Smelly discharge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Smelly discharge Smelly discharge

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:14 AM
Smelly discharge

I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op...I am still having light red/pink discharge and the smell is terrible...smells like I have worn the same pad for 3 weeks! I have read that it is normal, but somehow it doesn't seem normal. Guess I am just looking for some reassurance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Re: Smelly discharge

If the odor is strong and fishy smelly make an appt with the doctor. But smell is normal. You have stitches inside dissolving and breaking down. They produce an awful smell. One day you will wake up and the discharge and smell will be gone. Just stay clean and dry down there. :-)
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:18 AM

Yes the smell is normal, however if it is so bad consult your dr. I had a really bad smell and developed an infection that sent me back in the OR to drain a collection of fluid ugh!!!! After that the smell went away. A fever was the first symptom I had. Iam 4 wks post op and no smell but I do still have a pinkish tinge discharge. I also know the stitches smell when they dissolve. Good luck and remember when in doubt call ur dr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melicious09 View Post
I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op...I am still having light red/pink discharge and the smell is terrible...smells like I have worn the same pad for 3 weeks! I have read that it is normal, but somehow it doesn't seem normal. Guess I am just looking for some reassurance?
On my 2.5 week appt, I was concerned about the bleeding I was having. Dr called it a discharge, and he was not concerned at all.
He did say that there was no odor, and that was a good thing.
I was having a low grade fever also.

Apparently, if there is an infection there can be an odor.
So, you might need to make a phone call to your Dr office, and tell them what your concerns are.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:28 AM

You should call your gyn just to be sure.

I had the same kind of smell and was treated for a vaginal infection (not surgical). No fever with the vaginosis.
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:43 AM

I would call the doctor just to be sure.

I didn't had a bad odor, just a slight "different" odor. Mine was NEVER foul smelling or repulsive.
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM

IHi all, I'm 10 days post op TAH and today I have a slight brown really foul discharge .. I'm hoping it's just stitches but I'm gonna call my gun in the am because there was some fluid around my induction when she removed the staples-- I'm worried so wish me luck
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:43 AM

I am a little worried too, guess I will need to call my dr when I get back from vacation. I have been having discharge that smells awful to me and i feel like i smell gross all day even though i change my liner. I also was not sure if it was normal or not. no fever but sounds like not normal. Thanks
Unread 03-17-2012, 07:36 AM

follow up-- I called my gyn yesterday she called in a prescription of antibiotics for 7 days-- said it sounded like bacterial vahinosis.. I've taken 2 pills and the smell is going away and so I'd the pressure when urinating.. I feel so much better and smell so much cleaner!😄

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register