Scheduled SAH Hello, December 5th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello, December 5th Hello, December 5th

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Hello, December 5th

I was sent here by another board friend, LOL. My sugery is Dcember 5th. And after 8 years of bloody heck I'm ready. I am nervous, so anyone here that has had an abdominal hysterectomy I'm all ears. Thanks for listening..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Re: Hello, December 5th

They just called, have to be there at 6:15. I know this needs to be done, I want it done. Still nervous, geez.
Unread 12-02-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm there with ya!
My TLH is on the 5th. But....I now have a horrible cold, so hopefully we can still do it. We will see!
It's the hardest decision to make I think. But I know we will come out on the other side, healthy and back to being normal!
Good luck on Monday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM

You too hon! I was a bit upset about the open surgery but after he explained why, I was ok with it. It just means a longer recovery, sigh..
I read some posts and now I know what I need to do/get before so that was helpful. I'm just really nervous..
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:18 PM

And I hope your cold is better by then. You don't need to worry about sneezing after this! (crosses fingers)
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM

I am a TAH sister on the other side. My TAH BSO was for a very large ovarian cyst and uterine fibroids.

Yes, recovery can be longer. And if you are like me, you will be sporting a lovely vertical scare - mine is about 6 inches long, starting just below my belly button. I am more than 6 months post op, and I still don't have the stamina I did before surgery (I am 46). I have read it can take up to a year to heal completely. BUT, I am much better than I was three months ago.

My main advice is to (this applies to hysterectomy types):
1. Follow ALL of your doctor's orders both pre and post op. Do not stray from these one iota.
2. Listen to your body. When it says rest, then rest. And that is exactly what you should do is rest, rest, and rest - become the
3. Don't be afraid to ask for help and do not over do it. Allow yourself time to heal.
4. Measure recovery in terms of weeks and months. If you try to do it day to day you will drive your self batty.

This site has a lot of good ideas on what to have and how to prepare in the pre-op section. I know this is an overwhelming experience, but you will get through it. Good luck.

(((Hugs)))
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:39 AM

Hi there, My surgery is December 5th also. Im so nervous and anxious to get it over with at the same time. I have excessive bleeding and fibroids. I had an ablation first, and that didnt work, so now we are doing the hysterectomy. Good luck and maybe we can support each other here.
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:45 AM

Hi ladies! First I wish you all the best of luck with your surgeries and healing. I had my TAH in July and have a 4.5 inch bikini incision which is healing really, really well. I had my hyster to remove multiple large and uncountable small fibroids, and to deal with anemia, bleeding, bowel compression, pain, etc. I feel like I am pretty lucky and have had a fairly smooth recovery.

Since I'm only a few months post op I still have some swelly belly and still get tired, some days more easily than others. But I would happily do this surgery over again to feel as good as I am finally feeling! For the first time in several years I have enjoyed decorating the yard for Halloween and now Christmas. I am much more physically able to do things, even while being careful of my still healing areas. I can eat normally again, have much less pain, and am getting better everyday. I am having some hormonal issues, but at 49 I was already having them before the hyster and at least now I can get some help with my symptoms by taking ERT.

My advice would be to get your recovery area at home as comfy as possible, get your meals ready, fill your prescriptions, buy some books and videos (I really wish my kindle fire had been around post surgery!), buy a grabber for dropped items (my best purchase!), and listen to your Dr. Follow their instructions, and if you have questions or concerns post op, you should ask them. Be ready to rest, rest, and rest some more. It's tough to take the time to rest, but as everyone here says, you only have once to heal so do it right the first time.

Hang in there, the waiting really seems harder than the surgery. Good luck and speedy healing!
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Thank you so much guys. The advice/support here has been so nice & helpful. I never would have thought of some of these things if I had not come here. Thank you. 2 more days and the excessive bleeding, horror clots, pain, headache, fuzzy feeling every **** day from anemia and crazy fibroids will be over. I miss me, can't wait till she comes back..
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Hi,
I'm scheduled for TAH Dec 5th too! apprehensive - of course. Just vacuumed the whole house and am going over my packed stuff for the hospital - yup - a few things missing, so one more trip to the store and then I'm set to go!
am very curious at how the recover will go.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register