To keep my cervix or not to keep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep my cervix or not to keep? To keep my cervix or not to keep?

Unread 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
To keep my cervix or not to keep?

As I'm reading more and more about what to keep and what not to keep I'm wondering if it's a good idea to not keep my cervix? I was hoping to keep my ovaries and cervix but I'm reading my fibroids could develop in my cervix if I keep it later on. Also, any one experiencing periods after a hyserectomy due to still having a cervix? And BTW--to be blunt about it--I'm really liking sex now and don't want to give up that feeling too Any suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Re: To keep my cervix or not to keep?

Most women never know its gone! If you have endo i say take it out. If you are just a bad bleeder leave it and if they take the uterus its impossible to have a period because the lining is gone. What else are you going through to have the hyster?
Unread 12-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Due to some large fibroids I'm having my uterus removed. Them heavy periods are playing havoc on my life. But I just don't want the fix to be worse than the problem.... I'm anxious about my hormone changes if they take my ovaries. I really like my personality now and don't want to mess that up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I went through agony deciding on this one. I finally decided yesterday and told my doc to yank it (cervix) when I have my surgery. The benefits I found of keeping it didn't seem to be fully backed by research, and the risks are there. I don't want any more bleeding. I never want another pap smear. I can't even imagine going through cervical cancer after the hell of this process. So yeah - yanking. Keeping the ovaries, though. Even with the cyst. She's going to do a cystectomy and I'm fine with that.

It was a hard choice and required TONS of reading and research for me to settle my mind on it. It's a highly personal choice. Just make sure you read everything you can find, here and elsewhere, so that when you make your choice you know it was the right choice for you.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:40 PM

I wanted to keep my cervix. Told my Dr I wanted a LSH and wanted to keep my cervix....I really wanted to keep that cervix, can you tell? Lol.

When I woke up from surgery, I ended up with a TAH. Cervix was gone!

I'm 5 weeks post op now....and to be honest...I really can't tell that my cervix is gone....I really don't miss it. And I'm actually kinda glad it's gone.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM

In the end you will be sooooo stress free! Its amazing at how much better you will feel. I swear i cant belive how much stress having a period and the thought of accidental preggers has on a womans life
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Hi Mary Jo! I had a SAH on Nov. 8th. I kept my cervix and both ovaries, I am glad I made my decision. My doctor told me he was leaving in everything that was healthy unless I wanted him to take my cervix. My hyster was due to fibriods as well, and I read about them growing on the cervix, but I think that is very, very rare. But you should ask your doctor. By the way my doctor told me that I will not be having anymore periods, just have to continue to have yearly papsmears. My advice to you is to pray about it and do not make a rash decision and definitely don't make a choice out of fear. It doesn't make sense to have a normal body organ removed (in my opinion) due to fear of catching a disease, because if that is the case we should get all of our organs removed, they all have the capacity of becoming abnormal. BTW, I understand that leaving the cervix helps with sexual pleasure, of course I don't know yet just reached my 3 wk mark in recovery....lol I wish you a successful surgery and remember pray and talk to your doctor. Take Care!
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM

Bubbles, reading your posts helped put my mind at rest a bit 'cos I decided to leave my cervix and ovaries in. They seem normal and I don't wanna yank 'em out if they're functioning well. I promised my doctor that I will get yearly pap tests (have never had an abnormal one yet) and will keep an eye on my ovaries.

Mary Jo {{{hugs}}}... I'm having my hyst on Dec 6. Let's make a joint pact to be brave and okay
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Hello ladies,
I had tah 11/10. I decided to keep my cervix. Everything else gone! I had my dr. Check my cervix before and during surgery. No issues. She explained to me that the cervix has several nerves that sometimes make the pain of recovery a little rougher. I had mine coturized to keep from any bleeding post op. I will have pap test which is fine . It just made me feel better to keep it. Almost 4 weeks out doing very well only thing the fatigue is still pretty bad.
Good luck with any choice you make!
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Idg, I am glad u were able to make a decision. And since you never had an abnormal pap test, I think you are correct in keeping your cevix. I wish you a successful surgery and healthy recovery. You will be fine, the hardest part is the waiting! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register