OK I am dumb. Bio-identicals v herbals? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK I am dumb.  Bio-identicals v herbals? OK I am dumb. Bio-identicals v herbals?

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:43 AM
OK I am dumb. Bio-identicals v herbals?

I understand and support the argument against synthetic hormones. I do not understand the difference between herbal remedies that have phytoestrogens (sp?) and progesterones found naturally in plants and herbs - and a compounded bio-identical. The bio-identical I thought, is compounded based on a formula for a specific individual -but iis it medically different on our bodies than an herbal? If you cannot take synthetic hormones, can you take the bio-identicals safely?

Is there some point in the future when we dont need all this?

I am nearly 55, but the hot flashes and night sweats and insomnia cranked up day two after surgery and something is going to be necessary!

Sorry to be so dumb. The hype online makes it difficult to get to the facts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Re: OK I am dumb. Bio-identicals v herbals?

I don't know the answer to this, but wanted to say, this is an excellent question... not dumb at all. There's a couple ladies here who seem to have researched this and are "experts", hopefully they can supply some good answers for both of us!

I'm on an herbal regimen now that is working VERY well for me but wondering if the bio-I would be better?
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SozoSister View Post
I don't know the answer to this, but wanted to say, this is an excellent question... not dumb at all. There's a couple ladies here who seem to have researched this and are "experts", hopefully they can supply some good answers for both of us!

I'm on an herbal regimen now that is working VERY well for me but wondering if the bio-I would be better?
Thank you and I would love to hear what is working for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 07:02 AM

KC, I'm taking a good multi-vite with iron, calcium, and extra vitamin D (everyone should get their D tested, it's a common problem these days!)

I'm also taking black cohosh and evening primrose once a day (I was doing twice, but backed off to once and I'm fine) and progesterone cream from the HF store once a day as well. (I rub the stuff on elbows and knees, because my skin is drier all over now and it helps a lot!)

When I was in the castle my doc said, "it'll never work, you'll call and beg for hormones." When I saw him yesterday and told him how I was doing, he was like, "Um. Wow. Well if it works.."
Unread 12-01-2011, 09:42 AM

Bioidentical hormones/bioidentical hormone replacement are the same exact molecules our ovaries made. If you could get down to the level of seeing individual molecules, you could not tell the difference between, for example, an estradiol molecule your ovaries made and one in Estrace or the Vivelle-dot patch. Phytoestrogens are not bioidentical unless you are a plant. They can exert a weak estrogenic effect on humans because they *almost* fit our estrogen receptors... think of it as a lock and keys. Even though many keys can be pushed at least part way into a lock, only the right key will go in easily and turn to open the door.

Progesterone is a little more confusing. Plants do not contain any actual progesterone. Plants such as soy and wild yam contain molecules like diosgenin which can be made into progesterone. Our bodies do not have the capability to make the conversion, but it is possible to make it in a lab or factory. Progesterone does not require a prescription (yet - that could change) so it is available OTC in creams or compounded in many dosage forms. So-called "wild yam" creams, if they do not contain any USP progesterone, will not provide any symptom relief except to the extent that the skin finds their base ingredients soothing.

JMHO, but my body has menopausal symptoms because it lacks the ability to make its own estradiol, not because it has a shortage of black cohosh.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

I have been finding that eating a yam helps me with night sweats and such. I know it is very high in fiber, but is this any different than a wild yam? Where do I find that in the grocery store?
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:56 AM

You don't. Mexican wild yams, the ones that progesterone is made from, don't grow a root vegetable the way the yams in the grocery stores do. They have a rhizome that is used in Chinese herbal remedies, so you might be able to find them in an Eastern medicine office/herb shop. Do you have a lab at home in which you can convert that to progesterone?

It's easier and cheaper to just buy OTC progesterone cream.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM

no lab. I thought with yams you could benefit not just from the fiber intake but from the other benefits related to menopause relief.
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:02 AM

Nope... sorry. Though there's always the "placebo effect" - ie if you think it helps, it helps.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register