recovery room info from dr | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

recovery room info from dr recovery room info from dr

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
recovery room info from dr

I am scheduled for surgery next friday and I will be going it alone. I am a single parent and my kids will be in school. My daughter is dropping me off at the center and will pick me back up the next day (they will be keeping me overnight I already know that) the thing is I know that there are questions about the surgery that I will need answered like what all he took, what did he find, any changes from planned recovery etc. So here's the question do you think that if I put each question on an index card and ask him to write down his answers (so I will have them later when I remember what is going on around me) that is an unrealistic expectation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Re: recovery room info from dr

I'm sorry you'll be going it alone like that. Some Dr's might be willing to do that and some won't. I know the Dr. who did my previous 4 surgeries would call my recovery room and talk to the person with me while I was in post-op observation still. Maybe yours would be willing to call your daughter at home,work,cell (whichever) and give her the information?
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:49 AM

I bet if you got a digital recorder (if you don't have one they're about $20 at walmart) he would be happy to record what he would have told a family member, and you can play it back and listen to it later...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Check with your doctor about your options. There may be legal and insurance issues that prevent him from writing down or recording comments.

However, if he is aware you will be alone, he may work out a means of answering your questions for you when you are coherent.

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:57 AM

I guess I need to be more clear. I won't have anyone in the waiting room. My surgery is scheduled for morning the kids will be in school until 3:30 pm. they will come see me after school but have b-ball games and won't be staying there with me (they would just get bored anyhow). The dr won't be talking to a family member or friend just me. I guess the digital recorder will be a good idea I can just turn it on and record what he tells me.
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Will they allow you to have the surgery with no one in the waiting room? I was told I had to have someone there in case there was a problem and the DR needed to talk with someone to make a decision about what to do. I also had to have a durable power of attorney on file.

My DR came to see me in my room later in the evening after she finished all her other surgeries for the day, and answered my questions then.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:42 AM

I have a medical power of attorney and a living will. They have not said anything about having to have someone there just that I will need someone to drive me home which I have. I have had surgeries before where my ride did not sit in the waiting room (achilles repair and knee surgery) so being alone doesn't bother me just more concerned he will tell me something after that I won't remember. Of course I will be staying overnight so hopefully that will help since it will allow me to be more lucid and if necessary ask the questions again if I don't remember asking them before.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM

I didn't have to have anyone in the waiting room (DH went home) ...and no one mentioned power of attorney until we got to the hospital the morning of surgery. We were asked if we had it and we said it was at home. I think they were going to have us do it there but she stopped when we said it was at home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register