Am I going to need a whole new wardrobe? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I going to need a whole new wardrobe? Am I going to need a whole new wardrobe?

Unread 12-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Am I going to need a whole new wardrobe?

I am almost 3 weeks post op and struggling with wearing clothes. I'm swollen so far up that even wearing a bra is uncomfortable. Reading other posts here, I'm really discouraged and depressed to hear that this swelling may last up to a year???? They took stuff OUT? Why am I bigger??? I can't go out anywhere because I can't wear any of my clothes. Do I just watch and wait? Do I buy new clothes? I really just want to cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Re: Am I going to need a whole new wardrobe?

I'm discouraged too...I had surgery the same day as you. My tummy was actually FLATTER when I first got home (2 days after surgery) than it is now...***?! Boobs feel heavy and were actually achey last week, just like I was pmsing...not hurting now but still feel huge and sore. I'm tired of sweat pants and yoga pants. I know I can't work out yet, especially doing ab work...and today, like you, I saw the posts from folks who were still swollen 9 months post op...*sigh* I don't have any info or advice, just know that you're not alone. Hope you improve soon...and me too!
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Hi,
I'm sorry you are still having swelling. It can come and go as you move further away from your surgery date, but they do say it can continue for months.

I had a lot of pressure right under my ribs with swelling. I wore sweat pants and stretchy yoga pants for many weeks. When I finally started wearing my regular pants again, I couldn't wear them all day. Even now at almost 10 weeks post-op, I can wear regular pants, but some days they feel tight and bother me.

It's a journey. Give yourself permission to make the journey and be ok with whatever you need to wear.

I have gained a couple pounds since the surgery (emotional eating) and it feels like 50 lbs when it is really about 3 lbs.

Rather than beat myself up on the rough days, I just wear my stretchy pants. I have good days and bad days. I choose to remain hopeful that it will get better.

Best of luck on your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM

I can't wear my jeans because the button and the belly button incision meet and vehemently disagree with one another. Fights break out over it.

Went to walmart today and got a pair of denim leggings. They look and feel like light jeans, but have a comfy elastic waistband. Only down side is no pockets, but it's not stretchpants. WOOOHOOOO.
Unread 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

I've tried my leggings, but the waistband is too tight, unlike the waistband on my yoga pants. Maybe I need to make a trip to Walmart tomorrow...hmmm....
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:00 PM

I went to Goodwill (US used clothing store) and bought bigger jeans and shirts. That way it wasn't too much of an investment, but I had clothes that fit and that I felt comfortable in. I finally ordered 3 pairs of LL Bean pleated pants so that I had something to wear to work. Plus there's always dresses. I would not make a huge investment, but would buy a enough pieces that you can go about your life without being frustrated by your clothes every day.
Unread 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM

Yes I too am feeling the same way & am almost 3 weeks post op ...... I'm going to look online & order some yoga pants & it looks like that is what I will be wearing when I go back to work. I had problems with my incision healing & the Dr prob won't be releasing me for another 2 weeks so I can lay around the house in pj pants until then but I am also afraid none of my pants will fit even then
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:17 PM

same here, I'm 4 months post op and finally broke down and purchased some new jeans. Still don't wear them very often, my go to pants have been nike dri-fit yoga pants. They feel the best and that's what I wear most of the time. I feel bloated everywhere! My arms, breasts, etc. Very aggravating but what can you do? I guess we'll just have to continue to try to make the best of it even if we're in our stretch pants!
Unread 12-17-2011, 04:49 AM

Yep, today I also bought myself new jeans. My most favourite pair that DID fit me better than any others and which had a classy look... I cannot wear them, and I reckon I never will. I am in mourning for those jeans
I can wear two other pairs but not very comfortably because the zip sits over my long vertical incision.

As regards leggings - I found a solution that works for me. For work, I bought three tunic tops that almost go down to my knees, and underneath I wear a long sleeved top, and leggings that are a size or two too big. The looser waistband on the leggings is covered by the tunic top which is not tight fitting around the waist.
This is a really comfortable ensemble for a job where you sit a lot... and swell up during the day.
It seems most of us are not swollen much in the morning but become so during the day.
It's still happening for me at 3 1/2 months, I'm afraid.
However, at least I am pain-free now - unless something tight is pressing on my incision.
Unread 12-17-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I am trying to see a positive in all this!!! I guess the MOST positive thing, for me, is that I work from home. I have always showered and dressed (jeans, normally) before I log into work. However, now I've become pretty comfortable working in my pjs and robe! I will say that I am now fairly comfortable wearing a bra--which for the first few weeks was very uncomfortable. My new wardrobe of sweat pants(which I have always hated) is become my norm when I go out of the house. I'm trying to accept all of this. I guess things could be so much worse. Thank you all for your stories and encouragement. At least I know I am not alone! And it has only been 5 weeks as of this coming Monday. Time heals all wounds! (at least I hope so!!!) :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register