Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Unread 02-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Re: Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Hi Everyone! I started the patch right after surgery. With it on, my hot flashes were causing me severe nausea (and headaches, but they seemed to go away, while the nausea didn't). He increased the patch dosage, but it didn't seem to help AT ALL. He took me off the patch for awhile and put me on progesterine. Since I have been on it, the hot flashes have "almost" seemed to have stopped. The nausea has gone away completely. My Dr. wants me to go back on the patch eventually, so I hope when that day comes, I don't get a repeat of symptoms!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Some helpful hints use alcahol anc wipe.area.clean. Then apply and hold for a few min. And I do think putting it on the rear helps. Not really.sure why. Since.the is more fat back there. I change mine sooner. 3days . I have been told its safer since it does mot.pass through.the liver. I use vivelle..1
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM

I just put my first patch on a few minutes ago. .05 Nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Dont be nervous alow it to work about 4 -6 weeks do you have ovaries? 5 was not enough and you will know around then there is alist of too lil to much hrt on this site but I think you will be fine
Unread 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM

I too was scared to go on the hormones, but was worried about osteoporosis and other symptoms that could occur if I didn't. I started the Vivelle dot .1mg day one of my hyster. I was having a lot of emotional issues the first couple of weeks and after my two week post-op the doc recommended using two patches for a while. He said if my breasts get really tender that's an indication that I need to reduce back down to 1 or 1 and 1/2. Since I've upped the dosage, I have felt so much better!!! I take a bath daily (docs orders) and have been taking walks each day...they stay on perfectly! The other thing I noticed is that the location of the patch seemed to make a difference. I started putting them on my hips/upper outer thigh and just changed sides each time I changed them (twice a week), because that's wear the nurse stuck it the first day and I didn't know any different. After reading some posts on this site, I tried changing the location to my right below my waist line (pretty close to wear the incisions are) and it seems to be better. Of course, I'm still pretty new out of surgery (3 weeks) so many of my emotional issues had to do with just dealing with the surgery...but so far so good for the estrogen! :-)

Good luck!!!
Unread 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Scared of starting the Vivelle Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnie123 View Post
Dont be nervous alow it to work about 4 -6 weeks do you have ovaries? 5 was not enough and you will know around then there is alist of too lil to much hrt on this site but I think you will be fine
No ovaries. I had radiation last summer and they were fried anyway. Before hysterectomy I was on Effexor. An antidepressant that takes away hot flashes. I was put on that from my regular gyn. My gyn oncology doctor wanted me on hormones. So trying it.
Unread 02-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Hi Ladies, almost 3 months now and I feel so good. My mood is so upbeat. I feel so much better than I have before in my life!! I know that is a huge statement, but it is true. I am able to deal with everyday things, like stress on my job, kids growing up, and things that need to be done daily around the house so much better than I ever have. I really don't know how to explain it. I just don't let things bother me like I did before. I try to do the best I can on my job and in my home life, and know that tomorrow is another day. I see humor in my job and am able to laugh more at myself and everyday challenges. I don't have the ups and down in mood swings and stay nervous like I used to. I think I have experienced a miracle. As far as the weight gain, it has leveled off and, overall I have gained about 5 pounds. I am working on losing that by watching what I eat and getting in a little more exercise throughout the day. I hope all of you who are thinking about HRT, and decide to give it a try, have a positive experience as well. I am still on the same dose that I started out with, and change it every 3 days. If I ever do happen to notice any negative side effects, I will definitely let you know. Take care!!
Unread 03-09-2012, 03:09 PM

I will start the patch tomorrow .5. All your comments were interesting. Thank you, i was on prempro for three months before my hysterectomy and it made a huge difference in my life. Hope now just the estrogen continues quality of life
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harks2j View Post
I will start the patch tomorrow .5. All your comments were interesting. Thank you, i was on prempro for three months before my hysterectomy and it made a huge difference in my life. Hope now just the estrogen continues quality of life
Update to my 12-07-11 post: I continue to do well on the dot at .25. No more hot flashes and I'm sleeping better. The only side effect I've experienced is some breast soreness that I can live with. I've also recently started the Premarin cream to relieve vaginal dryness. That has helped with that problem a lot, has made sex much more comfortable and no side effects so far. I'm feeling pretty much like my old self other than still having the swelly belly that just doesn't want to go away. I think you will find that the dot will help improve your quality of life too. I would be miserable without it.
Unread 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM

Hi I just started the patch yesterday and omg I can already feel the difference. Thank God. But reading some posts I am worried of weight gain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register