Surgery next week picked hysterectomy over suspension need advise | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery next week picked hysterectomy over suspension need advise Surgery next week picked hysterectomy over suspension need advise

Unread 12-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Surgery next week picked hysterectomy over suspension need advise

For years, I had unexplained stomach bloating, pelvic pressure, back pain etc which I was told could be caused by my large fibroids.

So two years ago I had a Myomectomy because I wanted to keep my uterus and remove the fibroids. After my myomectomy my stomach bloating went away. Then about 4 months later all my symptoms came back and then i found out I had a uterus prolapse and a rectocele, I was told I didn't have any new fibroids because they did an ultrasound to double check. I asked the doctor if I could of already had this problem and he said maybe I wouldn't of told you anyway as its very common for woman and many live with it. After that I found another doctor.

That was in January. It is now December and I found a new surgeon and he told me my options are suspension or hysterectomy. The suspension is 90% and the hysterectomy with suspension of the pelvic area is a little less. But he said if I tack up the uterus the lower back pain that i have which feels like something is pulling won't go away. He said thats the feeling coming from the uterus which is prolapsing. Plus there is the 10% chance that the uterus/cervix could fall back into my vagina and I will freak out if that happens because its the worst feeling ever.

So I opted for the hysterectomy and keeping my ovaries in. I just hope i made the right decision I keep getting worried about it. I just want to feel better and have my life back to normal. Will I feel better? Was this the right decision? I'm also getting rectocele repair. I think I'm just freaking out because I'm only in my 40's and surgery is next week and I didn't picture having to do this. I just want to feel like my old self and not have to live like with these prolapses anymore its awful. I don't want to gain weight or have hormone issues, or change in s life. Especially since he has to suspend my V to my tailbone w/ sutures or something like that to strengthen it. I know this is good, but I'm still scared. Will S be different. Will I feel the same? He assured me that since ovaries are left in I will be fine. I hope he is right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Re: Surgery next week picked hysterectomy over suspension need advise

I do not have any experience with your medical condition, but I am sure some of the women on this site have. Hopefully, they will see the post and respond.

However, in general, you can always get another opinion on your condition. Having a hysterectomy is a major decision. You need to do, on balance, what is right for you and your health.

Good luck to you.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I actually already got 4 diff opinions. The last guy is the best surgeon there is in the Bay Area and he said I could do either. All of the other surgeons said hysterectomy. All I know is i can't live with the prolapses any longer. My whole pelvic floor is coming down so I have to have surgery just not sure which one is best choice. My gut feeling is to remove it because I feel like something is def wrong w/ it, but I don't know. I'm just scared. But thanks for your hugs. I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:07 PM

Hi Xtrafancy, i have a prolapsed cervix (its actually protruding from my vagina-nasty right), a 5cm fibroid (was 6cm @ last ultrasound) with multiple smaller (in the 2cm arena) fibroids sitting in my uterus. Been there a long time. i have opted hysterectomy and fortunately, because my fibroid shrunk a bit, we are hoping for LAVH. dr. trying to avoid abdominal hyster. I have back pain (actually pain all over down there), bleeding profusely (golf ball size clots) and bloating at times to the point that i could very easily be mistaken for a 9 mos pregnant woman. i am so done with this!!! jan. 17 cant come soon enough........... but, i am still scared to death. so happy i stumbled upon this site. i have learned so much. best wishes to you.
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM

Sweetie, I know how scary this is. It sounds as if you have done your homework and have numerous opinions. As I have no experience with your medical condition, I can't even offer a "in my experience" story. Sometimes your gut level response is the right way to go, though. Hopefully some additional women who have been through what you are going through now can post as well.

Good luck. Many (((hugs)))
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Xtrafancy! Go for it! I just had A & P mesh repair, sacral colpopexy, bladder sling, hysterectomy & BSO this past Nov. 22.

I was suffering from rectocele and can now have a BM without pressure or splinting! Now, when I urinate I can stop the flow like a great faucet! The sacral colpopexy is to make sure I don't have vaginal prolapse after the procedure (doc said the vag could prolapse in on itself like an inside out sock -- not for me!!!!). I have Estrogen receptive breat cancer so I don't need the ovaries! I take Tamoxifen which encourages uterine thickening and can feed uterine cancers so I don't need that bad boy either!

My surgery was 5.5 hours long and doc said she ran into complicatins with a small pelvis, scar tissue from prior surgery, etc. But, I stood up that evening and went home the next afternoon. I have had a good recovery and doc says I will be so pleased with my quality of life! I already am!

So, everyone needs to make their own decision but I wanted to give you a positive outcome story!
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM

What stage is your prolapse? Did they fit you with a pessary? I had the same surgery as 22tappy had done in 2 surgeries (long story LOL) following triple neg. breast cancer, not Estrogen receptive, but on Tamoxofen. A no brainer for me to lose the girl parts. But along with the prolapse - stage 4- it was a huge decision. Just did it. I feel great-I am 60- and I feel like a girl again. All parts are functioning well. As I had a very long recovery period, 18 weeks total, I feel I gave my body the very best chance I could to heal as that is what will keep these repairs where they need to be.

Only you can make this decistion for yourself. If you have had many opinions and done your homework, decide what you feel is best for you, and be at peace with your decision. I have a very young friend having this same surgery done next week. She can't wait to get her quality of life back, and this is exactly why I made the decision to have the surgery. I now have such a better quality of life, and I plan on being around a long time to enjoy it! Wishing you the best!
Unread 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM

HI I am also in my 40s and just had hysterectomy, bladder sling and rectocele repair - they said I had "The Works"! I was very scared but had my surgery on Mon and am feeling like a new person. No more daggers of pain, back pain, constant bladder pressure. So far I am really glad that I had it all done at once and the recovery has not been bad at all. Good Luck!
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM

All of you thank you so much for your responses. I have the same thing too as Sally 1964 cervix is all the way down so after you pee and wipe you can touch it. Its so disgusting. I'm not sure what stage it is maybe a 3 not all the way prolapsed but getting close. I'm only 42 never had kids so they don't know why this is happening to me. All I know is I already had a myomectomy which is a uterus repair for fibroids and now I have this. Sally yes the bloating out of nowhere and the backpain is horrrible. My doctor said that once the uterus prolapses that back pain won't go away if I suspend it will just be tighter because its still trying to prolapse and since my myomectomy repair only held up two years, I decided that I made the right decision by going with an H. Smurfskm yes I have the constant bladder pressure too. I'm so good to hear that you feel like a new person. Its a really hard decision, but quality of life over trying to keep a uterus that doesn't want to stay in your body is def more important. I already gave it a shot by doing the myomectomy and since that didn't work I think H is the right decision. I will post after surgery to let you know how all went. I'm getting surgery this Saturday. I"m getting a laprascopic hysterectomy, colpopexy suspension and rectrocele repair.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register