Scheduled TAH Getting in and out of bed? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting in and out of bed? Getting in and out of bed?

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Re: Getting in and out of bed?

I was very scared about getting in & out of bed or the couch. I'm 5' 3 and my bed is higher than my navel. I bought a one step stool and that did the trick for me. I slept in my bed from day one & on the couch during the day. It was uncomfortable either way.

Now, to lay down, just sit, use your arm to help lower your body sideways onto the mattress, roll over onto your back and scoot yourself (with your legs) over or up. Do the same when you get up.............roll over on your side, use your arm to push yourself up on your elbow, while in the same motion, drop your legs off the edge of the bed/couch and then you are up !

It is somewhat difficult because you will be sore but its not that bad. Just remember, to not strain your abs. Don't just fall backward it will hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Hi, I am 5ft tall and have a high bed. My DH in a moment of pure brilliance went to the store and bought me an aerobic step (for exercising) and it has been wonderful. I am 3 weeks post op and am still using it. He also bought a small bean bag, wrapped it in a bedsheet and placed it under my pillow so that I could "recline" in bed rather than lay down completely. This was wonderful for the first 4 days or so!!
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningangel View Post
Well, here is a question that is really worrying me: how do I get in and out of bed post-op? My bed is fairly high and has the head elevated about 7 inches. My legs are short and I have to climb into the bed and work my way up the incline. Do any of you have suggestions on making this any easier? I am going to experiment with my kitchen step stool, but there is nothing to grab to pull my self up.......sheesh......maybe I need to cancel this darn surgery!!!! Also, I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis which keep me achy and sore....wondering if things will be unbearable after.....My surgery is Tuesday,Dec. 6th......I have nothing packed and I am trying to clean/organize things!! Ahhhhhhgggghh!!!!! (I think I need a hug....)

Robbie
I will be having the an abdominal hyst. tomorrow as well!!!
I shall keep you posted on how I am doing and if i find out a way to get in and out of bed with ease

** HUG**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM

Closeout--I hope things go well for you! I am calming down now that it is this close. Do you mind sharing a few details with me about what you are expecting, such as pain relief? I am having an epidural that will attach to a pump. What about anxiety? I hope I won't need much pain meds...they make me sorta of crazy!! What have you packed for your trip to the Castle? Can you think of anything special that we need to do for our recovery room/nest? I plan on being a needful Princess! I may get a little bell to summon the servants as needed!! LOL Just kidding! Take care!
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM

To be honest, the first two or three days is not fun. If you have never had a C-section, just be ready for some pain. It gets better. I am 10 days post surgery and have minimal pain now.

The first few days hurt like hell getting in and out of bed. You have to use your arms to push your self and use the strength in your legs. By about day 5 or so...it gets easier.

Best wishes... and hugs.
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningangel View Post
Closeout--I hope things go well for you! I am calming down now that it is this close. Do you mind sharing a few details with me about what you are expecting, such as pain relief? I am having an epidural that will attach to a pump. What about anxiety? I hope I won't need much pain meds...they make me sorta of crazy!! What have you packed for your trip to the Castle? Can you think of anything special that we need to do for our recovery room/nest? I plan on being a needful Princess! I may get a little bell to summon the servants as needed!! LOL Just kidding! Take care!
Hey!! I have not given much thought as far as pain relief, like you are an not a fan of pain meds... but I will take whenever I am given. I have not started packing yet... but I plan on including a pair of warm fuzzy socks... my laptop, and ipad, Granny undies, pads, (what i wear to the hospital i will wear home). chap stick ..... if i think of anything else i shall add ")

Please lets keep in touch!
Unread 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM

sending you hugs xxx

I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritus in my spine and a slipped disc, Im really worried about getting in and out my bed Im only 5ft tall and my bed is high up aswell , I find it hard to get in and out on my bad days with fibro so not sure how to do it post op..

I might need help doing this for a while like everything else, Im trying to get my house sorted and meals cooked and frozen but it seems like a never ending task with 3 kids I clean up turn around and its like I didn't do anything lol and my kids are teenagers ..

Good luck ladies sending gentle hugs xx

Unread 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I sudddenly realised how much better I was when I found my self diving in the "old" way!
I try to do this and come up short still, same with the car.

My bed is a little higher (haven't slept on the sofa or chair, although if I can't sleep I come down so I don't wake my hubby), and I sit on the edge (a stool would be useful) straight on - not at an angle and the scooch a little bit more into where I want to be when I lie down. Then I slowly turn my body as I lower my torso and and put my legs up on the bed.

To get up, I put my hands under my bottom and sort of lever myself up. If my husband's around I ask him to help, but only if it's both hands, not just one. For the most part, though, I don't really need his help, but like it anyway!
Unread 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM

I have had 3 'open' abdominal surgeries in the past 5 years...my bed is high too. We have a suitcase-sized safe (for our documents), which my husband placed next to our bed, and I used as a step to getting in and out of bed. It's heavy enough that it didn't slide on the carpet.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register