Outpatient??!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Outpatient??!! Outpatient??!!

Unread 12-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Re: Outpatient??!!

I'm doing ok. Still have good days and some not so good. I just get so worn out so easily and for every day of normal activity I feel I need a day to recoup. I babysit my granddaughters 3-4 days a week, they are 1 and 4 and I usually end up napping when they nap! Only problem is I'm groggy and dragging the rest of the day then when they wake quick and easily and ready to go go go!! Putting up Christmas decorations today about did me in. I did not do any heavy lifting, I have 2 teenage boys for that, but for some reason it was really hard on me and my tummy was pretty sore by the time we were done. I still wear my binder off and on depending on tummy soreness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Mine is scheduled for December 21st and it will be outpatient. It does make me nervous, but I hate overnights in the hospital! However, the doc said I may have to stay if things don't go as planned. Good luck!
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Something that I learned through all of this. The insurance and Dr.'s consider outpatient procedures as up to 23 hours of observation afterwards-so you may spend the night but you are not inpatient until after the 23 hours. If you need to stay longer they will convert to inpatient. I think it is just them trying to get along with the insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM

Thanks so much for the clarification. I do think they code it that way for the insurance purposes and only time will tell how long we are in.

On a side note, and venting a bit....I got my living room dusted and cleaned yesterday all day with the gushers. Tonite I tacked the laundry room to organize that a bit, only to come back upstairs and the two dogs, chaos and mayhem pretty much destroyed the living room. They are going to be a handful during my recovery!
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:14 PM

We have two inside dogs as well...they are small...but one is half Jack Russell...and boy he can be a handful...Hubby got a tie out situated at the door so he can just go out and then come in...as we do not have a fenced in yard and he is used to being walked. Hopefully it won't be too strenuous for me to deal with...if it is...in his pen he will go. The other is a 2lb Yorkie...she is no trouble at all.

I don't have any idea how long I will be in the hospital...I am hoping for as short a stay as can be...hate trying to sleep in a hospital...they never leave you alone...wish I had some idea...that is what is getting to me the most, I think...it is just getting quite close, huh?

We are going to do great...our families are going to do great...and all our qualities of life will improve because of this decision.
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM

I don't think 23 hour obs is fair at all.
My doc said one night, but I'm def staying two, I'm lucky my insurance allows it if I ask him too.

Good drugs need then and to go home with also.
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM

My surgery is scheduled with a 23 hour admit. Then home where I can actually rest.
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:41 PM

Mine was 23 hour observation as well. I was worried at first about how that was counted, but they start the 23 hour clock from the time you are done with surgery and in your room.

For me, it was fine. I spent the night in the hospital, in a room like a normal in-patient and the following morning when the doc came to check me out he said I was good to go home as long as I peed. I left around 11:30am the following day. I could have stayed through until the evening but honestly, I was exhausted and wanted to go home and sleep. At the hospital, they wake you up constantly so you get very little rest.

The 23 hour observation was perfectly fine. It's cheaper for insurance purposes and also less in co-pay for me. My doctor's office had an extended admission approval ready just in case something went wrong but it was just fine.
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Yes, Shan, we are going to do great! My mind wants to run through the experience this morning, and I haven't even "experienced" it yet. I am off to work for my last ditch effort of getting things done there.

So glad you have a supportive family. My boyfriend and I are celebrating 5 years together on this very weekend. Happy anniversary to him ) He is wonderful and took the day off to be with me.

Have a good day today!
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM

My surgery is also scheduled for 12/28, and it's written up as a 23 hour stay. We'll see what happens...Best of luck to you!! Keep us posted since your procedure is today. Keeping good thoughts for you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register