freaking out....depressed....how to prepare?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

freaking out....depressed....how to prepare?? freaking out....depressed....how to prepare??

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
freaking out....depressed....how to prepare??

I'm scheduled Jan 03.. .how do I prepare myself & family?? I have 3 kids..5,7 & 8. How am I going to take care of them and myself? We don't have family that lives close by.. .my husband has to work. He'll be off the day of my surgury but returns the day I come home. He's going to go in a little later so he can get the kids to school. But I'm just worried about the afternoons, dinner, bath time & bedtime. Can you tell I'm freaking out ....lol
I'm also trying to quit smoking...I'm on day 4 no cigarettes. .using patches.This is not helping with the stress I'm going thru. In worried about the hysterectomy, Christmas for the kids, and financial obligations. I need a hug and any and all advise. Thanks ladies!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Re: freaking out....depressed....how to prepare??

Hi Lap,
I would definitely make bunches of freezer meals for the kids/husband. Let the 8 year old put the meal in the oven (until you can lift) and you start the oven (it wont hurt the meal to be in there while the oven is pre-heating). Bath and bed time are going to have to be Mom-guided, kid-driven. If you talk to them before hand and explain that "Mommy is going to need help" you'll be surprised how well they will adjust and how willing they will be to help Mommy out. Remember, even if everything is not perfect and things don't get done as they usually do, it will just make them that much happier when you are feeling back to 100%.
*HUGE HUGS* on the quitting smoking!!! I quit 6 months ago when my husband had a heart attack (we both quit) and it's been the best thing I've ever done. Believe me, I've had surgery when I was smoking and the only thing I could think about was how badly I needed a cigarette, this time I was thrilled that I didn't have that feeling!
Remember to breathe, and most of all remember to take care of yourself!!
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:22 AM

I agree whole heartedly with scared--ee-cat's reply. Your kids are old enough and at the age to step up easily and be Mom's little helpers. They will grow in leaps and bounds from going through this with you and learning the gift of their abilities to help out.
Please do not worry about how perfect your house looks or when and if beds are made etc..... This is your time to heal and enjoy your family and what you can accomplish together of the have to's and not worry about the, "it would be nice if this were done," things. When they are at school make sure you get plenty of rest and do things to pamper yourself. I am sure the DH will help out when he gets home. I am amazed at how fast 6 weeks can fly by. Please do follow the weight lifting restrictions etc. so all heals well and you don't end up prolonging the recovery periord because you pushed too soon....lots of threads about this happening!!!
Huge kudos on stopping smoking
And here are many for you dear sister!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Not much more good advice other than check out the lists for preparing yourself and your house before so you have as little to worry about as possible. I had help the first couple of days but really, it was the first day home I needed the most help. Do set up a bedside station: a chair to help you sit up, a notebook (I marked down every time I took medications, it helped me when I was foggy!), pillows, magazines, books, maybe a radio or tv, tissues, water bottle, meds. Have an extra small pillow (maybe a stuffed animal from one of your little ones?) for support if you cough or when you stand. I highly recommend the belly band with the hot/ cold packs. It helps you get around so much better and the packs worked when I couldn't take pain meds. Loose clothing, I cannot recommend this enough. I was lucky enough to be able to go commando, but if you have discharge, you'll need panties (granny are best if you have abdominal surgery.) Oh, have a phone near the bed, and one thing I did was have my little one come in and do homework with me. It gave us bonding time plus, she would bring in her own books to read to me, and we could play simple little kid games together. Be very clear and honest about the surgery, let them know that this will help mommy feel better, but it will take some time to recover.
I had a TAH and a thousand complications, but the worst was over when I woke up in post op. There was pain, but there was also an absence of pains that I didn't realize were uterine related.
I will tell you, there will be bad days. Accept this, get hugs from your babies, and let them now this is part of healing. For now, though, for you from me, big hugs and lots of good thoughts and prayers for you and your family! I'm 2 1/2 months post op and still get very tired, but I had a lot to overcome from before. I think it was maybe 2 weeks of really hard recovery but if you have mobile little ones, they can be soooooo great in helping! We'll see you on the other side!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register