To keep my cervix or not to keep? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To keep my cervix or not to keep? To keep my cervix or not to keep?

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Re: To keep my cervix or not to keep?

SuperItalian, my doc said the same thing about recovery being alot easier when cervix is kept. Hope you are recovering well! (I get tired easily too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles73 View Post
Idg, I am glad u were able to make a decision. And since you never had an abnormal pap test, I think you are correct in keeping your cevix. I wish you a successful surgery and healthy recovery. You will be fine, the hardest part is the waiting! You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
Thanks so much Bubbles... I'm holding on. Just one more day!
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM

Hey ladies... i just spoke with my doc and she said that in my case keeping the cervix has more benefit.... Def talk with your Dr. Even if its the day before like me... they are here to help us... IDG best to you and hope to see you on the post op boards feeling great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 03:07 PM

I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago, I thought at the time everything would be removed but upon waking up my dr informed me that he left the cervix as it was healthy and would serve as good support being natural for the vaginal floor rather than making a cuff. Natural is the best thing if it don't need to be removed. I have never had a period since the surgery..I have never felt better, I would leave it up to the dr and am sure he will be able to tell if its healthy enough to leave, I still have to get paps cause of having my cervix, but all is good.. hope all works out well for u.
Unread 12-07-2011, 02:21 AM

Wow, So glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I really want to keep my cervix. No history of abnormal paps, and no risk for HPV. My doc usually takes the cervix & would like to take mine out too but it is healthy.
I'm so afraid of what this hysterectomy will change in 'the bedroom'. I know that I will be losing the uterine orgasms. No uterus=no uterine "O's". That makes me so sad. I'm afraid that if my doc takes the cervix, it will affect the vaginal ones as well. Also, I read that removal of the cervix shortens the length of the vagina. That would be a HUGE problem for us.
My husband loves me & assures me that it will be ok, and that we will work it out even if it isn't the same. But I'm still afraid. We bond physically at least once a day. Everybody says that 'bedroom stuff' isn't everything and they are right. But is very important to me. I could just cry over all of this.
I don't mean to be whiny about this. I know that others are struggling with more serious stuff. I just feel so lost right now.
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:09 PM

BlueHobbit, don't worry, everything will work itself out. Sex isn't everything, but it is very important in a loving marriage, which it seems you are Blessed to have. I know you stated that your doc usually takes the cervix, but this is your body not his or hers. Express your concerns to your doc and tell him/her that you prefer to keep your cervix, a GOOD doctor will respect your wishes unless your request jeopardizes your health. Sounds like you have a wonderful husband who supports you, try not to worry, and be honest with your doctor. I wish you all the best! I pray your surgery and recovery go well. Take Care :-)
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you so much bubbles73. I'm so glad I found this site. Knowing that there are other women here that understand is helping so much with this whole thing.
I've decided to stand firm in my decision to keep my cervix. My doc is wonderful and I know that she really does want what is best for me (shorter healing time, less invasive procedure, fewer scars...) but this decision is so personal. I'm just going to have to be VERY honest with her about my reasons for wanting to keep my cervix.
My best friend/husband is a blessing. I would be a bawling mess of goo if it weren't for his support right now. (ok, sometimes I am anyway.)
Unread 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHobbit View Post
Thank you so much bubbles73. I'm so glad I found this site. Knowing that there are other women here that understand is helping so much with this whole thing.
I've decided to stand firm in my decision to keep my cervix. My doc is wonderful and I know that she really does want what is best for me (shorter healing time, less invasive procedure, fewer scars...) but this decision is so personal. I'm just going to have to be VERY honest with her about my reasons for wanting to keep my cervix.
My best friend/husband is a blessing. I would be a bawling mess of goo if it weren't for his support right now. (ok, sometimes I am anyway.)
I'm the same way with my hubby. He's even coming to my doctor's visit with his own list of questions. I'm still on the fence with my cervix and will decide with my doctor today. I am also thankful for everyone's honest and candid experiences. This site has been a God-send. Hugs to everyone!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register