Scheduled TAH Getting in and out of bed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting in and out of bed? Getting in and out of bed?

Unread 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Getting in and out of bed?

Well, here is a question that is really worrying me: how do I get in and out of bed post-op? My bed is fairly high and has the head elevated about 7 inches. My legs are short and I have to climb into the bed and work my way up the incline. Do any of you have suggestions on making this any easier? I am going to experiment with my kitchen step stool, but there is nothing to grab to pull my self up.......sheesh......maybe I need to cancel this darn surgery!!!! Also, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis which keep me achy and sore....wondering if things will be unbearable after.....My surgery is Tuesday,Dec. 6th......I have nothing packed and I am trying to clean/organize things!! Ahhhhhhgggghh!!!!! (I think I need a hug....)

Robbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Re: Getting in and out of bed?

Aw honey...I'm sending you a hug!

I did not get "into" bed for several nights after getting home from the castle.

Several sisters here said they slept on the couch and I did the same. It was uncomfortable to turn over anyhow...so I knew I would be staying on my back. I did this for a few nights.

Then I slept on top of my bed with a blanket over me.

I knew when I was ready to get into bed under the covers.

You might want to stay on your couch longer than I did. I slept well there and I'm sure you will too.
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the "hug" and advice. I sleep in my recliner for 3-4 hours some nights now, so I will probably do that ....my DH is renting me a lift recliner that will hopefully make my "up and down" easier...I had a terrible time when my gallbladder was removed, and it was laproscopic. I know I can't stay still for long, so maybe I can benefit from the boost! I am overanalyzing every aspect of my recovery again..... Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 05:15 PM

Sending Hugs your way, morningangel

I feel your pain, I am 4wks post op and for the first 3wks I slept on the couch, for the same reason....my bed is to high and it was easier for me to get comfortable on the couch. After 3wks I couldn't stand it anymore and I wanted to sleep in the bed with my husband. I used one of my daughters step stools to climb on the bed on to my knees and then crawl up to my pillows.
Unread 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM

I was thinking the same thing...I am also short in the poot and my bed is fairly high...I am thinking recliner and couch for awhile...then bed...

It is getting closer, huh? You are a day before me...I go in Wednesday...I am a bit nervous...my hubby and kids have done a great job getting the house and things ready...I did make the decision today to go ahead and take off Tuesday...that way I can have a day to just "get myself ready." My sub told me today she is ready to take over...so I am going to let her.

We are going to do great...let's just get this surgery over with so that we can begin our healing journey!! =)
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM

The couch is where I have been for the last couple of nights as well. While I was in the hospital they actually sent me to ocupational therapy. Getting into and out of bed techniques was one of the first things we went over. They really do help.
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:21 PM

Shan--

Good luck to you! I hope things go beautifully for us all! I am working on getting the house ready, with the family's help, of course. I am so ready to have this behind me!! Take care...I'll be looking for your post-op posts later in the week!!!
Unread 12-04-2011, 07:24 PM

Skipp--

I will ask about occupational therapy...with this fibromyalgia, everything is a brand new challenge! Thanks for the info!
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:11 AM

I hooked my yoga strap to the foot board and kept it within reach, in case I needed to pull myself up. I haven't had to use it since the 2nd day post op, but it was handy.
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:22 AM

There is a technique for getting in and out of bed that they should show you at the hospital - easier than for me to describe!
I too am short and my bed at home is higher than the adjustable hospital bed. However, I never slept on the couch or in a recliner - it was late winter over here when I had mine and I wanted my warm bed.
It was not easy getting in and out of bed and I did it very gingerly for quite a long time strictly as i had been shown.
I sudddenly realised how much better I was when I found my self diving in the "old" way!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register