Scheduled LAVH anemic | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
anemic

Question...If you are slightly anemic, will your dr cancel the surgery. My GP said i was slightly anemic, but im anemic due to all of this....that is why im here =) I have a pre op appt on the 14th with a list FULL of questions. I know i will have to ask him, I was just wanting a heads up. Thanks!:redflag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Re: anemic

I hope not. My bloodwork showed that I'm severely anemic. My pre op is tomorrow, so ill reply with my new knowledge.
I know that I'm exhausted, bored and driving my DH crazy.
Wanted to start a care calendar but kinda was hoping that someone else would take charge. ( it seems it's always me taking care if stuff. ) Even now. No parents or siblings and mother in law is self serving at best. I feel like I'm up a creek. Btw. I can't swim.

I'm praying favorable outcome for you.
Sending love.
Unread 12-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Thanks Skydutchess, I will be praying for your great outcome as well =) Please let me know what your dr says. I really hope they dont postpone, Im already having high anxiety and my surgery isnt even until dec 27 =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 03:55 PM

Probably not. He might give you some extra blood to help you prepare for the surgery and maybe some extra during the surgery. Even though I had been in the hospital a few days prior, and had already had blood transfusions, they gave me more during the surgery to build up my reserves.

I was nervous even though I know it was for the best and didn't have much time to think about it.

Initial recovery was pretty easy. Be sure to have your house set up with good, easy food and drinks you like. My husband had bought a lot of juice boxes, which were easy to pick up for yourself and sip through a straw if you didn't feel like trying to sip from a cup. Have comfortable clothes and underwear available.

Just think that after the surgery you won't have the problems you went in with and can start fresh!
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:04 PM

Such comforting words. My bp had been running really low this week. That's odd for me. Praying once all the uterine issues are clear I can get off HBP meds. Large and heavy fibroids adding to my weight.

I will still post what dr says in the am.

Ball of nerves here.
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:54 PM

It depends. I was 10.2 hemoglobin pre-op (normal is 12 or more) but I got cleared by my hematologist. They didn't even have to give me any blood. Had it been too low, they would have done a small transfusion which boosts levels right away (as opposed to iron pills or injections which can take 3 weeks to produce new RBC.)

My hematologist also said to eat as much iron-rich food as possible leading up to surgery just because it won't hurt to start working on replacing that which you lose during surgery. (My operative report said I only lost 100cc's of blood so that's not bad.)

Good luck!
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:22 AM

thank you all very much, i feel much better, my gp dr, said i was only slightly (but i did not ask the number) anemic. So hopefully it wont be a bad thing =) I am having alot of anxiety over this and dont need to worry about surgery being post poned...i think if they postpone it just might give me the execuse to cancel =( and i really dont want that....just my nerves doing the thinking and talking for me right now ...im sure all will be ok
Unread 12-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Just back from my pre op and my pre admittance.
Anemia is not an issue.
Nail polish is.
In your pre op they address issues of needing blood. In my case they will provide it if needed. ( it's needed )
They also did an EKg, bloodwork, chest x ray.

Prayers to you for a healthy happy new you.
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks Skyduchess...I appreciate the feed back =) a chest xray tho???? do you know for what reason?
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Hello. No he wont. they will test your blood a day prior to surgery and then if needed you will get blood on the day of surgery, during surgery and after if needed. I had a blood count of 8 and needed blood. And you will feel soooo much better after the surgery. I was anemic for a long time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register