Scheduled LAVH Interesting Twist at Work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Interesting Twist at Work Interesting Twist at Work

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Interesting Twist at Work

This is just coming to a head as of yesterday, so I'm not sure what's going to happen. LAVH scheduled for 12/28. Sent an e-mail to my manager, ops manager, and HR requesting my leave on Weds 11/30 at 11:17 am. Checked complex calendar prior to sending e-mail requesting leave, and there was sufficient coverage available between 2 other girls that do my same job (Ops Mgr is on vacation during 12/27 - 12/30, which was previously scheduled). Did not get a reply from my manager until 12/1 when he, my ops mgr, and myself sat down for a meeting. Manager says "I have an issue with this scheduling because we don't have coverage available". My reply, "Really? That's funny because I checked before I sent the e-mail and coverage was available".

Did a little digging on the properties of the calendar entries -both gals available for coverage added two days vacation each for the week that needs to be covered 2 1/2 HOURS after I sent out my request for leave. So that means my Ops mgr coordinated with these 2 gals to block my scheduled surgery, which is retaliation for requesting needed medical leave - a willful violation of FMLA. I immediately contacted HR and provided screen shots which showed the time stamp of when the entries were modified.

HR instructed me to go ahead and contact the disability company and set up my leave. Didn't hear from HR or my manager by the end of they day yesterday, so I'm sure I'm going to be walking into an extrememly hostile environment on Monday morning. I have every intention of contacting a lawyer and finding out my options.

Having this done is stressful enough without adding work issues to it, but I'm confident that this will turn out positive for me. This time, the law is on my side, and I have the documentation to prove that there was a willful violation. I'll keep everyone posted on how this turns out. And this comes from a person that I USED to consider to be a friend. Don't ever go to work for a friend, it's not worth the hassle.......

HUGS TO ALL!!! Stay Well and keep positive thoughts!!!
Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Re: Interesting Twist at Work - now preparing to contact an attorney

I've found that a sweet smile and a reference to having friends "at Fox8" (one of our local tv stations) often gets people into line... the thought of being on the wrong side of a special interest story gets most people thinking, "do I really want to push this?"

But you have to do it with the sweetest smile, or it doesn't work...
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Re: Interesting Twist at Work

Unfortunately, the Ops mgr has already crossed the line into illegal territory. I would be surprised if she wasn't actually removed from her supervisory duties, technically a violation that serious normally results in termination (especially for a high profile company that DOESN'T like bad press).

I'm not going to wait too long, but I am going to start researching attorneys in the area to find out what my options are. This last action just made it clear that she was more concerned about pushing her own agenda instead of being a team leader and creating a cohesive team that would help each other out in order not to impact operations.

Just one more thing for me to deal with - let's pile it on and see how much I can take until I snap......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:33 PM

I agree, who needs work worries at a time like this! I was so frustrated with my boss this week. She was unavailable Friday, so I sent her an email for a question expecting a follow up Monday only to get an automated message that she will be out of the office until 12/7. Well, that's the day of my surgery. So not to mention checking in to see if the trainee is doing okay, but hey good luck with your surgery and the very least Merry Christmas. I wonder why women are so insensitive about this? I will be thinking about you as you get through this work hurdle!
Unread 12-04-2011, 12:07 PM

That's awful! Definitely contact an attorney in your area.

Thankfully my boss' wife had a hysterectomy a while ago so he understood, especially since it was unplanned. I don't know if my previous (woman) boss would have understood.
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:37 PM

Oh, so sorry. My job is being a pain in the you know what also. I offered to do work from home while on leave so it doesn't mean they wont get no big money in while I am gone-then a week later they told me no, and that also I am not entitled to any of the paid holiday days while on leave, but I looked up in our policy book and it says that if you have a planned vacation you still get holiday paid days, so I don't fee that is fair-I work at a SMALL Dr.'s office not some big corporation. THey also keep saying they expect me back in 2 weeks! I'm telling my Dr. I have approval for 4-6 weeks off and I am not going back any sooner, so the heck with them-they told me at work I cannot return until my dr. writes a letter of release so I wont be getting one after two weeks I promise you that! Yea, I agree with you-the stress of this impending surgery is stress enough-I'm starting to panicd and dread how unsupportive my husband will be, and now work too-I really don't think I will go back fulltime either.

I Pray your job changes their minds and behaves properly with your leave.
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Oh my goodness! And I thought the comments at my work about "well, it's not like you're having MAJOR surgery or anything" were bad. Yikes!

My boss has gotten better about it, but still likes to dismiss the fact that it's major surgery that I am having.

It's not just about the surgery either...there are a lot of emotional aspects of the surgery as well.

Good luck with your job and I hope that things work out for you in the end!

Hugs!!!
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Good luck ladies and so sorry to hear about your work problems! Be teflon to the stressors for your own health! I am self-employed and have killed myself for the last 3 months getting all in place to carry on w/o me. Good news -- they CAN do it w/o me and are having fun showing me! I love that!

I hope your stories turn out positive! I am 13 days post-op from a 5.5 hr surgery and I feel great. I probably could go back to work (don't tell!).

The best thing about being super busy and exhausted before the surgery is the awesome rest and recoup you'll get from all those nice pain killers!
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:34 PM

Good news received, but still keeping the attorney's # in my hip pocket. Spoke to my manager and was told "Keep your original surgery date as scheduled, and I will deal with the backlash."

We get to have a conference call with the manager, ops mgr, myself, and the 2 gals that were originally available to provide coverage tomorrow at 10:00 am - this should be interesting. Asked the manager if he had spoken to the offender yet (this was at 4:45 pm), and he said no, would wait until the call. So basically, everyone but me is going to be blind-sided..........this ought to be REALLY fun!!

So SOME stress has been taken off my shoulders and I don't have to move my surgery date, but the next 3 weeks are going to be hell......all I can do is take one day at a time and do the job I'm supposed to do. Hopefully, they'll actually miss me when I'm gone for a while. Keep smilin!!!
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:12 PM

Oh good for you-that will be a very interesting phone conference!

I am trying to figure out how to say to my work to NOT CALL ME when I'm recovering-at least the first two weeks. They always text and call me when I'm off sick and it's not fair-especially this time.

I can't believe a manager would call this not-major surgery-that makes me so angry. We are all such strong women to go through this!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register