TAH Oh man in such horrible pain! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh man in such horrible pain! Oh man in such horrible pain!

Unread 12-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh man in such horrible pain!

I had my abdominal hyster on Dec. 1st. I was released from the hospital today. I have not had a real bm at all, or gas. I have horrible gas pains, but can not pass it. I had a small bm earlier, and it was (TMI ahead) mucasy and bloody. Is that normal? I am just in horrible pain, and all the doctor released me with was tylonel with codine. I had 16 staples in my belly and I just get tylonel! I am not happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Re: Oh man in such horrible pain!

Oh wow, I'd call and ask for one more meds! I was released with percocets, stool softeners (colace) and senna laxatives. I'd have someone go to the pharmacy and get you place and Sennekot to help with your bums for a few weeks. If you have trouble passing gas or having bm thn tell your dr. They wouldn't release me until I passed gas, thy want to make sure everything works! Hang in there, and rest up! It will get better.
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:28 PM

i told my doctor and she had me on good pain meds. Then today my doctor was not there and some other doc released me. She did not give me good medication to go home with. And I told them I was having problems with bm and passing gas and she told me that I just needed to move around more. I am not a happy camper, and I am starting to regret my surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Hi Sillysister2,

I had my TAH on Nov 22 and I didnt have a bm until 7 days later. The gas pains were horrible. They seemed to be trapped in my shoulder. Try putting a hot towel in the microwave and wrapping it in a dry towel and putting it on you. I had 25 staples and could not stand anything to touch my tummy, so I would lay it on my side and alternate to my back. It was a life saver.

Please call your doctor for stonger meds.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM

You need to call and tell whoever is on call that you're in pain. We need to be proactive in our own healthcare. You should be in pain- you just had surgery!!! You will feel better, don't jump to regrets yet. I didn't have a choice in my situation (cancer) but I'm 6 weeks out now and feel so so much better. Good and bad days of course but just know you will heal. Your surgery was only 2 days ago!!! As for bm, you need to take something like colace or senna to help because you do not want to strain!!!!!! Hang in there!!
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:32 PM

And the gas pain will subside in another couple days. It took me about 4 days to work that out. It was horrible!!! Heating pad was the only thing that helped at all!
Unread 12-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysister2 View Post
I had my abdominal hyster on Dec. 1st. I was released from the hospital today. I have not had a real bm at all, or gas. I have horrible gas pains, but can not pass it. I had a small bm earlier, and it was (TMI ahead) mucasy and bloody. Is that normal? I am just in horrible pain, and all the doctor released me with was tylonel with codine. I had 16 staples in my belly and I just get tylonel! I am not happy!
HI I hope I can give you some suggestions that can help!!---- I am 3 1/2 weeks post TAH. To manage the pain, if you are not allergic to Motrin, you can alternate motrin in between taking tylenol with Codeine. The average dose of the motrin is 600mg--- be sure you ask your doctor about the frequency to take it in between the tylenol ( usaully every 6 hours).

Pain management is important and critical to the healing process; if your tissues remain inflamed from the pain, there is a delay in healing and recovery!!-- Also, possibly you could apply cool packs to your incision to help relieve pain ( you can purchase from store). Get in a comfotable position so there is little stress on your incision like a recliner position, Lying down can be uncomfprtable at times on the abdomen and incision.

To help with the gas and BM, you can drink lots of prune Juice and take colace, or Milk of Magnesium to help you move your bowels!! Gas X is helpful with the gas too.

The reason for the excessive gas is because the DR, used gas CO2 to expand your abdominal cavity so he or she can visulalize the organs better; therefore, it is going to take some time for the gas to go away. Remember! drink plenty of juices, especially prune juice to get your bowels flowing, sit in a comfortable position to decrease stress on your wounds, apply cool compresses on incision if helpful, use a pillow when coughing and deep breathing. You can Use aroma therapy and soft music as a diversion. Your sleep may be a little off, this is not unusual just take naps during the day. No heavy lifting over 5 lbs. Rest Rest Rest!! I hope this helps!! you will get better--- keep us updated on your progres!! much love and prayers!!
Unread 12-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I am 50yrs old had my TAH on november 18 and I found that nov 19th saturday was my worst day. I had severe gas pains as well as other pains they had taken me off morphine that evening at my request due to the fact the iv leaked and I refused to allow them to put another iv in I had 5 attempts with only 2 successful I had enough they said i could not have any other pain meds if i went off the morphine. I could not get comfortable, went from bed to chair and back not sleeping finally asked for some pain relief given tylenol 3 (surprise they could give me something else) allowed me to finally sleep. I had a small bm but didnt really have a bm until I was put on solid foods. They were giving me colace which helped tremendously. It will pass but I would definitely ask for something else if the pain is not managable, cause if you can not rest you will not heal. I was released on the 21st with 37 stitches and staples tylenol 3 colace but i also took ibuprofen (motrin) in between the tylenol 3 but by this time the gas was moving but lord it was painful till it came out. It will get better try and relax as best you can, nap when tired, walk when able to even if it is just around the kitchen table a couple of times.....I am sending all the healing thuoghs I can your way
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:08 PM

Hi..im 2 1/2 wks post op..and trust i know what ur goin thru...gas x is really good for gas pains...eventually they will go away...give it time....as for as a bm goes...drink lots of warm prune juice and water...dont get to attached to laxatives..go the natural way!!!!....good luck on your recovery!!!
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:12 PM

I had TAH last Wednesday. I am still in the hospital because of blood issues and new one today is chills so I just gave several vials of blood to ck for infections. This bm thing is bothering me. I have not had bm. I am up and walking and very gassy and eating since yesterday. There, tmi....sorry.....is nothing there. I have sat on toliet but nothing but air. I am terrified bc peeing is still uncomfortable. I have to coax the urine out (adhesions on my bladder caused this). I am taking Colace 3x per day. Anyone have other ideas? Prunes, gag...what other foods cause bm?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register