How do you increase your estrogen? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you increase your estrogen? How do you increase your estrogen?

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Re: How do you increase your estrogen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon68 View Post
The only one that was offered was HRT?
I explained ert and hrt above. Are you reading what I posted? Only difference between ert and hrt is that hrt may also contain other hormones. However; many use the two terms as the same, so yes you were offered estrogen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM

I did read what you posted, I also said that hrt caused me to still get night sweats and I didn't want to have it increased, as well my sister had ovarian cancer and my doctor wasn't comfortable with me staying on it.
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:25 PM

HRT is not "one" thing. HRT is hormone replacement therapy. It includes ERT (many types of estrogen-only medications) as well as some combination products that include estrogen plus some type of progestin and/or androgen.

You say you tried "HRT". Which one? What dose? If it didn't work, why didn't you ask the DR for a different type/higher dose? DRs are not mind readers. If you tried it, stopped using it and never mentioned it again, why would a DR know to ask you if you want to try a different one?

If you are having menopausal symptoms that you don't want to live with, TALK with your doctor.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM

Ummm, I've been dealing with this and another serious medical matter, please don't tell me to TALK to my doctor when I already keep in regular contact with him.

He also said he doesn't like patients on HRT. As for which kind I was on it was CEF average dose. The last time I took it was August 2011. I've implemented soy products, don't drink alcohol, watch my spices as I know those are huge triggers. I do drink herbal teas and perhaps I need to revisit that to make sure of the caffeine intake.

I going to inquire about having my thyroid tested and my adrenal glands as well.

The onus is not just on me, the onus also falls on the doctor to recommend alternatives. Especially if someone like myself isn't aware of other options, regardless of various social networks to google and research
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:03 PM

"Keeping in regular contact" with a doctor doesn't mean you've told him you have menopausal symptoms you can't live with. Have you?

Unless you tell your doctor exactly what your symptoms are and say that you want help with them, it is NOT incumbent upon the doctor to offer you alternatives. Many women don't want to use anything to treat their symptoms. As I said before, doctors are not mind readers. I will bet that if you spell out the situation you will be offered choices. If you aren't, then it's time to find a different doctor.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:09 AM

Sharon, if you were already on hormones and still having hot flashes, then the dose was too low, but if you don't want to raise it out of fear of cancer, then you'll have to look at alternatives.

Some of those alternatives would be anti depressants, estroven and remifemin (over the counter) or just toughing it out and trying to make it better through nutrition and lifestyle choices.

I don't know what CEF is so I can't offer any advice on that specific hormone.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:40 AM

Ahh, I see you've edited your post to say you were on "CEF average dose". What is CEF? The only medication I know of that's abbreviated CEF is a chemo regimen, and I'm sure that's not it. Also "average dose" doesn't mean much... it depends on what your definition of "average" is. What was the mg/day?

By the way, soy will interfere with the action of estrogen replacement, in case you were using soy at the same time as the "CEF".

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Well after talking to my doctor yesterday, I am going to have blood work drawn to test for diabetes, thyroid (they don't draw for T3 or T4 anymore, only if absolutely necessary - funding cutbacks), adrenals he wants to do a fasting glucose and check my cholesterol.

Given the family history of cancer, we revisited my using estrogen replacement therapy. Given that I no longer have uterus or ovaries, he feels that I "should" be ok to go back on the ERT.

He agrees that all my symptoms show that I am dealing with low estrogen.

We went over my previous script dose of Conjugated Estrogens (which I just learned is Premarin) at 0.625 per day and have decided to start with that for now.

I started taking them again yesterday. We also removed a medication I was taking as it is no longer needed.
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM

6andcounting, I already am on an anti-depressant have been for a long time. I asked him about that and the longevity of using it and how it affects not just why am on it, but how will it work with my menopausal symptoms.

We also discussed creams, and otc products. He says he isn't against them, but some of them don't really pertain to what I am dealing with right now.
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Conjugated Equine Estrogens = CEE. that CEF had me really

It sounds like you are off to a better start this time.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register