Finally got my date set, but the bad news is... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally got my date set, but the bad news is... Finally got my date set, but the bad news is...

Unread 12-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Re: Finally got my date set, but the bad news is...

I'm glad your trying to keep a sense of humor about it. I'm actually one of the ones that prefers a male gyno. I've seen several females and they were all very distant and uncaring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM

You all have me very encouraged! Thank you!

I know this sounds weird - but I'm also happy to know that I'm not alone with this pain/discomfort thing. I keep getting the feeling from the way all the medical tests, etc., are going, that most women were sailing through this without the whole "living in pain" thing before hand. Now I know from reading here that this is absolutely not true. A lot of us are in pain - ALL THE FREAKING TIME.

Somebody said this in another thread somewhere (my apologies for not remembering who) but it seems insane that we can live in to our 40s+, go through bone surgeries, childbirth, tooth abscesses, broken bones, etc., etc., etc., but when it comes out our uteri we're suddenly suspect when we discuss pain levels. It's flabbergasting.

I'm pretty sure I know what the heck pain feels like. I didn't suddenly turn into a big whiny baby. Well, I did, but only because IT HURTS.

I think I'm starting to get nervous now that the date is set. I've had so many surgeries before you'd think I know better... but I'm still scared. Sigh.

I AM a big whiny baby. Grab me by my ankles, smack my fanny, and tell me to breathe.
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Lol. Yep must be some subliminal thing about removal of women parts that strikes fear in the heart. Latent memories of our grandmothers hysterectomies. Hang in there!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2011, 09:51 PM

I totally understand your nervousness and our modesty is one of the top concerns. I couldn't figure out what it was that was stressing me out until I finally voiced my fears of being so "exposed"! Just try to think that your doctor who you trust would not have an assistant that they did not feel was competent and "appropriate". I do smile when I reflect on a story I heard. "A woman was prepared for surgery, and they wheeled her out in the hallway preop. She waited, and waited, and someone finally came over, checked under her sheet and walked away. After two other such instances, she said, pardon me, but can you please tell me when we are going to get started??? One of the gentlemen said, I don't know, mam, we are just the cleaning crew!!" That poor lady!! I hope that I will be patient with a few males in and out of the room as long as they don't wheel me out in the hallway! Take care of yourself, and this, is a hurdle to get passed for the better.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:51 AM

I agree it is all a matter of preference and who YOU are comfortable with. I am 50 years old and lost my sense of dignity so to speak after an emergency c-section, regular c-section, laprscopy and finally my hysterectomy.....I have had good and bad drs of both sexes....I agree I had a really good female one who recently retired and her replacement was a male but he is just as good, answers all my questions, explains everything and makes sure I am feeling comfortable with him. I am ex- military from the canadian forces and while in the military i delivered 2 children but while I was pregnant had a female surgeron tell me it was ok to fuel aircraft while pregnant...sheesh talk about stupidity....she also had to treat a cyst that occured on the parts down below and told me i should be more clean and it wouldnt happen....upset me so as I showered every day that i researched it and found out it was a common occurance that some females got....but then i have had stupid male drs that assume everythig is in your head just because you are a female...then the first gyno that did the laproscopy also diagnosed me as having pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and told me he would work with me...again it is all a matter of preference and what YOU are comfortable with....just imagine him with a wig on and boobs...the main thing is to deal with you getting better and on the way to recovery....
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Kay

Sorry to hear you are distressed but here is some additional information.

You won't be naked, you will be draped with surgical sheets. The Drs will be at your sides during the procedure because the laproscopic ports will be in your abdomen. So they will be working where the camera and surgocal equipment is. Your uterus will be removed vaginally since you are having a vaginal hysterectomy but that might beyour Dr doing the removal and that would be for the smallest part of the surgery.

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM

If I am going to be sleep during the procedure I have to tell you I could care less who will be down there as long as they have the certification to be down there. (lol)

My surgeon was female and so was the anthesiologist BUT every other person I saw in the OR when I walked in was male. When it comes to anything OBGYNish modesty must go out the window - TRUST me I know that its easier said than down but the best doctors come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders.

Take a deep breath and imagine how WONDERFUL and better off you will be after the surgery. Good luck!!
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM

You are so right...modesty must go out the window, LOL.
Unread 12-03-2011, 05:02 PM

I love your sense of humor. Hoping it stays with you during recovery! By the time surgery day is here we really don't care who is in the room as long as they can help make us better. Hugs!
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM

As far as male and female gynocologists go, I tend to be like you. I would rather have a woman working on me because they tend to be familiar with those parts and gentler...also I don't worry about them being creepy LOL. My FIRST Gyn was a man and he as the only one that would take my state insurance at the time, none of the others were taking new patients. He was HORRIBLE. I got pregnant at 16 with my first child and I swear he man-handled me and treated me like he was punishing me for my mistake. I was so terrified of ever going to another! Even a woman!

Fast forward a few years and I developed pain I thought was a bladder infection and went to the Dr (a woman GP). Well when it didn't turn out to be a bladder infection she told me she would have to perform an "internal exam" at which point I just about flipped out, absolutely terrified. Being a nice and compassionate Dr she explained why it needed to be done and promised she would be gentle, and lo and behold she kept her promise. Thank god or I would still be terrified of exams

Anyway after decades I've had many Drs of both types and I have to say the gender doesn't really matter so much, it's really an individual thing. Surprisingly I've had more male Drs that were kind and compassionate (and gentle) than female! It just really depends on the person. My current Dr is male and I prefer him to my last (female). Maybe it will soothe your worries a bit to meet the Dr that will be working on you for the pre-op appt? I assume you have one?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register