dVH/RALH SLEEP....Where have you gone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SLEEP....Where have you gone? SLEEP....Where have you gone?

Unread 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
SLEEP....Where have you gone?

So Suffering from lack of sleep....I feel like I am gng thru so many changes...I am not sleeping at night no matter how hard I try. I toss and turn, feel so much anxiety, go from my bed to the couch constantly. I am 4 weeks post op. If I do fall asleep its not for very long. I woke up at 3 am and been up ever since. UGH! Made a call to the dr - said most woman go thru this.....and to take Tylenol pm and if that doesnt work then he may need to call in a mild sleeping pill....Great just something else to worry about. I just took some benedryl, thats all I had in the medicine cabinet. I hope that helps...temporarily!!! any thought suggestions or comments....Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Re: SLEEP....Where have you gone?

I had many sleepless nights post op. At 4.5 months post op I'm still having troubles sleeping. I fall asleep ok and then at about 2:00 am (or even midnight) I'm awake and that's it. I get up at 5:00 am and go to work. I don't know how I'm functioning on so little sleep. I will sometimes take a Gravol (aka: Dramamine or dimenhydrinate) to help me get some zzz's. I told my doc about my lack of sleep as well.
Unread 12-02-2011, 04:49 AM

I am so glad that I am not the only person going through this. I have only been sleeping off and on. I am up all night and then around 9 or 10 am I get sleeply and sleep for a few hours then it starts all over. It is driving me and my family insane that I do not sleep at night that I stay up when everyone else is sleep. It is 5:48am now and I have been up since yesterday so I dont know what to do but I am going to try the Tylenol PM and see if it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 04:57 AM

It is very frustrating!!! I took benedryl last night around 9:30 started feeling sleepy at 10:30... I shut off my laptop and that was it!!! Slept the whole night!!! It's around 7 am now...
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:11 AM

One week out and I am with you. I fall asleep ok around 10 pm. Severe night sweats disrupt roughly every hour through the night and then I fight to go back asleep, so I am sleeping about half of what I used to and in intervals which is highly annoying. I took a benadryl last night and only got three uninterrupted hours from it until the night sweats. I am starting an herbal remedy for the flashes/sweats today, although it says it may take several weeks to work - if it works. I wonder what tylenol pm has in it?
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Ok, i just looked it up on the tylenol website and fyi, tylenol pm is a combination of tylenol and benadryl.
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM

I was 2 weeks post-op yesterday and started the insomnia earlier this week. My surgeon gave me some Ambien post-op, figuring that I might need it. The night sweats started last week, making me toss & turn, so this week I began HRT and I think that every few nights I will take an Ambien to catch up on zzzzz.
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Sometimes I fall asleep for about an hour and then I'm awake and tossing and turning for the rest of the night, other times - like last night....I just hope for sleep to come and it never happens! Sometimes the night sweats get me, sometimes just the insomnia! My doctor recommended Estroven for a short time (I can't use HRT) to try to help relieve the night sweats and help alleviate some of my other symptoms (crying, hot flashes, night sweats, moodiness, insomnia). I have to be careful about adding additional medications (like Tylenol PM, etc.) because I am already treated for Chronic Lyme Disease and Migraines, If I can't sleep, the Lyme symptoms increase and the headaches get worse - and now I have these hot flashes & mood swings. My DH is so understanding and sweet - he deserves a special award for what he's been thru this month!
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM

i havent tried tylenol but benadryl is working great for me.....I dont like ambien AT ALL. they say it isnt habit forming ...YES IT IS for me at least. Use caution with that medication ( just with my experience)
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Hi,
I'm 9 weeks post-op and still struggling with sleep. It is as if my body is tired, but my mind won't shut off.

I am trying all the suggestions with no success. I currently try for 3 or 4 nights to get sleep on my own and finally take an Ambien to get a good night's sleep about every 5th night.

I'm still looking for other solutions. I hope it gets better as I am able to increase my exercising and start using up more energy.

Best of luck to you with your recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register