Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Re: Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

I've been on the lowest dose Vivelle Dot for 3 weeks and it has helped me regain my sanity. I noticed an improvment in my mood swings and hot flashes within 24 hours of putting on the first patch. I'm still having some hot flashes at night interrupting my sleep and will be asking my doctor if I need an increased dose to knock those hot flashes out completely. I weighed the risks vs. the benefits and like you was hesitant to start HRT but I am so glad now that I did. I felt like I was losing my mind, had aged 10 years in the 3 weeks after my surgery and could not sleep. I'm feeling more like my normal self again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Are you on the .25 dot?? arryswoman;3634674]I've been on the lowest dose Vivelle Dot for 3 weeks and it has helped me regain my sanity. I noticed an improvment in my mood swings and hot flashes within 24 hours of putting on the first patch. I'm still having some hot flashes at night interrupting my sleep and will be asking my doctor if I need an increased dose to knock those hot flashes out completely. I weighed the risks vs. the benefits and like you was hesitant to start HRT but I am so glad now that I did. I felt like I was losing my mind, had aged 10 years in the 3 weeks after my surgery and could not sleep. I'm feeling more like my normal self again.[/quote]
Unread 12-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Superitalian - yes, I'm on the .025 dosage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:39 AM
Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

I on .0375 it is working fine with me.
I have had no adverse effects on this dose. I was also given the .075 just in case this one is not enough. I will be putting on my 3 rd patch today.
harryswoman;3634711]Superitalian - yes, I'm on the .025 dosage.[/quote]
Unread 12-11-2011, 10:56 PM

Hi Superitalian,

Fyi, it sometimes takes time to get the dosage balance right. I started off at .25 Vivelle Dot (Estradot in Canada) but had to go up to .75 because the low dose was just not doing the trick. And I added testoterone, "vitamin T" as I call it, to deal with energy, libido, etc. I too experienced some weird breast pain, occasional dizziness, but it eventually went away. I truthfully cannot function without HRT and I encourage you not to be scared or ashamed of using it.

Regarding cancer-I am actually a survivor...but to me the benefits and improved quality of life outweigh any concerns. So instead I am trying to focus on eating better, cutting the junk out of my diet, exercising and losing weight. And I need the HRT to help me do this and live the life I want.

Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you!

Unread 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi Sistershell- I have the same concerns. I've read so much about HRT vs No HRT that now the information seems contradictory. My doctor and I talked about my starting on a low dose, but nothing was ordered before I left the hospital. After a few days I called and the ARNP called in the vivelle dot .1 But I haven't taken it yet. After I paid $74 for the patch I saw where there are at least three smaller doses. But some people say that .1 mg is a small dose. Kinda feel like a deer caught in the headlights. I would like to just trust the doctor, but have had some experiences that have made that harder. Best wishes to you as you make a decision. I'd be interested in what you decide.
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM

Hi ladies! I have been using the the V-dot now for almost 2 months! The only side effect I have experienced is that I am gaining weight! Now, I cannot say that I would not have gained the weight had I not started on the patch, but that is just what I have noticed in the past almost 2 months. I am sleeping so good, and no more hot flashes, no headaches, no nausea. I feel like my old self really! I am taking 0.1 and changing it every three days. I still have concerns about health risks, but if you are miserable with the life you have, then you have to change it somehow. That is my personal thought on that. I hope I don't regret my decision down the road, but right now it is working for me. Thanks for all the responses, and I hope all of you find what is right for you as we are all ladies, but we are all individuals and what works for me might not work for you.
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM

My doctor slapped a .5 patch (generic estradiol) in the hospital. She said the symptoms of sudden surgical menopause can be horrible and it's better to start on HRT and gradually taper off. She upped my patch to .1mg at my 1 week post-op. Other than an occasional headache and having a problem with a delayed sleep cycle, I feel better than I have in years.

If you weren't already in menopause at the time of your surgery, your body would have been making estrogen for x number of years anyway. The further you were from menopause, the more important it is to replace the estrogen until the natural age of menopause (avg age 51) to minimize health problems. Also, keep in mind that the risk of breast cancer was not seen in women who were taking estrogen only. It was only in the women taking estrogen plus progestin.

I'm not overly worried about taking estrogen for the next few years (I'm 49) even though my mother took HRT for 15 plus years and developed estrogen positive breast cancer at age 65 (early stage 1 lumpectomy). She was the one who pointed out to me that I was still having regular cycles and would have had natural estrogen anyway.

Studies will be out in the next year or two about the effects of younger women taking estrogen. Hopefully we will have a clearer understanding of the risks at that time.
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:08 PM

I too was very scared to add any type of estrogen back to my body due to my situation. I started 0.1 mg of vivelle dot and I can tell you it has made a huge difference for me. I started with 2 patches per week and increased to 3 patches per week. A few weeks ago I started testosterone compound cream to help with mood swings, fatigue. I addressed the same concerns with my doctor and was told that it was safe and to apply the patch to the abdomen area or buttocks and to not put it by the "girls". I hope this helps....
Unread 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Hello: I tried my Vivelle dot yesterday. I took the .1 patch and cut it in quarters. I slept peacefully for the first time last night. I felt good for the first time in I don't know how long. The aches and pains, and headache that I'd had for weeks had went away. So I pretty much skipped to work and then at close to the end of the day, I notice the back, hip, leg, headache pains are back! Now I know in part at least the sore tummy is because I've not adjusted to my full 10hr days, and I didn't take even ibuprofen with me cuz I felt so good. But, I went into the bathroom and felt for the patch and it was gone. Couldn't find it in my clothes, so I have to tell you- I can not wait to get home to put another quarter patch on. My only stop will be for some band aids to prevent the patch from falling off again. I know its early, but I felt really good while that patch was on. So at least for now, I'm going to give the patch a try.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register