had my complete hyst with both ovaries removed 17 months ago. I was put on the patch in the recovery room. I have tried going without the patch for a couple of months as I was afraid of the risk of cancer. However within the third day of being off my patches I started having hotflashes and after a week off of it I had one hotflash after the other, insomnia, every joint in my body hurt so bad, a terrible headache, feeling really down, no interest at all in any kind of intimate contact with my hubby(not even kissing). I did a lot of research about using BHRT and realized that the vivelle dot more beneficial to me. Plus I had had all I could take. So I put my patch back on and have worn it since. I use the .075 and have to change it every 3 days instead of the 3 1/2 days. But it works great. I still do have some problems with insomnia but not nearly as bad as I did when I did not use the patch.
For me the good the patches do far outweigh any of the negatives.
Good Luck and I hope you are feeling better.
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks! I wore the patch all day today. I took a shower and it stayed on. I went Christmas shopping by myself today, and I noticed that when I was out by myself, I was pretty emotional. I was crying in the greeting card aisle when I read the cards. Overall my mood was fairly upbeat, however. My headaches were better than they were and I was able to eat without getting sick. I still had a few hot flashes. I slept in this morning so I am up late tonight. I am still leery of using the dot, but I will see how I do tomorrow, Day 2. Thank you all for responding I really appreciate it.
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:36 AM

Yeah!!!!
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM

I have also started using the dot .
.0375 I have not had any issues. I am emotional as well.. Trust me I am not a cryer !!
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:29 PM

sistershell,
I am only two weeks postop and had committed to "go naturally" as I am nearly 55 (although still having periods). I started having the symptoms you describe two days after surgery and decided to hang tough. By day 7, wasnt sleeping at all and the weird crying started. Still, I hung on. Day 10, I ended up in the ER with a severe migraine, vomiting, uncontrolled shaking and weeping. They slapped a patch on me - I would have done anything in that moment. It is now four days later and I will never take this thing off. Not sure if I have the right dosage and all that at the moment - but wow. Headache gone. Constant nausea gone. Joints aching gone. Sadness and crying gone. Itchy skin gone. I slept through the night last night until 7:30 this morning - the longest I have slept in well over two years. Risks? Maybe, but there are benefits too, and quality of life is a big one. I wish I hadnt tried to be so tough and had complained sooner.

My patch relief took about three days to kick in......best of luck.
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM

I have been on the dot .0375 .. On my second patch !! No more headaches or nauseated feeling.. Did notice my breast were a little tender for a few days but nothing else..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register